Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prioritisation / QOS for VoWiFi ?

cancunia
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Prioritisation / QOS for VoWiFi ?

I have a slow ADSL BBand connection due to the distance from the Exchange & also a very poor mobile signal. I'm using VoWiFi which is quite reliable but call quality is very sensitive to other traffic on the BBand link such as email which causes choppiness in the sound of calls.

I read that Plusnet do apply prioritisation to BBand other than fibre connections so am wondering if it's possible to apply priority to my VoWiFi traffic?

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-traffic-prioritisation/

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Prioritisation / QOS for VoWiFi ?

@cancunia Unless you are on a very old legacy package (i.e. one that has a monthly download limit), prioritisation is NOT applied by PN. 

Other members (@Baldrick1 ?) may be able to make suggestions - sorry I can't - not my field.

John
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Hi @cancunia 

I sympathise - my ADSL speed is usually around the 3 mbps mark!

Whilst Plusnet do not offer traffic prioritisation, with an appropriate router you should be able to set it up for your home locally.

See The-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/   I'm not best placed to advise on a suitable modem, but I've no doubt others will soon be along to update.

Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cancunia
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies, my ADSL is 3M max, normally 2.5 or thereabouts.

I can apply QOS on my WiFi network but that does not help AFAIK once the traffic gets onto the ADSL? I've turned on the 5GHz band on my router and will set my phone to use that to stop any local contention.

If PN no longer do prioritisation, maybe they should remove that page I linked in my first post.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@cancunia It still applies, AFAIK, to the few (if any) on a limited/capped download product.

John
cancunia
Rising Star

Well, if they still do it, surely it can be applied elsewhere.

Anyone from Plusnet reading, please can you confirm what's possible?

Thanks

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi
Plusnet do still offer traffic priotisation:
https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-plusnet-pro-addon/
But it costs £5 per month
Technical details at:
https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-traffic-prioritisation/
However, that only prioritises download traffic.
On xDSL the upload speeds are lower than download so upload is more likely to saturate than download.
Upload QoS would have to applied localy before the xDSL upload "bottleneck".
I.E upstream QoS would have to be implemented on the router.
Would another mobile network offer better signals at home?
Three tend to use a subset of EE's base station sites.
O2 and Vodafone tend to share sites.
Sometimes all four operators share a site.
At my house Three's signal is poor, EE is not much better but O2 & Vodafone have much better signals.
Regards
Richard
cancunia
Rising Star

Thanks for the links, it did seem odd that prioritisation was only available for capped services.

There's not a lot of detail on what services can have QOS, but it's a starting point if I was interested to take it up, which I'm not when it's £60 per year for a 10 minute change.

I'm using Three, their signal where I live is unusable but no worse than any others, they gave me a Home Signal femto-cell, the signal is fine but somehow all of my phones loose contact with it after about an hour although the signal strength stays good.

I've just started using VoWiFi, the call quality is very variable, yesterday I set my phone to be the only user on the 5GHz channel which seems to have improved things somewhat. 

Shame about the ADSL QOS, but too much money for me.