Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems streaming You Tube

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Problems streaming You Tube

You will get a much better result by downloading the TV versions and then playing them back.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

scootie
Grafter

you tube unplayable on unlimited right now.
me thinks PN need to increase the shadey sperate 0x80 Utube sig to have a little bit more bandwidth rate limit as normal qaulity is pausing for me every 3 seconds and looking at my bandwidth monitor i would say this shadey sig at the moment only has 400kbps givin to it.
sort it out PN. its not on giving us DS filelds to see which prioity traffic is in and then telling us actualy even thoe utube comes back as 0x80 on wireshark we still have a rate limit placed on it. this means the info on the PN site is mis leading as gold is ment to be line speed.
EDIT.
this has been brought up many times in this thread and yet PN have still NOT made mention of the peak time rate limit on you tube any where on the expected speeds page ect. brushed under the carpet and all ive seen in this thread as advice from PN staff is to pause the vid for abit to let buffering get ahead enough for it not to pause during playback. not on and it needs a couple of 100kbps extra giving to the peak time rate limit and if its plan b config messing it up then the plan b config needs setting up as to not touch the you tube shadey sig
rant over  Smiley
Dubb3d
Grafter

Just wanted to add my name to this problem, I noticed it a while ago and just thought it might be the websites faults, but after trying for a few days now I cant stream anything on youtube, however, things like iplayer are fine.
Some videos allow you to right click and look at the streaming speed, during the day this is anywhere from 200kpbs upwards, but right now looking at some videos its as low as 20kbps.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

YouTube is classed as a progressive download streaming site as per the high demand operation page here:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/load.shtml
As it's ranked as medium on some products under the Plan B config it will get slowed down to try and protect browsing.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
scootie
Grafter

well it dont help protect web browsing on unlimited as both are classed as medium  Wink
also can you confirm if plan b is in place on the thn-ag2 box and if so whats the need for it to be on the trail box that has plenty of spare capicty as we keep geting told?
VileReynard
Hero

Since You Tube is 99.99999% rubbish, you miss very little.

Dubb3d
Grafter

So looking at the staff replies here are they pretty much saying too bad its working as intended?
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: dave

As it's ranked as medium on some products under the Plan B config it will get slowed down to try and protect browsing.

Yes but browsing isn't being protected because of your classification of anything coming from Akamai as "download" traffic which is now basically killing off several big sites on the internet in the evening.. Is it too much to ask that my Facebook home page doesn't take 2 minutes to load at night, that I can surf the BBC news website and not have to wait for the images to trickle in, that I can get onto Ebay or PayPal, or read the Times on line?
The deafening silence from PlusNet over this problem which predates the MS updates (which was the stated reason for Plan B config), and is still going on speaks volumes.
My BBYW Option 2 is pretty much useless in the evenings now.
We pay for a service, yet you seem to be unable to deliver on your promises.

mentalist3d
Grafter

I must be one of the lucky ones, as I have never had a problem with streaming videos on YouTube, iPlayer, etc. regardless of the time of day. The only thing that is restricted for me is p2p download speeds but only until midnight, which is fair enough. Hope you all manage to get your problems sorted out.
VileReynard
Hero

Me too! Grin

pierre_pierre
Grafter

and me Smiley  just done a BBC new page with pic - 3 seconds
Azagoth
Grafter

This is still a major problem.  Can someone try this link
>
and see how it performs.  As of now, 14:10 the video has been 'loading' for 10 minutes and it isn't even 25% done.  Don't bother to ask about steaming it, it just does nothing but sit there buffering.
Surfing is fine though, it's just this.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no trouble here  11 sec to load, (bottom right)
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Even quicker 9 seconds and no problems Smiley
mikeb
Rising Star

Quote from: Azagoth
This is still a major problem.  Can someone try this link
>
and see how it performs.  

Hmmmm, the responses that followed this post is what seriously pees me off about forums in general and often this one in particular I have to say. Here's a guy having some problems and all he gets is pretty much a bunch of "mine is bigger/better/longer/faster/whatever than yours" stylee posts in response Sad  No offence meant to the specific users who actually posted above as I'm quite sure they don't really mean to appear 'unhelpful' and all that but please at least think before you respond to others experiencing problems and above all, please ensure that what you say is sensible and that any stats quoted are at least remotely plausible !  
As someone who has experienced shedloads of probs myself over the years with the likes of youtube and PN dodgy traffic management and/or other similar issues in general, I have plenty of sympathy for Azagoth.  However, in this particular case, I think the explanation may be quite simple and NOT really a PN issue at all.  This is a ridiculously high bandwidth/resolution video and anyone claiming to have it DLd it in anything less than SEVERAL MINUTES is being significantly less than honest or is very confused  Cheesy
The total DL is ~100MB and after a several seconds delay of not doing anything at all it took ~8 mins to DL completely on my 2Mb fixed speed connection with playback paused.  That's not very far off being maxed out and I have to say it's quite probably the ONLY time I have EVER seen a youtube vid DLing at anything over a few 10's KB/s !!!  In short, for a 6(ish) min video it's bl**dy huuuuuge and has consumed far more of my BW in the last 10 mins than I would expect to use in an entire day and I'm not even remotely interested in watching it  ;D:
There is absolutely no way that this video will EVER play whilst DLing unless your connection is around 3MB/s or better and is being maxed out.  Similarly there is absolutely no way that it can ever be DLd in less than several mins almost regardless of connection type/speed. On an 8Mb connection it's still going to take at least a couple of mins providing that youtube is serving it and PN are delivering it as fast as possible.
In addition to that, the spec of the PC being used is VERY significant here as well due to the amount of data being shifted around. For instance, on the 2.4GHz P4 system with a brand spanking shiny new minimal install of WinXP and all the very best/fastest drivers available that I've just tried this out on, there is absolutely no way it would ever play whilst DLing no matter how fast the connection may be.  In fact it can barely be played after it's been DLd completely as the CPU is pretty much maxed out just playing it from cache never mind trying to DL it or do anything else at all at the same time.
Sooooooo, in summary, this particular video will:
(1) Always take at least several mins to DL fully even on the fastest connection  DLing 100MB in a mere few seconds is just not going to happen in reality at any time or place in the foreseeable future is it !
(2) Probably can't be watched without pauses whilst DLing even on the fastest connection and when the network is pretty quiet.
(3) Might not even play sensibly after DLing unless you have a reasonably shiny new(ish) go-faster PC.
and lastly,
(4) Was a complete and utter waste of my BW so please consider choosing something much more 'interesting' and/or 'entertaining' and something that I might actually want to watch next time Mr.Azagoth : Tongue
Of course all of the above still doesn't really resolve or explain the problem fully because we don't actually know if what is being experienced is simply  "a fact of life" or is not up to the appropriate standard.  What is your connection speed, line stats and PC spec ?  And does the vid ever DL completely given enough time (if so how long does it take) or does it die part way through which is the the kind of problem that I most often experience ?
PS: Here's hoping that I'm reasonably correct in my figures/estimates above (and not an order of magnitude out) after suggesting that others may not be correct with theirs  Undecided  TBH, I only had a quicky try using netmeter to monitor the total data being DLd and a convenient clock on the wall to time it coming in.  Not exactly the most scientific of tests or well controlled to say the least !

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue