Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerline Adapters advice sought

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Powerline Adapters advice sought

Pinging my router is 3ms and that's only 11g wireless.
Edit: or 1.4ms after I disabled wireless power saving on my computer
You need to use encryption with powerline adapters: http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/03/15/powerline-adapters-make-sure-you-use-encryption/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Razer
I will definitely have one of them plugged into my surge protector

You don't want to be plugging powerline adaptors into a surge protector !
Why can't you plug the surge protector into the 'pass through' filtered power socket of a powerline adaptor plugged directly into the wall ?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Razer
Could you specifically recommend a cable from someone? I can look at plenty on amazon or ebay, or whatever, but really don't know whether they are quality or not.

Assuming the picture and description are correct then this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metre-Speed-BroadBand-Cable-Twisted/dp/B008IKVA1W should be fine.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
moemoff
Grafter

I used to use a Netgear POWERLINE AV 500 ADAPTER XAV5001. It connected my Draytek  2830n plus  from upstairs office (where the main BT socket resides) to my downstairs living room where I have a PC gaming machine. It lasted about 12 months and failed with pings all over the place and the inability to run any speed test.  This was on a line supporting ADSL2+ with 14.5mb download 1.1mb upload.
I have just in the last week changed to Fibre 80/20 and use the Draytek to piggyback onto the BT fibre Router via ethernet cable and WAN2.
I get 72 to 73 mb download and upload of 17mb without plugs interveaning.
I tried an old Netgear  200mb plugset whilst awaiting the arrival of TP-Link Nano TL-PA411KIT. It only gave 35mb speed but held the gaming ping.  The TP-Link 500 Nano (very small - only slightly bigger than an normal appliance plug) gives between 68mb and 70mb downland 16.5 mb upload plus it  holds the ping.  My house is a 1920s type with 1970s type wiring.
Just hope it helps folks.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: ejs
You need to use encryption with powerline adapters: http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/03/15/powerline-adapters-make-sure-you-use-encryption/

I know. Smiley
Quote from: purleigh
You don't want to be plugging powerline adaptors into a surge protector !

But I've been reading people saying they're fine on them. Unless I've just been taking 'extension' to include surge protectors. If I can't use them on a surge protector then I won't use them.
Why can't you plug the surge protector into the 'pass through' filtered power socket of a powerline adaptor plugged directly into the wall ?

Because that would defeat the point of having the surge protector. I won't have anything plugged into any of my equipment (especially my computer) that is also connected to the mains if it is not on a surge protector.
@w23, thanks for the link. I'm thinking to myself now, then, that because it's this cat5 twisted pair stuff, just the same as what's in an ethernet cable (as I think), then it's going to be equally prone to breaking with multiple bends, right? Huh Mind, not that it's going to matter that much. If I need to replace it because I need to reroute at some future time, it's not as if it's costing a lot.
@moemoff. If I do come to using powerline adapters, I'm hoping that my home being only ten years old will mean better quality wiring than 1970s stuff. I hope. lol
Tabbycat
Dabbler

I recently upgraded from Devolo HSII 85Mps to TP-Link PA511 AV500 Gigabit homeplugs and what a difference it makes.
To be fair these are two extremes of the powerline technology, but nevertheless the throughput increase is evident. I attach an example of the speeds possible between adapters.
There's plenty of choice and I'd only pay extra for Gigabit if you have a requirement for >100Mb/s end-to-end throughput between adapters OR you are paranoid about future-proofing for the next generation broadband speeds!
If I'm being entirely honest I chose TP-Link based on experience of their DSL products and value-for-money.

Routefinder
Grafter

I found this thread by searching for Power Line users feedback.
Having done only a limited amount of 'searching' I am with Razer on the matter of if I cannot surge protect my gear then Power Line plugs are likely not for me.  It seems so counter intuitive that folk use a mains wiring solution for Ethernet connections where the primary hardware (PC, NAS, Router etc) are at higher risk if there is surge event.
For the record I have all my gear on mains surge protectors and as I am currently on ADSL the connection between the master socket and the router is also on the surge protector.  Now granted the event that happened some years ago in this area was a rarity but my gear survived. What happened was a lightening strike that hit I think it 3 households satellite dishes the resulting surge struck through the localised phone lines and affected approx. a dozen houses ~ I our case it blew the master socket but stopped at the initial surge protector that the answerphone phone was plugged into that also had the microfilter protected.  Hmmmm! typing this that first stage protection is not in place any longer as we now use an I-Plate but as mentioned the data connection is protected at the next step in the chain.
Suffice to say though rare I really would like my gear protected from such surge events as best I can Smiley  However with FTTC coming in due course Powerline was what caught my attention for linking the Modem to the Router........but now I am not so sure???
Related to this does anyone know of Ethernet surge protection devices???
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

So why not use the powerline devices plugged in to surge protectors? I do.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi Jelv
Well, so far as using a Powerline plugged into a surge protector everything I have read so far says they should not be used that way because  the way the SP works filters out the high frequency signals that Powerline relies on to perform the wonder of Ethernet over mains circuits.
As such because 'all' the makers say do not do it there is nothing mentioned re surge protection of the Ethernet part of the Powerline Adaptor.
What make of adaptor are you using???  Also are they used on the same ringmain as in the case of our house the downstairs & upstairs are two separate rings, which I think is fairly quiet common?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try searching for "ethernet surge" on eBay.
There appears to be suitable inline ethernet filters, starting from around £3.82
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm using TP-Link 200Mbps. We have two ring mains and they are working across them. In a previous house we even had them plugged in to ring mains on different fuse boxes (but fed from the same meter).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I'm currently using the devolo powerline adapters and work seamlessly.  I don't have any powersurgers whatever they are called but I get a constant 10 meg download connection with the devolos.  My line connection hovers around 10.30meg so not bad but considering my home wiring is brand new as it was installed in early 2013.
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up