cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor single thread speeds in the evening + A bit of packet loss on TBB graph

OllyM
Grafter

Re: Poor single thread speeds in the evening + A bit of packet loss on TBB graph

No, I've just run it and it's given me a pretty much perfect result...
dick:quote
chrcoluk
Grafter

Re: Poor single thread speeds in the evening + A bit of packet loss on TBB graph

Quote from: OllyM
Evening time and the poor single thread speeds are back again!

If any Plusnet staff are reading, would you be able to credit back the Pro charge if I turn it on temporarily to see if this goes away?

I forgot to mention I am on pro (as I did that test).
Although I think pro isnt enabled on my test account, not sure, a staff member can let us know.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Chatting to Dave, we think this is peaktime exchange contention.  Your single speed tests are seeing the packet loss and backing off.  With multiple threads running, the effect is covered up.
http://revk.www.me.uk/2014/02/what-is-packet-loss.html
Dave will check your exchange to see if we've got any reported issues.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
OllyM
Grafter

Okay, thanks - if it is exchange congestion will it be fixed or am I going to have to put up with it?
Also why does the BT Speedtester give a perfect result? Is it multithreaded?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Dave's checking, but thinks the download test is multithreaded.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
OllyM
Grafter

This is getting worse and worse as the days go on - tonight even web browsing is poor.

The packet loss on my TBB graph is more noticeable now - I wonder if BT have acknowledged there is a problem and if so do they intend to fix it?
Zico
Grafter

Morning all.
It appears that I have also experienced slow downs at peak time in the last day or two.
My Fibre connection is set to a BT Profile of 77.44mb down and 20mb up (PlusNet profile is set to the same).
Around 9pm I noticed that pictures/photos were taking a long time to load (30+ sec's rather than the usual instant).
I've been on gateway pcl-ag06 for a while now and it appears that around 8pm things start to slow to a crawl before gradually going back to normal (TBB monitor screen shot attached).
TBB speedtest and BT Wholesale tester both gave me a lowest reading of ~4mb down and ~9mb up gradually getting better in steps (~6mb d / ~12mb up then ~20mb d / ~16mb up and so on) until around 11pm when speeds started to resemble my checks at 1:42am
TBB speed tests on single thread were like a roller coaster before 11pm.

I checked the status pages earlier in the day and there were no reports of any broadband issues. The usertools page doesn't currently report any exchange issues either as far as I can see.
OllyM
Grafter

AAISP have picked up on the packet loss - apparently my cabinet is backhauled to the Loughton exchange which would explain my speed issues!
Zico
Grafter

It's 9pm and slow down on gateway pcl-ag06 is here:
Zico
Grafter

Zico
Grafter

babble
Grafter

Zico
Grafter

After our electric's tripped this morning, I am now on a new gateway today: ptw-ag02
Speeds seem to be erratic still at this time of the day:

BT Wholesale test attached under links.
Zico
Grafter

Is this possible exchange congestion or something PlusNet's side?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Easy way to check - swap Gateways by disconnecting/reconnecting via the router interface and see if the problem remains.