cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power cut and RT-N66U router

darklight
Grafter

Power cut and RT-N66U router

Well wake up this morning, and found we had a power cut in the early hours, around 1:30am till 3:30am, but the odd thing was when i switch pc on and found i had no net, so tried to login to my asus rt-n66u router
and it looked like the router had done a factory reset how could this happen.
It lost all its user and pass port forwards settings everything  Cry , yes i was not happy at all, i switched to my plusnet router to see i still had internet which i did, i switch back to the asus router and i had to go through the easy
setup menu when i logged into the asus router, got everything back to normal now.
But surely it should not have lost all its settings could there be a problem with the router?
Seems to be working fine now.
5 REPLIES 5
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Power cut and RT-N66U router

That does seem strange. I have the 56U & even after an 8 hour power cut last Friday everything returned to normal within 2 minutes of the power being restored.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Quote from: darklight
But surely it should not have lost all its settings could there be a problem with the router?

I do not know anything about this router, however with some routers I've had, you have to "save" (as opposed to backup) the current configuration to the "internal" memory to retain setting between power downs.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

picbits
Rising Star

There may have been a surge when the power cut out (or when it came back) over either the power or phone line which *could* have messed it all up.
darklight
Grafter

@Townman
Had this router over a year now, and its had its power downs in the passed without losing settings.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I'd agree with DomS, probably some kind of surge knocked it out.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'