Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postini Email Security Trial

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Postini Email Security Trial

Quote from: jelv
What are Postini supposed to be doing with emails containing viruses?

Would that be taken care of by PN's in-house solution Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I understand Bob's not about at the moment so I'll just flag this up in case anyone else on the trial runs in to the issue.
It is possible that Postini are not forwarding emails that they identify as containing viruses. In the past when I've checked that my Plusnet virus protection is working I've used the Eicar test virus - these have correctly been identified and I have received notification of the quarantined email. I've tried this again after being switched to Postini and I am not getting the notification (but I am getting a confirmation email from the site that sends the test file to say it's been sent).
You can send yourself a test email from http://www.aleph-tec.com/eicar/ - the file it sends is totally harmless.
I've tried sending myself an email from the office with an attached encrypted zip of an exe and that got through OK
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Strat
Community Veteran

Hmmm......I see what you mean velj.
I have the 'notification of email sent' from aleph-tec.com but nothing else.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
costich
Grafter

Since noon today:
1. I have received 3 genuine emails, all via the route Sender > Postini > mx.last route shown here:
Received: from exprod5mx208.postini.com ([64.18.0.67] helo=psmtp.com)
  by fhw-sunmxcore05.plus.net with smtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1IzZDB-0005QI-Ry
  for ......

2. I have had no spams delivered to my spam folder,
3. A test virus from Eicar never arrived.
Is this what I should expect?  What is happening to spams and virus notifications?  Can I access any information about these at Postini?
Mand
Grafter

Hi,
Currently any mail which Postini believes has a virus will be blocked.
Their virus scanning is very very good (they give us a 100% accuracy SLA).
Eventually (a few months away) we will be quarantining any mail which Postini detects as having a virus and you will be able to retrieve these via the portal.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm surprised they block the Eicar test virus - it's one of the standard things I do when setting up virus protection on a PC to make sure that it is all working correctly.
James
Grafter

At least that means that the virus blocking is working Smiley
costich
Grafter

I notice that email is getting spam scanned three times: by Postini, by Critical Path, and by DSPAM.  What are PlusNet's plans for streamlining this?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: tomcat
I notice that email is getting spam scanned three times: by Postini, by Critical Path, and by DSPAM.  What are PlusNet's plans for streamlining this?

That's all dependent on the results from the trials. It's no secret though that we want to replace Dspam with something a little more efficient.
Quote from: jelv
I'm surprised they block the Eicar test virus - it's one of the standard things I do when setting up virus protection on a PC to make sure that it is all working correctly.

We blocked this before although admittedly you could unquarantine it (that's what I used to test it for). As Mand has said, we hope to offer Postini quarantining before long and Postini have near enough a 100% SLA on virus blocking. I think our virus blocking is also still in place on the delivery servers.
Quote from: MrToast
Are you going to move the addresses and/or names of your mx's to anticipate the SPAM bypassing an external mail filter?

The MX's will eventually be configured to block any email that hasn't come from Postini
Edit: We could switch on virus notification so that you're sent an alert when an email is blocked but with it not being a user configurable option at the moment, do people think everybody would want this?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Having the notification without the ability to retrieve would at least let us know why a genuine email hadn't arrived and let us make other arrangements to get the file if it was needed. Without that it would just appear to have got lost.
Edit: Corrected a slip of the fingers. Embarrassed
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I'm not sure we're capable of the retrieval option until quarantine is introduced though. So I guess the trade off is between those who would like the piece of mind that valid email isn't being detected as viruses and those that would see these notifications as a nuisance.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I didn't say what I meant to say in my post - I meant without the ability to retrieve.  Sad I've edited it now.
Bob, I guess it's your choice: Do you want the tickets saying "you've lost my email" and then having to plough through logs etc, to find out what happened to it, or do you want a possible ticket saying an email was rejected because of a suspected virus that you can respond to with a stock answer pointing to a blog post suggesting alternative ways of transferring the file?
Personally I'd rather know immediately there was a problem and sort out an alternative method of getting the file than wait a few hours to see if it turns up, asking the sender to try sending again and then start trying to figure out what's gone wrong.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Has anybody else stopped getting notification emails from these forums? I've not had any since about 18:30 and there have been a lot of replies to topics I'm watching.
Could someone try sending me a PM to see if the email about that arrives please.
Strat
Community Veteran

I manage two accounts, one personal and one business.
Personally I have never had the need to retrieve a quarantined email to either account as they are usually junk and if infected emails are blocked wherever that's fine by me as I don't want them.
If someone sends me a letter by snail mail and it gets 'lost in the post' I don't get an NDR from the Post Office but the sender is likely to get in touch sooner or later if it's important enough.
The same applies to lost or blocked emails.
......unless of course if you know different Wink
@jelv
Last forum notification 19:45 about your post above.
Received: from exprod5mx205.postini.com ([64.18.0.64] helo=psmtp.com)
  by fhw-sunmxcore03.plus.net with smtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00)
Edit: PM sent
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Thanks for the PM - I didn't get an email. I've replied to the PM - I'd like to know if you get an email.