cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems streaming You Tube

Tsonga
Grafter

Problems streaming You Tube

This was mentioned in another thread, but probably escaped notice because it was OT. I did a Wireshark capture of a You Tube interview which I am trying to watch and it comes up as 0x80.
Does anybody know why some of us are finding it impossible to watch some You Tube videos even on regular quality streams?
Any pointers would be much appreciated, as I would really like to watch that interview. Thanks!  Smiley
138 REPLIES 138
Santiago
Grafter

Re: Problems streaming You Tube

I am on Premier Option One with a profile around 4000/5000. I watch you tube, live leak, news videos etc during the day with no problems at all.
However come late afternoon they become unwatchable as they just constantly buffer. It is the same through out the evening.
Consequently I have given up trying to watch them at all in the evening. My Peak time begins at 4.00pm, wonder if that is something to do with it?
Tsonga
Grafter

I understand that there are traffic restrictions in the evening for people who are not on Plusnet Pro, but if people cannot watch You Tube in the evenings, perhaps the restrictions are a bit excessive?
Several other people seem to have issues (see replies 15 & 16 on this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,77618.0.html)
Do we have to be on Pro to be able to use You Tube after 4pm?  Huh
Be3G
Grafter

It certainly shouldn't be that way; YouTube is streaming and should therefore be prioritised at all times of the day on all account types.
scootie
Grafter

yeah its strange one this there defo 0x80 so are getting line speed.
i dont go near you tube that often but wen i tried earlyer i didnt getin any pauseing of the vid as the buffering just kept in front in most cases very gd indeed but still the buffring would pause an start again very often. i never got smooth load on the buffering bar.
apart from that no issues with the actual playback of the vid
Azagoth
Grafter

YouTube is totally unusable at the moment.  It's taking that long to stream even a short film that it just sits there with that 'buffering' circle flashing. 
Tsonga
Grafter

Wonder if anyone from Plusnet will actually respond, as the problem was first brought up 5 days ago and we have heard nothing yet. Perhaps they are too busy with more pressing issues right now...  Undecided
And it's the weekend now!  Cool
Azagoth
Grafter

Still no answer to this and it's worse than ever today.
scootie
Grafter

even on 21cn it pausing like mad today.
looking at the throughput all vids are averaging 600-800kbps and the problems start the moment it drops below 600kbps for a spilt second
God
Grafter

Any video I have tried to stream today has stuttered and been unwatchable regardless of what web site it is from. I hope this isn’t going to become the norm!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi all,
I'll refer this to traffic guru Tommo, I'll post back with more info as soon as we have it. Sorry about the hassles.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: BlueRhizome
Wonder if anyone from Plusnet will actually respond, as the problem was first brought up 5 days ago and we have heard nothing yet. Perhaps they are too busy with more pressing issues right now...  Undecided

Only just seen this thread, are people still having problems? If and when you are experiencing problems it would be useful if you could pay mention to the product type you're on and make a note of the time you were having difficulty streaming. YouTube traffic is rate limited in the evening on some products but not to the extent where this should be affecting the playback of a single video. If watching videos is becoming problematic then we have an issue that we need to get to the bottom of.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

scootie
Grafter

its only you tube ive had problems with  on unlimited. my bandwidth monitior says its averaging at 700kbps and dosent go higher than 800kbps
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
YouTube traffic is rate limited in the evening on some products but not to the extent where this should be affecting the playback of a single video.

Err, Plusnet rate-limit YouTube? Could you kindly point me to anything that officially states that? Because I think that's a rather important piece of information for Plusnet to have not mentioned anywhere. If there is no mention of this on the Plusnet website, which I suspect is the case (because I've certainly not seen it) could you please tell us what the rate limits are, when they are in force, and which products they apply to?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

There's nothing specific on the website AFAIK although I have paid mention to it somewhere before when we were questioned about iPlayer traffic following the publication of this BBC article.
I'm not sure about which products it applies to of the top of my head but I think the limits are normally in place for a few hours each evening when we're at our absolute busiest. It shouldn't matter to be honest as the buffering should always be ahead of the streaming. What concerns me at the moment is that it looks like this might not be the case...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵