cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor speed on my ADSL Broadband line. Please reset it.

woodbatch033

Poor speed on my ADSL Broadband line. Please reset it.

I have had this problem with the PlusNet ADSL broadband line since July 2015.  I have tried 3 or 4 routers tested over each for a week or more to get the Line speed up.  Had two BT engineers in and they appear to ring somebody and magically the line speed goes up to 5 M/bs.  Max line speed is ADSL 1 ( 8Mb max)
I have now got a BT Hub 5 which I have specially bought for the future upgrade of Fibre broadband which I'm hoping to get soon in our Shropshire (Bishops Castle exchange).
I still getting line speed of 0.42 to 0.72.  Can't seem to get it up any higher.
I have replaced the Filters and have had BT install the latest mark 3 BT box.
Please can PlusNet reset my line so I can see if that helps. 
I'm having to use my EE mobile broadband to write this and to use the internet.  woodbatch033
5 REPLIES 5
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Poor speed on my ADSL Broadband line. Please reset it.

Apparently the Bishops Castle exchange was recently upgraded for 21CN WBC ADSL2+, although this won't make much difference if your line can only get 5Mb.
Otherwise refer to this thread for the details you'll need to post if you want help from other forum users here. If there is some problem with your internal wiring or the phone line between your house and your cabinet, then the problem will still affect your future FTTC service.
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Hi Woodbatch Smiley
It seems a report regarding your line from our suppliers caused the speed profile on our side to be lower than it should be, I've upped this now, can you restart your router and let us know if that's made any improvement.
Thanks
woodbatch033

I have restarted the router and it hasn't made any difference.  I'll let the router get stabilised over the 10 days that it takes.  By then I'll probably moved onto Fibre broadband depending when in Bishops Castle get the Fibre broadband line working.  Just don't know the time scale.  They have put the Green cabinets in and were digging the road up for the extra power cable for them to work.
Line speed tells me about 7500 download 448 upload but it does appear to get changed most days like if there is interference on the phone line.  No noise on the phone line as I have tried the 17070 phone checks.
If I move onto Fibre broadband, I'm hoping the problem will go away.  I have tried everything that has been advised on this forums and other internet information.  Personally I think it is something to do with the Exchange box wiring as two BT engineers have confirmed everything looks ok in the house phone wiring.  I also tried the Thomson PlusNet supplied ADSL router last week but that appear to made it worse.  On the router download (Sunday) appears to be 0.14 (getting worse)
Thanks for your help so far Darkfire and ejs.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Are you rebooting your router quite often? We're seeing a few drops (unfortunately I can't provide a graph of them at the moment).

One of my colleagues has placed an order to move you on to ADSL2+ which should help with the speed profiles, that's due to complete on the 6th.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
woodbatch033

Tonight (Monday) I have very good speed of 5-6 Mbs download.  No I haven't been rebooting the router apart from when I put in the BT Hub 5 on Saturday morning.  I did reboot the router when I got home Monday night because it was showing that was no internet available.  Since then the speed has improved considerably and hopefully more reliable connection from now on.  Thanks for putting an order for ADSL 2+ upgrade. 
Thanks for your help Chris PN.  Smiley