cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerline not working with Technicolor TG582n

mrbooki

Powerline not working with Technicolor TG582n

Hi guys just recently became a plusnet customer. I have been using powerline in the house to extend internet to other parts of the house (wireless is not good here). The powerline is a devolo dLan duo  MT:2070. I have had this powerline system for 1 year and has worked well with sky and virgin media. Soon as I get a plusnet modem it stops working...
Firstly it disrupts usage of the router completely, leaving me to restart the modem/router.
I have replugged the sky adsl modem and it works, so it's leading to me think this is a plusnet hardware problem.
Are there any work arounds?
The powerline has no reset button, it has always been plug and play.
Hope someone can help  Grin
18 REPLIES 18
shure
Grafter

Re: Powerline not working with Technicolor TG582n

I suspect it may be an IP conflict issue.  I have the same issue but I recently changed my router to an Asus, although I didn't have the Technicolor one before that.  Now my SKY on Demand won't work.  I haven't had time to look into it just yet but the only thing I can think of is an IP conflict and the Powerline may be a red herring.  SKY says it's connected to the router but not to the internet
edit: just to rule it out I'm assuming you've tested another device through the Powerline adapter (e.g. a laptop)?
mrbooki

Hi I was using the powerline a few days before getting the Plusnet router with a Sky router so they do work with all the devices in the house, I am trying to find out if i can change their IP addresses somehowever but I am not too much of an IT tech more of a mechanical engineer haha.  Cheesy
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Mrbooki,
Welcome to the forums.  Do you know what the network address was before?  The default for the TG is 192.168.1.X - many home routers are 192.168.0.X
Do you recall how these Powerline devices are configured?  I've looked and cannot find a manual on-line.  There MUST be a reset button somewhere, or they could never be reusable.  They are often pinhole size recessed buttons.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mrbooki

Hi Townman there are NO reset buttons or pin hole buttons. The only mark on the powerline is a mold mark but thats about. I have attached the picture of the powerline. The third picture shows under the sticker

NedLudd
Grafter

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you had these for some time? They are not very highly spec'd:
With a maximum data rate of 14 Mbps and symmetrical upload and download speeds, dLAN is comparable to traditional Ethernet network solutions and the current WIFI TM wireless standard for home applications.

For £18.90 (free delivery)  you could have Ethernet only ones giving 200 Mbps: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4 The 500Mbps version of these are only £25. These require no software as they just extend the standard ethernet connection.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
moemoff
Grafter

I use a TP-LINK AV500 Nano power line adapter. Has worked beautifully for ages.  Twin pack is currently £17 to £18 on Amazon uk with free delivery. Plugin and play with a security button if you need it. I use it for a gaming tower downstairs.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

i can only see the AV200 for £17-£18 on amazon.
the AV500 is -£25
hopkiathome

Been using the ZyXel 4201 pair for almost 12 months with no issues at all - £23.99 +pp from Ebuyer.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Not wishing to hijack this thread, but can anyone explain why some powerline adapters pick up IP addresses?  I have used Solwise HomePlugs for years and they never needed an IP, but I've got a couple of non-solwise ones now that do.  I have no idea what use an IP is to them.  They don't seem to provide a configuration web page and all you can do is ping them.  What's the point?
Back to the original problem, if these powerline adapters have a hard-wired IP address, then it might be worth putting that into the router's DHCP list as an exception, to stop it reusing the IP?  I know a router shouldn't do this, but I've known a couple that have.
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
mrbooki

Hi guys sorry for the late reply back.
NedLudd - Thanks for the manual, hopefully someting in there will help!
jelv - I am not really a power user (pardon the pun) so never had problems with this hardware and as far as I am concerned it works, so not really keen on buying a new system (MAYBE AS A LAST RESORT thanks for the links though). At my other house I have virgin 50mb internet and I had the powerline connected to a router downstairs, with the other powerline connected to another router upstairs. I would reguarly get 45mb+ download speeds.  Undecided Shocked
lorisarvendu - How would I find out the powerlines IP address?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: lorisarvendu
I have no idea what use an IP is to them.  They don't seem to provide a configuration web page and all you can do is ping them.  What's the point?

May be that depends upon exactly what they are / do.  If they are a transparent hub, then your statement would be valid, if however they are acting as an intelligent switch then an IP address is essential.

Quote from: lorisarvendu
Back to the original problem, if these powerline adapters have a hard-wired IP address, then it might be worth putting that into the router's DHCP list as an exception, to stop it reusing the IP?

Reuse is not likely to be the issue, rather the hard wired addresses (if they exist) are in a different subnet.
What the OP needs is the original set up CD.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lorisarvendu
Grafter

@mrbooki
http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/
Advanced IP scanner should show all devices on the lan with IP addresses.  
1. Install it.  
2. Connect the Sky router, then reboot all your PCs (unplug and replug the powerlines).  
3. Run the scanner and make a note of what it finds on the network.
4. Swop the Sky router for the Plusnet one, and again reboot every device.  
5. Run the scanner again and see what the difference is.  
If all your devices are configured to get their addresses from DHCP then you might see the subnet change between routers.  Say first time everything has a "192.168.1..." address, then next time everything has a "192.168.0..." address.
If you want to identify if the powerlines have an IP address, then unplug them and run the scanner again.  If two IP addresses disappear then you know that's them.  
I have a Homeplug wifi extender that is hardwired with IP address 192.168.1.120.  Can't change it at all.  Pretty annoying when I first got it, because my subnet was 192.1.0.x and all my PCs were static.  Had to change the whole subnet and the router's lan address.  
If you find out that your two powerlines have hardwired IP addresses and they're on a differnent subnet, then that could be the reason I guess.

@townman
Hmmm...can't see how a powerline adapter would function as an intelligent switch since they only have one network socket on them. They therefore don't switch or route traffic.  They just pass it through to the other adapter.   Anyway, I have three switches in the house and none of them have IP addresses.
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
mrbooki

Thanks for the reply. I tried that software but it didn't detect the powerline, however i connected the powerline to a laptop and it gave me an IP address starting 169.... and the subnet? was 255.255.0.0 not 255.255.255.0.
Trying to be clever I went on this site to calculate some ip addresses http://www.subnet-calculator.com/
However I cannot change the routers starting IP to be 169...it just says invalid starting ip. Any ideas?
jim:quote