Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forward and Dynamic DNS

mrtomburke
Dabbler

Port forward and Dynamic DNS

Hi
I have been told forward port 1080 to 80 and have a dynamic DNS for my Dreambox to be controlled from outside my local network
How do i make a dynamic DNS? do i need to mess with the dreambox as it is Linux based and so I do not have a clue?
My router is the latest Plusnet one the Technicolor TG 582n. should i upgrade this?
Thanks Tom
39 REPLIES 39
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Port forward and Dynamic DNS

Hi there,
You can forward the port in the router in Toolbox -> Game and Application sharing. Forwarding port 1080 to port 80 just means you put port 1080 in the first box and port 80 in the second one - the first is the port the connection is accepted on, the second is what it translates to on your internal network.
As for making a dynamic DNS, use something like http://www.noip.com/free/ - basically this will give you a web address URL which you type in to visit your own connection (it translates the IP you get, which is different each time you connect to broadband, into a URL which is the same every time so it's much easier to connect).
Hope that helps explain.
mrtomburke
Dabbler

Thanks for your help, i have gotten this far
To Setup Dynamic DNS
1. Login to your No-IP account.
2. Check the hostname you added to your account during signup (ie. yourname.no-ip.org) You can also add additional hostnames at this page and make any configuration changes.
3. Download and Install the Dynamic Update Client (DUC). This device is only needed if your router or device does not have No-IP as an integrated Dynamic DNS provider. After installation, configure it to update the host added in step 2.
4. If you are behind a router or firewall, you will have to open and forward the proper ports for the services you wish to run. (i.e. port 80 for a webserver)
Quick Tip: In order for No-IP to know when your IP address changes you will need to actively run our Dynamic Update Client on a device at your network. (If your device or router has No-IP as an integrated Dynamic DNS provider you will not need to use our client, simply configure your router or device with your No-IP information.)

Do i need to download 'Dynamic Update Client (DUC)'
What does the 'quick tip' mean? Do I need a laptop all the time at home?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Yes you'll need to download that client, unless you're happy to log into the no-ip website each time you turn your PC on - otherwise it won't update to your current IP address. That's basically what the quick tip is telling you as well.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Wrong answer if he is using a TG582 router!
Quote from: mrtomburke
If your device or router has No-IP as an integrated Dynamic DNS provider you will not need to use our client, simply configure your router or device with your No-IP information.)

Go to http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dyndns/cfg/?be=0&l0=3&l1=8 Select No-IP from the drop down and enter all your No-IP details.
The router will then automatically update your IP each time it establishes a connection.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Oh brilliant, apologies - didn't realise the 582n had DynDNS capability. Awesome!
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

If remote access is really needed the op may be better getting a static IP address ( one off charge of £5 ).
IMO a better option than messing about with dynamic dns.
mrtomburke
Dabbler

Hi
What are the pro and cons of a static IP?
I use my internet for Sky TV, Laptop emails, iPad iplayers and downloadin music/gamesg, PS3 gaming and iPhone internet browsing
I don't mind paying £5 for a static IP
npr
Pro

Firstly, do you need remote access to the dreambox or anything else on your network?
If the answer is no, then you don't need a static IP or dynamic dns.
mrtomburke
Dabbler

yes, I need (read want) remote access to the dreambox so I can record when away from home
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Either solution will work fine, though getting a static IP is instant you'd need to use that to log in remotely rather than e.g. mrtomburke.no-ip.com - you could get a domain and add records to point that to your home address, but it'd take another 24 hours or so to propagate. If you set up no-IP and put the details in your router then those details will always work for you.
Just thinking it'd be easier and cheaper to go with the no-IP option, but I've no problem with us gaining a fiver if you'd like the static IP Smiley
mrtomburke
Dabbler

tempted with a static IP as no-IP reques you to activate your account every 30 days and so do most others I have found
npr
Pro

Yes, with the static IP all you need do is remember the IP address, type it in the browser and you're there.
One thing I'm not sure about is if a Plusnet static IP address means you're always stuck on the same gateway. I don't think you are but can anyone confirm this?
If this is the case I wouldn't want a static IP, I think we all know the need to be able to do a bit of gateway hopping when thing's slow down Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Static IP does not tie you to a gateway.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
npr
Pro

Thanks, that's good to know.