cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with broadband/phone line

Eldaniel

Problems with broadband/phone line

Hi, recently my broadband started disconnecting but usually coming back up pretty quickly. I also noticed that speed of internet is much slower. I.e. 15 instead of promised 35mb/s.
Yesterday I tried to do phone line test and there was no signal on landline but broadband was still working. Today broadband disconnected and I had a thought to check landline and ... There was signal. I did a noise check and no noise. Then broadband came back quickly and landline signal was still there. Now much wife checked it few hours later. Broadband is there but no landline signal... Can someone explain to me what is possibly causing it? Any advice appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Problems with broadband/phone line

The phone needs both lines connected, broadband can work albeit with degraded performance with just one line intact.

You need to report a phone fault rather than broadband fault to whoever supplies your phone service ( not everyone uses Plusnet). If it's Plusnet you will have to phone or use live chat as the online facility is currently down.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Eldaniel

Hi, would openreach or BT charge me for that? How does it work. Plusnet said they could sent engineer I could be charged £65 if it is not their fault. The question is are they going to take £65 and walk away or they will try to fix it even if it a line fault. Or they will charge me £65 and then BT will charge me again +£100?Huh
Guy from Plusnet just asked me to put broadband cable in a master socket. He did not even ask me to do any tests with my landline. So now is pretty obvious that getting Plusnet engineer first will be just a waste of money? Am I right in following that logic? Thanks
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear you're having connection problems.

If you've tried the the troubleshooting steps Here then you've ruled out the most common cause for an engineer charge. Regarding the charge if applicable we'd apply £65 to your account within 90 days of the fault investigation closing.

We robustly defend all engineer charges and are very stringent when before accepting them.

That said, line tests are failing with a potential external fault so I've reported this through to our suppliers now and they'll send an engineer out to investigate over the next 1-3 working days.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Eldaniel

Hi, but I will be away. Is that ok? Or will they need access to property? Thanks Daniel
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Daniel.

No that'll be fine, it's unlikely they will need access to your property but if they do the engineer may try to call you in the first instance however if you're unavailable they'll just pass the job back to us to book an appointment with you if necessary.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet