cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preventing file sharing using a router

RobDickson
Grafter

Preventing file sharing using a router

Is it possible to prevent file sharing on a network using a router, for example by blocking a particular port?
I know it's possible to disable file sharing on computers on the network, or restrict access to particular users, but I was wondering whether it's possible to do it using a router.
I have bought a small travel router, so have a spare router. My thoughts are to use this travel router when I'm at home. My main xDSL router will allow file sharing as it does at the moment. I will plug the travel router into one of the Ethernet ports on my main router. If it's possible to disable file sharing on the travel router, I will be able to give friends access to my internet connection without them having access any files on the network.
My travel router is the LM007 from LM Technologies. My main router is a Linksys router, but I don't suppose that matters, because it's the LM007 that I want to disable file-sharing on.
I've tried searching the web for a solution, but all I can find is references to problems getting file-sharing to work, not the other way around.
Thanks in advance for any help.