Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerline adapter problem

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Powerline adapter problem

No it's a windows utility to show which adapters are connected, their connection speed and MAC address.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pj2014
Grafter

Thought I'd chip in here...
I had a pair of PA 211...(Full size) Kit adapters across two separate ring circuits on two different fuse boards at mine. Both fuse boards ultimately (normally if its still all one house!) go through the same meter so it deffo works.
I have since added a further pair of the nano variety and all I did was to download the utility others have mentioned, reset the plugs (via the utility) and place them next to one another, double socket side by side and press the pair button. I did all this with a laptop wired up to at least one plug whilst running the utility and kept adding the plugs to the group (homeplugAV or something, its the default setting)
I must add, some of my plugs do not have the network light flashing away (only two out of three lights on a plug flash), but once they were all paired it made no difference. They still all work.
PJ
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Quote from: IngeJones
They need to be on the same something... rail?

'Busbar' is the word you're looking for - the copper bars which connect the various ring circuits in the consumer unit (fusebox).
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Not necessarily:
Quote from: jelv
I've successfully used PA-211 not only on different ring circuits, but ring circuits on different fuse boxes (but on the same meter).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HughA
Grafter

My fusebox is split into 2 sections, each protected by separate RCDs.  I can't use my powerlink adaptor between rings on the separate parts of the fusebox.  I think the problem is that the signal has to pass through 2 RCDs and is attenuated too much.
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

My devolo kit is working across all three of my fusebox splits.  Two with RCD and one with MCB
jameswcole

have checked the fuse box and upstairs/downstairs sockets are on separate circuit boards but come under one RCD. Trying to install the TP link utility but now this won't install, tried on 3 separate machines now, installation bar sits at half way.
anyway, if I ever get that working I'll try it out but not holding much hope as suspect it will only pick up the second adapter when it's upstairs (same as router connected adapter). seems that although some people can get them to connect across circuit boards, and even across RCDs, some simply can't, think i'm in the latter category! luck of the draw i guess...
I'll try this as well: http://www.tp-link.com/lk/article/?id=62
but not holding my breath!
last call for any other suggestions out there???
many thanks
James
jameswcole

minor update, have figures out the installation of the utility, it tries to install two things at once but hides the second installation window behind the first without telling you… weird…
anyway, will try tonight with crossed fingers!
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Dandroid
All houses would normally have more than ring main one for each floor. Powerline adapters do work across rings mains as mine do with no problems.
Does your consumer unit use RCD as these can cause them not to connect.to each other. It has also been suggest extension leads with surge protector cause the same issue.
Dan.
My Devolos are upstairs and downstairs too, and the upstairs is plugged in to a cheapo double adapter at the mains power socket. Works fine! Have RCD as well.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
jameswcole

got this working now - either the TP Link utility made them realise there was a connection to be made, or there's one socket in my front room that isn't compatible and another that is, or i was doing something incredibly stupid previously! anyway, thanks to all for suggestions
rovingeyeuk
Grafter

I've used Solwise for a while now with the piggy 6 hub for the tv, DVD and wii. Probably 12 months ago it stopped networking and I didn't manage to reconnect it so left it just as a very expensive extension.
The other day I noticed the indicator light flashing so connected the tv and it was working, next I tried the laptop connected to it and the speed was 10.75mbs. Considering I have been struggling with speed problems since I joined Plusnet and was getting 9.0  but now it's dropping slowly downwards again.
Looking more closely at the network settings I saw connections I didn't recognise and then realised it was connected to Talk Talk I can only assume next door are with them and it's only recently that I've noticed Talk Talk wifi showing on my android wifi analyser app.  So it does seem the signal will pass through the meter and consumer unit and much as I wanted to keep the 10.75 down speed I reconnected all my home plugs with another secure network name. So I did have two networks one on a great Talk Talk connection and the other pathetic frustratingly inconsistent Plusnet.
So now I am back to speeds that are up and down but now nowhere near the 9 I had at first, swapping routers, telephone and network cables and checking for disconnections.  When the next disconnect occurs I shall be calling in for assistance.