cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems setting up a Netgear WiFi Range Extender with plusnet router

fisherdyos

Problems setting up a Netgear WiFi Range Extender with plusnet router

We have a plusnet wireless 563C8B router. To extend the range of this we have bought a Netgear Universal Wifi range extender WN30000RP. The connection appeared to go okay extending the existing network in that there is a good link rate, but it is not accepting the security password for the existing network (which it is supposed to do).
Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I have little technical knowledge unfortunately
7 REPLIES 7
pullenuk
Grafter

Re: Problems setting up a Netgear WiFi Range Extender with plusnet router

You are honestly better off using powerline (or homeplugs known as) to put an access point (not a wireless extender).
Homeplugs are very simple, you plug one into the power socket by the router, you run a network cable from that to the router.
The homeplug uses the electric wires to form a network connection to the second one which....
The second homeplug is in the next location going into the wireless access point. This wireless access point have the same wireless settings as the router.
Bingo..... done. Any wireless devices will automatically connect to whatever is the strongest signal.
candp

I've got the same problem. I hear what you're saying about powerline, but I already bought the netgear extender  :(. What password is it looking for? I typed in the password I always use,the one on the
router, no joy. Do you think it's not accepting it because I have Plusnet fibre connection and not just plain broadband? Ideas please...me and my PC are strangers. I  know very little about computers.
HELP!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It's exactly the same password you use to connect any wireless device to your router.  It's probably written on the router or on a label you were supposed to stick to the router.  it's case sensitive so if it uses upper-case letters then you must to the same.
arifk

Were you able to solve this problem?  I'm having exactly the same issue!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
@ReedRichards Has hit the nail on the head about this issue.
If you're unable to connect to the wireless network using the password on the router (or on a sticker or card as often provided with such devices) then do bear in mind the password (or passkey as it's often called in relation to wireless networks) can be changed from it's default. You do this by logging into the router settings, this involves a separate login specific to the router.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mlomanto

Hello,
I am having the same issue.  When I try to connect to the extender it asks me for the key, I enter the key and it doesn't recognise it.  Has someone been able to solve the issue?
Thanks
sgotty

Hi folks,
Well - having had the same problem I think I've solved it. It appears that the NetGear extender doesn't like the default password that the plus net router uses (I hadn't bothered to change mine since getting plus net last year). So, don't use the automatic WPS setup as this will try to keep the same password. Instead use the Netgear setup genie (if you've already used WPS you'll need to reset the extender using the old paper clip in the tiny hole trick!).
Simply follow the setup steps and then when it gets to the point where it says "Use the same password" (or words to that effect), unstick the box and create a separate password.
And it appears to have worked! Whooppeee!
Good luck - let me know if it works for others.
S