Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with network speed as well as latency

basil-d
Dabbler

Problems with network speed as well as latency

The problem:

I'm having issues with my internet connection's speed and latency, and frequent drop outs as well.

Firstly, Latency: I get pings of more than 3000ms to google sometimes, and then suddenly its all fine back down to under 50ms. This happens on wireless and wired connections.

Secondly, speed, sometimes the connection speed is so slow, that even google.co.uk takes several minutes to load.

And finally, and most annoyingly, over the last few days my net connection completely drops out for several hours at a time.

I do know some networking, and have even done 2 semesters of it as part of my CS degree. So I can follow instructions, and can share any telemetrics from the router (I just dont know what is relevant to post upfront.)

I have tried contacting plusnet customer services (6 times overall), but after waiting for more than half an hour each time, I mostly get the standard "have you tried turning it off and on again and waiting a week" kind of answers. So would appreciate if any of you folks could suggest things to check, so that the next time I approach them, I can present a more cohesive case rather than go through their script again.

Some bits of relevant information:

1. I live in a new build, connected to a crowded cabinet. So I only expect speeds of 1-3Mbps

2. No wifi channel crowding - I have the problem in wired and wireless mode, only 1 other SSID is visible from my house.

3. I do not have any connection intensive services that I know off - (i.e. bit torrent)

4. I have tried turning it off and on again, several times, and have tried 2 different plusnet routers (same model though)

5. Have tried connecting to the main port in the house.

Thanks and Regards,

Basil Dsouza

Tags (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Problems with network speed as well as latency

Over the weekend your line was disconnecting a lot, however prior to Friday and since yesterday afternoon this has stabilised.

Are you still seeing the latency issues today?
Can you think of anything locally that may have caused interference or electrical noise over the weekend?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
basil-d
Dabbler

I am not seeing any latency issues at this present moment, but it has happened many times over the last few months. I cant imagine anything inside my house that could be causing this. However, I just noticed (while trying to make a call) that my landline has no dial tone (This is probably only the second time I have used my landline since I moved in, so I dont know since when it has been like that). 

How would you recommend I approach the problem? I am not in a position to call customer services at the specific time that I face an issue since it is often out of hours for support, and also the long waiting period. 

Chris
Legend

Leave it with me, I'm just testing the line and I'll create a support ticket on your account with my findings and next steps shortly.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

I've tested the line and the result is an issue on the Openreach side of things, this means there's no engineer required to visit your premises at the moment and the fault has been passed to Openreach for investigation.

I've put this info on a support ticket you can find here.

basil-d
Dabbler

Thanks for the update and prompt action Chris.

Just for my reference, could you tell me what the problem was? I noticed that the ticket has "Wiring fault" mentioned in it. But is this only causing the phone line to be dead? or is it possible that this is the cause of any other stability and latency issues?

Chris
Legend

Any issues on the phone line can have a knock on effect for the broadband, especially stability and speed wise. It's possible that the issue on the phone line is causing errors on your broadband causing the problems you're seeing.

For others who may be reading, the detected fault is "Wiring fault between EvoTAM and legacy linecard" at the exchange/MDF.

Once that's resolved let's see how your broadband is performing and take it from there.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

And for those who may be interested here's a picture of an EvoTAM...

evo_tams_telent

Smiley