cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems downloading files

dbeevers

Problems downloading files

Hi

So the problem is, i'm trying to work from home but need to download from drop box some avg 2gb files.

At work I'm on copper Talktalk business using their router with an average download speed of 6mps and the files download in around an hour.

My PN copper connection at home gives me around 12mps but downloading the same files comes up with an average time of 6 hours, sometimes its 3 hours so I leave it to download but after an hour or so I get a message of "failed to download"

Using my mobile as a connection does it in about 45mins.

Thought it was at my home but having been to my GF house who's on PN and uses their router the errors are the same.

Doing a speed check and its all clear and general internet is fine.

Spoke to PN today and they couldn't work it out so put me on PN pro plus but thats not any better.

Anyone have any ideas?

Just renegotiated my contract but might jump ship.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Problems downloading files

Make sure you aren't getting your bits and bytes mixed up.

Your connection of 12mps will be 12 Mbps which equates to 1.5MBps.

If your work connection is actually downloading at 6MBps the difference in time becomes apparent.

dbeevers

Sorry, frustration and work muddled my brain, so, speeds according to ookla:

Home speed with PN Copper and TP link router - 10.8Mbps - 2.1GB files shows as 6+ to download, sometimes 3 but then terminates after about an hour.

Office speed with Talktalk and TT router on copper - 5.2Mbps - 2.1GB files take around an hour to download.

Other house 8 miles from me on different exchange on PN with PN router - 6.2Mbps 2.1GB files shows as 6+ to download, sometimes 3 but then terminates after about an hour.

3 Mobile on 4G - 18Mbps - 2.1GB file takes 40mins approx.

PN Pro makes no difference.

Apart from this internet etc is good

Having spent 43.44min on hold from 18.23, I might just cut my losses and go back to TT or Voda fibre as I need to work from home sometimes.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I can't think of any reason this would happen, I downloaded a 1GB file from dropbox myself last night and it came down at full line speed.

Do you notice if this happens with any other filelocker sites?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
dbeevers

I only use drop box.

Fact is it works on TT and my 3 mobile and I've just downloaded the file from my hotel in Sweden.

I'd say it deffo to do with PN

dbeevers

So, I'm now back and it still doesn't work!

Spent ages on the chat support and still no answers, looks like I'm cutting my losses and changing ISP as I know most of the others work.