Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postini Email Security Trial

Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Postini Email Security Trial

Is there anything PN can do to stop labelling as spam mails between user1@mydomain.co.uk to user2@mydomain.co.uk? I am tired of forwarding these mails to despamchecker.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: andyrogers
When this trial starts, will the people who are on the trial have immediate access to the per user settings of the service or will this be introduced at a later date?

From Bob's blog post:
The proposed timeline of events is as follows (some of which has already been done):
    * Roll-out to internal mail platforms and implement subject line tagging
    * Roll-out to staff broadband accounts minus subject line tagging
    * Roll-out to trialists minus subject line tagging
    * Introduce subject line tagging to trialists
    * Roll-out to non-trialists complete with subject line tagging
    * Roll-out per-user management to trialists
    * Roll-out per-user management to non-trialists
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Dev
Is there anything PN can do to stop labelling as spam mails between user1@mydomain.co.uk to user2@mydomain.co.uk? I am tired of forwarding these mails to despamchecker.

Try reading the service status posting!
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1195665661.htm
(If you have not set yourself up to receive these by email you can do so here)
Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks Jelv, I just subscribed to the RSS feed, I hope that the spam training also includes the hosted domains and not just the @plus.com.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Will subscribing to the Postini trial reduce the number of genuine emails that are being lost at present (ticket 23446256)?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: andyrogers
With this Postini trial, will any mail that has been blocked will it be held on the Postini service if say you are expecting an e-mail that has been incorrectly marked as spam and blocked?

No, not initially although further down the line (early next year?) we hope to offer Postini's quarantining service.
Or will their be a way of checking a log to see what has been blocked just incase?

Again, not initially but this is where we hoping to head.
When this trial starts, will the people who are on the trial have immediate access to the per user settings of the service or will this be introduced at a later date?

Introduced at a later date. To start with Postini will just be blocking the obvious stuff at the edge of the network. This means that you should receive *less* spam. The second step will be to activate subject line tagging which should hopefully then reduce the instances where spam gets through unmarked.
Quote from: jelv
Will subscribing to the Postini trial reduce the number of genuine emails that are being lost at present (ticket 23446256)?

To begin with the Dspam processes will still be in place (it's Dspam that's is marking your mail incorrectly).
Further down the line though, we may well be able to do away with Dspam in its entirety. You should be aware of the work that got postponed this morning. Once this is rolled out you should see less occurrences of this. The changes will take a week or so to bed in though.
Quote from: jelv

Take a look at my reply here. This should be fixed early next week.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

GooKing

Sorry if i'm being think....    Huh
Will the new postinis also sit between y SMTP server and the outside world?
In other words, doe SMTP users benefit from any spam reduction?
Oh, and is anyone else getting loads of Russian stuff?  I can' read russian, but they seems to be advers for houses, tyres, and all sorts.
atb

Quote from: Bob
Introduced at a later date. To start with Postini will just be blocking the obvious stuff at the edge of the network. This means that you should receive *less* spam. The second step will be to activate subject line tagging which should hopefully then reduce the instances where spam gets through unmarked.

Could you explain "obvious stuff"?  If it is to be blocked at the edge and not available for viewing (or in a log) then what is the chance of "obvious stuff" being ham?
MrToast
Grafter

I've read the Blog post... but am still not clear.
What is the basis on which the Postini solution identifies SPAM?
It seems there is some degree of user control for the final rollout. What can be controled?
For customers who switch off SPAM filtering will ALL email be delivered? (and not have DNS re-directed to Postini) If not what will still be rejected?
godsell4
Rising Star

Postini is the best!
My work uses the full postini service where each user has their own black/white lists and spam/blocked messages are held on the postini server for a few weeks.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: GooKing
Sorry if i'm being think....    Huh
Will the new postinis also sit between my SMTP server and the outside world?

No, those using smtp mail delivery or 3rd party mail exchanger records will not have their email proxied via Postini.
Quote from: atb
Could you explain "obvious stuff"?  If it is to be blocked at the edge and not available for viewing (or in a log) then what is the chance of "obvious stuff" being ham?

Judging by Postini's reporting and the findings from our internal trial the chance is nil Wink
Email currently passes through a process called Clam that does this sort of thing at the moment.
I believe that customers will be able to request reports when we're able to roll-out the additional functionality early next year.
Quote from: MrToast
For customers who switch off SPAM filtering will ALL email be delivered? (and not have DNS re-directed to Postini) If not what will still be rejected?

The 'edge' blocking will still be in effect, but the subject line tagging for the stuff that gets delivered will be switched off.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Bob, Looking through the blog and on the help assistant pages where you request participation in the trial it isn't stated that Postini isn't an option now and will never apply to those who have SMTP mail delivery turned on.
hadden
Grafter

Will the planned implementation still allow users to opt for emails not to be scanned for spam?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

From what I've read there is to be no change - the obvious stuff will blocked at the perimeter (even for those who have spam protection turned off). If you have spam protection off all the accepted mail will be delivered without being tagged.
hadden
Grafter

My slight, and likely unfounded, concern is that any of the scanning will be done by a third party owned by Google.
The privacy statement on the Postini website doesn't seem to include anything about  data that they process for their End Users, other than the data obtained through their website.
As I am currently successful at avoiding spam Roll_eyes I wouldn't be interested in using a third party scanning service and would prefer to avoid exposing all of my email through a single "external" body.