Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem: Activation Date

Sparx
Dabbler

Problem: Activation Date

Right,
So I'm migrating over to PlusNet from O2 because the pings and speeds are absolutely horrific after moving to them from ADSL24 about 2 weeks ago.. I decide to move to you guys, however, when you register to migrate, the dropdown box that says about the date you want to move, it says "As soon as possible" then the earliest date after that was "20th February 2009" which is this Friday..
So I thought, hey if I select "As soon as possible" that will mean maybe Thursday? Or at least Friday at the latest as it's already stated there that is the earliest they can do it! Great, I'll pick that just in case I can get a day early, if not, Friday (20th) is fine.
So I get a confirmation email - I'm due activation on Monday, the 23rd February.

Please explain this for me? I need to move ASAP, which is why I selected "As soon as possible", not 3 days after the earliest date you stated.. I was really chuffed and wanted to get away from O2 as quick as possible as the connection is useless, there speeds and pings are dire..

Many thanks.
14 REPLIES 14
James
Grafter

Re: Problem: Activation Date

Hi Sparx,
I'm sorry that this isn't going to happen as soon as you were hoping that it was going to.
Part of this is down to your order being placed at the weekend, which means that for all intents and purposes, as far as BT are concerned, the order isn't placed until Monday, the first working day after your order is submitted.  From there, it takes a full 5 working days (ie: a week) which means that your order is completed the following Monday.
I'm afraid that by cancelling your order, it would make the MAC Code invalid so I would have no way of resubmitting your order.  It is technically possible to resubmit a order with a shorter lead time, but that would mean that you would need to get a new MAC Code from O2.  If you feel that you would be able to do that, I would be happy to resubmit your order, but otherwise it's best left as it is with an activation date of a week today.
Sparx
Dabbler

I guess I'll have to live with it, thanks anyway..
zubel
Community Veteran

Bear in mind that activations *often* occur early (in my case, on my latest account it occurred three days before it was supposed to, at 11pm on a Sunday evening!)
This seems to be the norm, rather than the exception - certainly activations often occur the day before they are supposed to, and sometimes much earlier.
B.
Sparx
Dabbler

Quote from: Barry
Bear in mind that activations *often* occur early (in my case, on my latest account it occurred three days before it was supposed to, at 11pm on a Sunday evening!)
This seems to be the norm, rather than the exception - certainly activations often occur the day before they are supposed to, and sometimes much earlier.
B.

I can only hope. Wink
scootie
Grafter

did you try to badger o2 cs into switching fast path on. i belive o2 dont offer fast path as this was a deal struck with be there when they brought them that be there would contuie as a more specalict isp offering shuch services as fast path.
that said even with fast path on with o2 you would still most likely get high peak time pings due to too many customers and not enough bandwidth at most exchanges. o2 are even draging be there through the mud on the ping front by giveing 02 customers cheap broadband and piling  them high
Sparx
Dabbler

There whole network in general is congested, they won't admit it though. It seriously is, the whole of there Home Access network is jam-packed and they just won't upgrade there network and add more bandwidth... I did badger them actually and asked for Fast Path to be switched on (i.e. Interleaving = OFF) but they refused, claiming they don't have access to BT's equipment to do such a thing and I said neither did my old ISP before them (ADSL24, Entanet Reseller) and they just had a damn dropdown menu to turn it off in the account panel and it was done within 24 hours! Wheither that is just a control/switch they have, or wheither it's a nudge to BT I don't know, but it's stupid they say they can't when so many other ISPs can without direct access to BT's equipment..
Either way, 120ms ping on O2 with Interleaving ON, with it OFF I'd get maybe 105ms? Pft.. There pathetic.
I really hope I get activated early.. i.e. Friday would be nice, like it stated it could.. Sad
jim:quote
scootie
Grafter

if the isp uses the BTw network then defo the request for fastpath is passed onto bt. Not sure about LLU thoe but as BE THERE are the same network as o2 it is therefore possable for o2 to use fastpath but like i said a think when o2 brought be there.
be there must of said only if they keep the specailst side of the customer base ie offer fastpath ect.
Sparx
Dabbler

My old ISP wasn't an LLU service, so I'd of thought ADSL24 don't own their own equipment..?
Either way, hoping I get activated soon.. Sad *cough* Friday.. )
Sparx
Dabbler

Hmm, nothing today.. Probably won't be activated then untill Monday.. Sad
James
Grafter

Hi Sparx!
I've just checked out your order and it's showing as being completed.
You should now be able to connect to us?
Sparx
Dabbler

Yep, works great. Smiley
Although for a gaming package I'd of thought you'd of turned off Interleaving by default, oh well! I sent in a request to get it changed and within 5 minutes had been issued a reference number and was told it would be done within 24 hours, sweet.
Can't fault you so far. Cheesy
adie:quote
James
Grafter

That's a fair point.
However, with interleaving being off by default, there's a risk that you're first experience with us will be a dropping connection, which would be far from ideal Wink
Sparx
Dabbler

Maybe make it an option in the order process with "Interleaving: ON / OFF" then a help/question mark explaining the possible problems you may face by having it on and off and what it can do for you? Wink
Not that it's too much hassle to have it on for a day and send a request in to have it turned OFF the next, although I'm sure you have some avid gamers here for the PC and consoles that don't know about Interleaving so can't research it and get better pings. Cheesy
But I'm all sorted now. Smiley
adie:quote
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The more options there are in the sign-up journey the more likely it is that novices will be put off by the complication. Broadband will work fine with it on and that is likely to suit most novices. Getting it turned off for those understanding the implications is easy enough.
I'm all for keeping the sign-up journey as simple as possible.
David