cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Probably need new router, wireless fault, could someone check my connection...

FIXED
VictoriaIceni
Grafter

Probably need new router, wireless fault, could someone check my connection...

Could someone at Plusnet check my broadband connection for any drops, please. I believe I'm having a fault with the wireless on my router, but want to check for other possible issues before phoning to order a new router.

The wireless signal of my Hub Zero(2704n) router has always been a bit weak compared to my previous older plusnet routers. For the first time ever in December I had to resort to a WiFi extender to get a stable connection in my bedroom, but that seemed to solve it.

However, the past few weeks I keep getting drops in my connection. I wondered if it was my extender and reset it. It was still happening. So I have done the following which haven't stopped the dropouts or indicated anything else:

Restarted the router, both from unplugging it and from the router page, a couple of times over the past few weeks(I didn't want to do it too often and trigger issues at the exchange). 

I renewed the ADSL cable from the router to the master socket, as we had new carpets laid and I wondered if the cable had been affected. 

Reset the extender, and also turned off the extender for a time.

Checked db signals on a tablet with a wifi analyzer moving around the house to see if there were any strange interference or blackspots.

Changed the RF channel of the router to a slightly less congested one...but living in a terrace estate that's hard to get away from every house signal. I've had broadband and used wifi to this house for over 10 years with no real problems before, though.

Turned the Wifi on and off on the router via the button to see if that would kick start it.

Performed the Quiet Line test from the main phone and also from an upstairs phone (connected in a 'daisy chain' way to the other phones all plugged into the main master socket). All was very quiet.

I checked the router page after this morning's dropped connection and it doesn't look like the broadband was down as it states it's been 'up' for 10 days, since my last restart despite dropped my connections every day.(I only use wifi)

My suspicion has now changed from thinking it was my extender at fault to the router's wireless being the issue. A couple of times in the past week I have been sat on the sofa 6 feet away from the router when my connection has dropped on my tablet. I made sure I was using the router signal and not the extender and I could not connect to the main router, even though all the lights were still on. The signal light on the extender was out as it obviously was not receiving the router signal at that time.

I checked on my smart phone at the same time and it also could not connect to the router at the same time. 

When I am connected the speed is absolutely fine. But every day I'm experiencing several small dropouts and the occasional longer one. There is no exact time for the drops and they can happen at any time.

So I'm just trying to eliminate anything else before phoning and ordering a new router. Thanks.

My main router stats from just now(with personal info etc removed):

3 - Firmware version: 7.275.2_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 10 days 15:05:38
7 - Data rate: 1279/22882
8 - Maximum data rate: 1380/22820
9 - Noise margin: 11.1/3.3
10 - Line attenuation: 9.9/16.0
13 REPLIES 13
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Probably need new router, wireless fault, could someone check my connection...

Hi Victoria,

Exactly what are the symptoms?  I have seen WiFI connectivity issues with these routers where they can be problematic allowing devices to connect after a time of continuous operation - this can also cause wifi devices to be unable to connect to wired devices.  Restarting the router fixes both issues.

Which channel have you chosen?  You should stick to channels 1, 6 or 11 - being co-resident with other stations is OK, over-lapping is not ideal.

If possible your wifi extender should be on a different channel to that used by the router - again, make sure they do not overlap.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VictoriaIceni
Grafter

Re: Probably need new router, wireless fault, could someone check my connection...

Hi Townman.

The symptoms are as explained above. I'm using the net absolutely fine and then it drops, so the bar symbols on the bottom right of my laptop screen go black with a star symbol. Or my tablet wifi symbol instead of fully white goes completely grey/blank. Same with the phone. Then after a few seconds it connects back automatically, or I go to the network list and connect by clicking on it. Sometimes the connection drop has been longer or I can't reconnect at all and I've had to restart the router and my laptop. When checking the router during a drop, the wireless light is still on, as are all the other lights as they would be during normal use.

I can't change the channel on my extender as far as I can see, so it has to be the same as the router. As I said everything was working with no problem since December. The current problems started around the early part of June. I've tried various channels, 1, 6, 11 and even 13. The latter was actually the best connection and least congested, maybe I should go back to 11. But whatever channel I use it's the same issue.

If plusnet show no issue with my broadband connection it looks pretty simple that the wireless/wifi part of my router has a fault.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Fix

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

From what I can see your connection is absolutely fine and you haven't lost connection to us for over 10 days.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
VictoriaIceni
Grafter

Thanks, Matthew.

I'll phone up and order a new router in the next day or so. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

There's every chance that you are suffering from the symptoms I've seen with the 2704n routers ... do you regain connectivity if you reboot the router?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VictoriaIceni
Grafter

I lose connection randomly, sometimes only once in several hours or two or three times in an hour, or maybe once in one day, there's no pattern to it, neither in time nor what I'm looking at online when it happens. I don't have to reboot each time, and I don't because rebooting my router that many times would probably then affect my overall line speed.profile. Besides which, my laptop/tablet either reconnects by itself, if it was only the usual few seconds, or I reconnect by clicking on my network in the list. The only time I reboot is if I can't connect. I don't need to reboot the router every time. The few seconds it drops might not seem too much to some, and it isn't really, but it's annoying if I'm watching a TV prog or looking at old documents online and get stopped and have to reload when I'm connected again.

I keep an eye on db signal readings and often at the drops the signal is wavering and occasionally moves out of range entirely. Several checks by me show that nothing much is interfering with the signal in between the signal and where I want to use it, and it seems to be the output from the router, which has always been a bit weak since I had it a couple of years ago. And if my router loses its signal then my extender does too...obviously.

This router I've always had to reboot every 3-4 weeks, regardless of other issues, because it goes slow and I can't access the router page around that time.

I'm going to ask for a new router. Because the fault is only something that has been happening in the past month or so after having a very trouble-free set up and not changing anything. 

I'm not very technical minded so anything that might be suggested beyond what I've already done on basic checks is way over my head. It makes more sense for me to try a new router as a simple solution. If I then get the same issues, despite plusnet saying my connection has been fine, then I'll look more into it. The price of postage for a new router is the cheapest and most hassle-free option for me right now.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

The next step is probably to look at a new router.

If you contact our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 (Selecting Option 1 then Option 2) we'll see what we can do for you. At the time of writing this, there is no wait time to get through to them and they are here until 8pm.

Alternatively, I'd also recommend perhaps looking at a third party router if you're after a better WiFi connection.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
VictoriaIceni
Grafter

Thanks. I got through straight away on that number, but I'm now on hold as I've been put through to tech still....so I'll still have a wait. 30 mins, maybe!! At least it's freephone. Roll_eyes Thanks for your response, though.

Until this past month or so my wifi set up was OK with the extender so hopefully a new router will solve things.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Did you manage to get through?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
VictoriaIceni
Grafter

Yes, I did and a new router is on the way. There was a strange mess-up on my account and I was sent an email afterwards that I'd requested a cancellation of my account which I most certainly hadn't requested. It was apparently just a weird email that was sent for some unknown reason, but I had to get back on the phone to check it wasn't being cancelled later this month and I was waiting for 45mins. So I'd spent about 90 mins on the phone in total on Friday night, thankfully it was an 0800 number. 

Plusnet have good customer service, when you can actually get through, but the wait on the phone lines is getting ridiculous. The company needs to employ more call centre staff and not rely on two people in a broom cupboard. Wink

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It looks like the adviser placed a cancellation request in error Sad I've just requested that cancellation be stopped.

Sorry about the wait times. We're still working on bringing down the call queues.

Let us know how it goes with the new router.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
VictoriaIceni
Grafter

Thanks. The guy I spoke to on the phone said that although the email had been sent that my account was not being cancelled and they didn't know why I had been sent the email at all. So that was a relief, and thanks for following up to make sure of that. 

Hopefully a new router will solve things, if not I'll ask for more advice from the really helpful and knowledgeable people on here. Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems.

Fingers crossed the new router fixes things.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet