cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem logging into Member Centre

driveconsultant
Grafter

Problem logging into Member Centre

There seems to be a problem logging into Member Centre - invalid usename or password. I have tried for more than one PlusNet account, so it is not just me typing the passwords wrong. Nothing on service status.
Can someone from PN please investigate?
6 REPLIES 6
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Problem logging into Member Centre

It works for me (on an F9 account).
David
driveconsultant
Grafter

I have tried for three different accounts - all PlusNet accounts. Perhaps PN and F9 use different authentication servers?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi driveconsultants,
I suspect this is an issue with cookies or saved sessions on your own PC as I have just been able to log in to the portal successfully as yourself.
driveconsultant
Grafter

Quote from: orbrey
Hi driveconsultants,
I suspect this is an issue with cookies or saved sessions on your own PC as I have just been able to log in to the portal successfully as yourself.

Thanks orbrey. First of all you are right. I restarted my browser and it worked. I don't fully understand how that happens, but never mind.
Secondly, how can you login as me? Wouldn't you need to know my password? Surely my password is stored in an encrypted format on PlusNet's servers? If not, why not?  Other (lesser) ISPs have been slagged to bits in places like The Register for not doing this, please don't tell me you have a plain text copy of my account password somewhere....
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Surely my password is stored in an encrypted format on PlusNet's servers?

Yes, it is. We don't store them in plain text anywhere but our agents need to be able to see these for any number of diagnostic reasons. I suspect that a decrypting script is called when we go to look up your account that retrieves and parses the password hash but can't tell you for sure, I'll be able to pick this up on Monday for you though.
James
Grafter

In addition to what Matt has said, any action that is done on your account is logged, as is every viewing on your account, so there is always an audit trial available.