cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem setting up Netgear router with Plusnet Hub1

markaspirenet
Hooked

Problem setting up Netgear router with Plusnet Hub1

I just left BT for Plusnet and I'm looking to replicate my set up by having the ISP hardware as the DSL modem and then use my own Netgear for DHCP etc.

I have switched off the DHCP and wifi on the Plusnet Hub1

Connected a LAN cable from one of the yellow ports on the Hub1 to my Netgears Internet port

Set the Netgear for MY ISP NEEDS ME TO LOG IN, using PPPoE, I entered my username and password (same that was set in the Hub1).

At this point I'd expect it to give an IP to the Netgear, but it remains at 0.0.0.0

This is how I had it configured for BT and it worked fine.

The only work around might be to set DHCP on the Hub1 in a different range 172.x.x.x. I think was an option, and then also have my Netgear as my internal networks DHCP and wifi, but I'm concerned that it is not the most efficient way to do it ,and I may run into problems with port forward etc.

Can anybody advise as to why this is not working as I have it?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Problem setting up Netgear router with Plusnet Hub1

Firstly should this have been posted under Fibre Broadband? If I remember right, broadband uses PPOA and fibre  broadband PPOE. 

Why don't you use the Hub 1 as a modem/router then configure the Netgear router as a wireless access point if you're precious about using it?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

This is how I had it configured for BT and it worked fine.

Sounds like you had a BT Openreach modem before.

If so, then just use that connected to the Netgrea as before. You just need your plusnet username/password setting in the Netgear.

The PlusNet Hub 1 can not just be used as a modem

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markaspirenet
Hooked

That is correct I had a BT Home Hub, but I never used it. I had a BT openreach Echo life modem, which I used to connect to BT and then I connected that to the Netgear with a LAN cable, entering my BT username and password under PPPoE.

This is exactly what I tried on the Plusnet HUB1, using my plusnet username and password in the Netgear, but it's not being assigned an IP number, it just says 0.0.0.0 and therefore there is no internet connection

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

As I said the Hub One can not be used as a modem. Just go back to your original configuration with the BT modem and your Netgear. Put your plusnet username and password into the PPPoE settings on the Netgear

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markaspirenet
Hooked

I am not so sure about the PPoA vs PPoE, my Netgear only has PPoE as an option and that is what I used with BT.

I prefer to get away from the ISP router and have all settings in my own, so that my netgear handles the firewall, the DCHP, the wifi, the port forwarding, DMZ. I have a few settings in there also which work and I don't want to mess with them

What you suggested would be plan B, to disable the wifi on the Hub1, and use DHCP on the hub1 to give an IP to the netgear then connect all my other devices to the netgear still under the netgear DHCP, so I don't have to redo all of my other devices, my smart TV etc will not be aware anything even changed, but I think port forwarding would need some messing, I have Wake on Lan configured as well, so just getting away from the Hub1 is the best way for me as I did with BT.

markaspirenet
Hooked

oh, so you're saying that I remove the Hub1 from the picture completely, put the BT modem back in place, and then just enter the settings for plusnet into my netgear?

I didn't realize that it was possible to simply swap out the modem like that without any configuration requirements within the modem itself. I must be thinking 1980's modem, as-in it needs a phone number to call 😉

markaspirenet
Hooked

Thanks for the help. I have it running. As suggested, I dropped the BT Modem back into place, and connected it up as I had it before, using the Plusnet settings in my PPPoE settings in the Netgear it got the IP number and is working.

That's a shame/pain that the Plusnet Hub1 can not be used purely as a modem and I'm forced back to using an old 5 year old BT modem instead.

I may experiment a little to see if I can set up DHCP in the Hub1 to feed an IP to my netgear, turn off the wifi on the hub1. I think it will cause issues with port forwarding etc as the firewall etc will be functional in the Hub1 unless I go in an switch as much as possible off. My son has Plusnet also and wants to use a different router, but he does not have  BT modem, plus, if/when my BT modem fails I'd like to know I can still get this working if I have to drop back to the hub1.

It seems highly restrictive not to support use of a third party router, I wonder how others do it? Maybe as I suggest above with two DHCP setups?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

oh, so you're saying that I remove the Hub1 from the picture completely, put the BT modem back in place, and then just enter the settings for plusnet into my netgear?

Exactly.

edit: my reply got a bit delayed. but I see you've got it up and running.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

You can use third party equipment. I use an Asus DSL-AC88U modem/router for example.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

My son has Plusnet also and wants to use a different router, but he does not have  BT modem, plus, if/when my BT modem fails I'd like to know I can still get this working if I have to drop back to the hub1.

I use one of these http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5728882 as a modem in front of my Draytek.

markaspirenet
Hooked

oh cool, 30 pounds not too bad!

Just tested the range all over the house, the Db of the Hub1 was worse than my (old but trusty) Netgear WNR3000 (not dual band), and the Hub1 had huge problems getting through walls that had thermalite brick, unlike the netgear. 

Speed is never easy to test but all speed tests also showed to be faster.

Of course I won't know for sure if it's the Hub1 router or modem part as I had to pull the Hub1 out and replace with the BT one.

Job done.

when I get a minute I'll try the two DHCP approach so that I can use the Hub1 with the Netgear (I think that will work) so I can see if I can sort out my sons set up

Thanks to all for your input, much appreciated.