Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with my Fibre line?

ScottJames
Grafter

Problem with my Fibre line?

Hi
I had Fibre installed on the 7th of Jan, and everything seems to have been fine, but today the connection seems really slow. So I restarted the router, and the first few times it said that it couldn't connect to the internet, but has now just connected back again (78.12 Mbps / 19.53Mbps), but my download speed seems to be about half of what it normally is. How do I go about seeing if there is a fault with the line?
Also when the Openreach engineer comes out to do a Fibre install are they meant to have any equipment to actually check that the line is ok? Because the engineer just connected the line and tested out that the connection worked on his phone via WiFi and that was it!
Thanks for any help or suggestions
Edit: Just done a speed test and got a result of 18.15Mbps down and 5.93Mbps up. Something really does appear to be wrong!  Embarrassed
dick:green Duplicate post removed.
3 REPLIES 3
leader
Grafter

Re: Problem with my Fibre line?

Quote from: ScottJames
How do I go about seeing if there is a fault with the line?

Unfortunately you need an unlocked BT opeanreach modem to see the line stats.
If your confident flashing firmware, you could have a go at unlocking a spare*  Openreach HG612  (ECI's require solder).
Once unlocked you can use 24/7 line logging software such as Bald Eagle's modem stats**   which can really help highlight any issues.
Also if you've not already Wink
https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
*( Think ebay for both locked/unlocked spares -Always use a spare as the installed unit is still BT's)
**( http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612stats.htm )
ScottJames
Grafter

Thanks Leonardo.
My line has disconnected twice since I posted. Before today everything has been solid. I am actually using a BT Homehub 5, which again has been working fine.
leader
Grafter

Quote from: ScottJames
Thanks Leonardo.
I am actually using a BT Homehub 5  

There has been a few post on here lately with home hub 5's being mischievous on connections.
Might  be worth having a try with the original openreach box if you've not already?
Smiley