cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor wifi performance from plusnet 582n

macman2
Grafter

Re: Poor wifi performance from plusnet 582n

Oh so this is a VDSL2 modem as well? This little box keeps on surprising me.
Shame BT like to make the fast areas faster and the slow areas slower. I will be 120 before I see even ADSL2+ on my exchange Tongue
-EDIT-
Re read what you said, If im understanding it now you mean as like binding a LAN port to become a WAN port?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

yep.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

yep, I was replying to the OP about the specific router I sent to them.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
macman2
Grafter

Hello,
Im starting to think another one is broken now, When Chris tested my original one the speeds were slow and the upload was locked to about 0.18 well its started doing it again  Angry
Is it faulty... Again? Or should I wait a bit to see if the problem fixes itself?
Thanks
Kelly
Hero

Sounds more like you have a fault...
TBH, I've only actually seen 1 broken router (ignoring ones where people have spilled water on then/used them as a dog chew).
/ \
|
|
This is wrong!  I failed to notice Macman2 was talking about Wireless Speeds!    Embarrassed
Kelly Dorset
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Kelly
/used them as a dog chew).

Would this be a recommended procedure when they don't seem to work properly  Grin
(sorry couldn't resist that  Wink ).
Zap
Grafter

Quote from: frank39
The USB port worked well, with an HDD attached it provided a limited NAS, a sort of personal cloud and a media server facility.  The password options were a bit basic and it was slow compared with WD My Book Live, but for a free option it was great.  I kept  jpeg copies of my photo catalogue on it - this I could read with my TV and my iPad (remotely by ftp and locally by file browser).  I am sure that some users will be sorry to lose it.

I got one of these without the USB port and I am quite happy with that, I am curious what purpose it might serve other than those mentioned above. 
The transfer speed of USB over an ethernet connection would be dire, if you want a NAS then you are better off getting a dedicated one; I have several 3tb raid units with gigabit ports and I would not even use them on 10/100 ethernet, I attach a switch to the router and have all my gigabit speed kit connected to it.  If they were on USB the transfer speed would be useless.
You can pick these up on NAS units on ebay for a song (I know because I am selling some next week and they do not seem to go for much, so considering put them in local paper)
Your Ipad can use Apple storage or Flickr and I would bet that you never really look at photos on your TV
Printers that connect to routers over USB never seem to work properly or they make the PC have to become a print server thus slowing it down.
So what purpose do these USB ports really have?
The only thing I would want a USB port for is if they would allow be to put a backup ADSL connection in like the Draytek routers do with the USB stick provided by mobile network vendors, but even then with mobile charges I think a second line through a non BT provider gives better fault tolerance.
macman2
Grafter

Hello,
Just tested the non-usb 582n and all speeds are normal. I am having a lot of bad luck with these now.
If I can please can you send me one LAST USB model, If that kills itself then I'm afraid you will have to cancel the contract and have them back because I just don't want this hassle any more.
Also I do want to state that unlike some (As you said in your post Kelly) I look after my routers, If the return bags ever get sent to me you will see that there is no damage to the devices.
Thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'd agree with Kelly's sentiments that we'd be best looking at this as a fault instead.
re returns bags, how many to you require?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
macman2
Grafter

Hello,
Well if you send me out another USB model, I will need 3.
Thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry, to be clear we're not sending another one. We need to investigate this as a fault instead.
I just need to point you here to start the ball rolling with that and gather the information we need: http://faults.plus.net/
Please reply when you have.
2 returns bags are on the way to you.
Adam.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
macman2
Grafter

Hello,
Im sorry but that link seems to be for faults with the broadband line not the router. There is nothing wrong with my line and as I cant test using the test socket its warning me about charges if there is no fault on the line.
Should I proceed?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

To clarify (and don't think we're trying to sideline you here, because we're not Smiley )
What exactly makes you think the fault is with the router?
Also the fault checker is geared towards raising broadband faults but I'd still urge you to complete the fault checker as it will help us gain the info we really need to help you. I'd re-read the bit about charges, it refers to a potential charge if fault is deemed to be with your equipment, internal wiring or if the engineer is unable to attend your premises.

Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
macman2
Grafter

What makes me think its a fault with the router?
The fact that my belkin and the non usb router you sent me work fine.
-EDIT-
Just finished that fault reporters questions.
Kelly
Hero

Doh!  Both Adam and I forgot what was at the start of the thread.  Yeah, if it's a wireless problem, and you aren't seeing slowdowns via ethernet (actually, go check that!) then it's not a fault.
I don't think there is any point sending you another router though.  It is likely to be some sort of interference, or an incompatibility with your wireless card.  What devices are you using?  Have you changed the wireless channel on the router to see if that helps?
Kelly Dorset