Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with my broadband

yogiontour
Dabbler

Problems with my broadband

Hello!
A few weeks ago I change my broadband from BT to plusnet. This was due to the fact that our BT home hub hardly ever connected to the internet and when it did it never was faster than 120kbs.
I moved to plus net to prove to BT that the fault with our internet wasnt due to any modem issues.
We have always had a very noisy line and now we have plusnet I have had 4 engeers come out and fix it this week.
They have gotten rid of the noise, but our new router rarely connects to the internet and when it does it never connects faster than 120kbs. An interesting point though is that my router sys its connected at 8 mbs and has a snr of around 10db
Does anyone anywhere have any idea what the fault may be....BT have no clue and I feel im going to have to find out for myself! I'm so desperate to get this fixed....nobody knows what its like to download at 120kbs haha!
25 REPLIES 25
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Problems with my broadband

Could you start by posting the results of the BT Speed Tester.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if your new its http://www.speedtester.bt.com and you put in username@plusdsl.net (i think as I am on another isp) but it is the one that pn gave you to set up your router.
yourl have to excuse HPSauce, he seems to be having an off day, but is very, very good at diagnosis
HPsauce
Pro

Off day?
Just in a hurry (was just going out) and trying to help. Wink
And why waste effort telling someone how to do something if they know already, they can always ask. Cheesy
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We have always had a very noisy line and now we have plusnet I have had 4 engeers come out and fix it this week.

If the noise on the line has now been fixed, then as long as your router keeps connecting at a high speed the IP Profile as shown on the BT Speedtest will increase too, this normally takes around 72 hours to improve. Once this has updated then you should see higher speeds coming through on a speedtest.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
paulby
Grafter

my router sys its connected at 8 mbs and has a snr of around 10db

As Chris has said, your throughput speed should increase within 3-5 days provided you stay synced at 8128 (it takes that amount of time for BT to raise your IP profile).
Have a look here for an explanation of how BT's systems work.
yogiontour
Dabbler

Hey guys sorry for the slow reply...been busy all day! But cheers for all and any help you have / will give...
I got home to find the usual...my router wasn't connected to the net...but the dsl light was on...have no idea what this means...
Here are my speedtest results
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 112 kbps
112kps is pretty sombre...I remember having a faster connection when people still thought the world was flat!
I'm guessing it aint anything wrong with my computers cos ones a pc and the nets naff on that...and the others a MAC...and they 'Just work'.....yer right!
Anyways cheers guys!
yogiontour
Dabbler

And here s some router stats for those of you who know abit more than most!
ADSL Statistics
Mode: G.DMT
Type: Interleave
Line Coding: Trellis On

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 8128  448

SNR Margin (dB): 8.4  27.0
Attenuation (dB): 39.0  22.5
Output Power (dBm): 12.0  19.8

Super Frames: 198888  198886
Super Frame Errors: 11  0
RS Words: 27048832  1690531
RS Correctable Errors: 69619  0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 197  N/A

HEC Errors: 8  0
OCD Errors: 0  0
LCD Errors: 0  0
Total Cells: 64815520  0
Data Cells: 504943  0
Bit Errors: 0  0

Total ES: 6  0
Total SES: 0  0
Total UAS: 12  0
HPsauce
Pro

Well, how long has it been like that?
If it's more than 3 days it's a classic "stuck profile" and raising a ticket with PN should get it "unstuck".
The sync speed is very good for the line attenuation, but not impossible.
The stats do look a bit odd though, what is your phone wiring setup - extensions etc.?
Edit: I thought BT had introduced some new logic and massive sync speed increases (as here) should start adjusting within hours?
MickKi
Grafter

I am not sure if moving from BT means that your line will need retraning.  If so, wait for your line to finish training - 10 days or so.  Until then power-cycle the router once or twice a day.
With this sort of attenuation you should be able to get an IP profile of 6000 or 6500 with Interleave on (assuming your telephone wiring is in a good state and you achieve an SNR margin of 6dB).  Your throughput will thereafter increase accordingly up to 6000-6500 kbps.
HTH.
zubel
Community Veteran

Not too far off my own router stats:
ADSL Link  Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 36 db 10 db
Noise Margin       9 db  27 db
Sounds like you have either had a faulty resync recently, or you may have a stuck profile.
Raise a ticket, asking the CSC to check any recent resyncs on the line and ask their advice as to whether you have a stuck profile.  They should be able to access all the most recent resync events and could tell you if anything is amiss.
It may be worthwhile linking this thread so they can see the background context.
If you get no joy, PM one of the Comms team on here (or they may notice this tomorrow) and hopefully they can look into it for you.
B.
yogiontour
Dabbler

Cheers guys,
I woke up this morning and found the internet not connected....dsl lights were on but no connection.
Im going to give bt another ring tonight and ask them whats going on!! It has always been like this so waiting for the line to train sounds doubtful considering it doesnt stay connected for more than a few hours...A stuck profile (Whatever that is!) sounds more like it.
I doubt it has anything to do with any wiring setup in the house as its plugged into the master socket and the bt engineers i have had out say the line has no faults....
I have to say though the help you guys have given is fantastic!
cheers
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: yogiontour
Im going to give bt another ring tonight and ask them whats going on!!

I'm not sure that's going to be the most effective route, unless you have an open fault with them directly.
Normally you can only call them for phone faults (assuming they're your phone provider). If you haven't done so already I'd raise a ticket with PlusNet and let them investigate and take it up as appropriate.
James
Grafter

Yep, definitely raise a ticket with us Smiley
But before you do that, I'd make sure that you're connecting your router to your master socket via a filter and that you've tried changing that filter too.
If it's at all possible, try using a different modem or router to see if that stops the connection problems.
yogiontour
Dabbler

My router has been connected to the master socket ever since I have had it....bt even came out 6 months ago when we had bt home hub (That had the same fault) and fitted a new master socket.
I have changed the filter...all with no positive ending...And I have tried connecting with my router, a standard broadband modem and the home hub...all dont work...
How do I go about raising a ticket with plusnet?