cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postini Email Security Trial

hadden
Grafter

Re: Postini Email Security Trial

In the above privacy statement, the nearest relevant condition seems to be under the section titled "EU Mailers" and includes the sentence "The email service provider is the controller of the EU Personal Data, and Postini therefore processes such data strictly in accordance with the email service provider's instructions and pursuant to its contractual arrangements with the email service provider as Postini's customer."
So for "Personal Data" the condition seems vague and the condition doesn't seem to include information in the emails not covered by the term "Personal Data".
MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
The 'edge' blocking will still be in effect [with SPAM filtering set OFF]

What causes 'edge blocking'? technical issues (eg no valid return address, source IP is dynamic etc) or message content too?
I'm really not happy about compulsory message content filtering.... if thats where we are. I'm not sure that it would be in PN's interest either. 
If PN, or any other ISP, take it upon themselves to set content filtering then they effectively authorise what gets through. Do PN want to be responsible for that?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It is the sort of thing you suggest (except I don't think they do dynamic IP blocking unless it is in one of the lists of confirmed spam sources).
Some people don't realise Plusnet have for many, many years rejected some emails when the sender establishes contact with the Plusnet mx servers. It pre-dates by a considerable time the virus and spam checking and is not something that they have only recently started doing. If you want every single email that is addressed to you to be delivered you have to use the SMTP option and run your own mail server.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
peterp
Dabbler

I have today applied to join the Postini trial!
I had hoped to see more feedback on how early trialists were finding the PlusNet trial behaves, but with the existing system becoming progressively worse, I have signed up solely on the basis of the good reports I've read from the many "non-PlusNet" Postini users.  I put my trust in the Italian postal service, Google & PlusNet!  I hope to report soon on significant improvements to the service I have observed in recent weeks.
Migliori saluti
Peter
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: PeterP

I had hoped to see more feedback on how early trialists were finding the PlusNet trial behaves

I applied as soon as the trial was announced and I'm still waiting to be moved over.
I too am seeing increasing volumes of untagged spam which (considering the CriticalPath tagging has not been switched on and from what Bob has said may now never be switched on because the trial period is coming to an end) is getting rather annoying to say the least!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

When is this trial going to start? Presumably we should see changes in our MX records when we've been moved over.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

For those that haven't seen my Service Status post, we're looking to start moving trialists across this afternoon.
It will take up to 48 hours for DNS to fully propagate but once it has your MX records will look a little like this:
;; ANSWER SECTION:
username.plus.com.    86400  IN      MX      10 mx-postini.core.plus.net.
username.plus.com.    86400  IN      MX      20 mx-postini.last.plus.net.

Once I've had confirmation that the migration scripts have completed I'll close everbody's ticket.
Regarding the privacy concerns further up this thread, it's worth noting that Postini won't be physically storing any of our email for the time being.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Maintenance Window:-
Monday 3rd December 2:00pm-6:00pm.
Service Affected:-
Email.
Duration of expected customer impact:-
No customer impact is expected.
Detailed description of work to be performed:-
We will be migrating trialists onto an alternative anti-spam platform provided by Postini. This will add an extra layer of spam protection to customers' accounts as detailed in the following blog post -
http://community.plus.net/comms/2007/11/12/wanted-postini-anti-spam-trialists/

Has the switchover hit problems as I've seen no change in my mx records? (I've been checking ns1.force9.net so it is not simply a case of the changes not having propagated)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Has anybody that signed up for the trial seen a change in their MX records (or in the headers of received mail to show that it had come through Postini)?
Edit: To check try:
nslookup -type=mx username.plus.com ns1.force9.net
andyrogers
Grafter

Hi
i have signed up tobe included on the postini trial, since the service announcement this afternoon, i have seen a reduction of SPAM in my inbox but i do not seem to be getting through some e-mails which are not SPAM which sould have come through.
My MX records are not currently showing as being linked to the postini service at the moment, but has anyone else noticed this aswell?Huh
Thanks
Andy
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If your MX records have not changed you have not been moved over and any reduction in the volume of spams is purely coincidence.
Looks like this is turning out to be just as successful as all the other attempts they've made to reduce spam.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

jelv
What has fastpark.net got to do with all this?
Primary name server = ns1.fastpark.net
Tried a couple of my accounts with
nslookup -type=mx username.plus.com ns1.force9.net
Edit: It's ok I had a decimal point in the wrong place namely still on my keyboard instead of the dos window.
My MX records are still as normal
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero

God knows! Is this a domain that you have registered elsewhere and just hosted by Plusnet?
Can you post (or PM me) the domain name.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

See the edit on my previous post....sorry
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
andyrogers
Grafter

I seem to have some sort of problem, iam not getting any legitamite e-mails through which i should be getting.
They are not even appearing as SPAM in my spam folder.
HELP!!!!
Anyone got any suggestion???
Thanks
Andy