cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor range from technicolor

itsfine
Dabbler

Poor range from technicolor

I have just changed to Plusnet fibre and could not understand the slow wifi speeds. Checked with cable and getting 60mb. Checked wifi near router- 55mb. Only 10 metres away down to 10mb!! Changed channel. No significant obstructions (one stud partition).  Getting higher signals from my next door neighbour's BT.  Had better speed myself from standard ADSL+.  Any advice would be appreciated.
Steve
13 REPLIES 13
danger11
Grafter

Re: Poor range from technicolor

There technicolor mode is cheap crap. its a very very basic router. Not good enough for FTTC Hybrid (Not fibre but hybrid)
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Use your old router as an AP that will give you more ports plus your old wifi back if you still have the old router.
Just flash it first, there are plenty of tutorials on wiki etc. That is how i use mine, it works better with my twin aerial router.
The supplied router imo is a setup modem/router, no more no less.
Good luck
p.s i hear TP-Link AP's are good as well
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Unfortunately it is indeed a poor router. I invested in an Asus RT-N56U & never looked back. Their router is the only thing which lets down Plusnet's otherwise excellent service & customer support.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The internal aerial means the positioning can be critical and I doubt it will ever be as good as one with external aerials, and the wireless doesn't seem to be able to cope with the faster fibre speeds, however, there is new firmware being trialled which might improve on that.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

I turned wifi off on mine, i also isolated the 2 game pc's through the forwarder and opendns via a 1GB switch, it seems to work for me anyway.
I've had no problems with the forwarder for 20 days now, i have 15 items listed 14 static and 1 dhcp. So it is possible to use the router and have it stable, but there is a lot of configuration involved.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Steve,
Have you tried more than one channel?
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: itsfine
Only 10 metres away down to 10mb!! Changed channel. No significant obstructions (one stud partition)

I expect he'll forgive you missing that Chris, as you've had a busy day  Wink
Steve, I don't suppose that partition has foil backed board at all?
Which firmware have you got on that one?
itsfine
Dabbler

Yes, tried a couple of channels.  Neighbouring signals are on 6 and 11 so 1 is the only non-overlapping. Had previous router on 1 with little reduction in speed anywhere in the property.  Nothing special about wall construction, typical thin new build!  You only have to move a few feet from the router to see a huge percentage drop in speed.  Don't know what firmware but router delivered this week so I would hope it is the latest.
Going to try my previous router this weekend but I suspect it may be locked to O2.  I see from searching the forum there have been quality issues with PN routers  so will probably have to buy an alternative to resolve the issue.
Steve
Anotherone
Champion

If you login into the Router, it should give you all the details under Technicolor Gateway click on Information.
The other thing to note, is that when you want to disconnect (or power off) the Router, log into it and click Disconnect in the Internet box so that it drops the PPP session first. When you power up and connect, login and click Connect to establish a new session.
If you don't drop the session, you may have to wait for upto 8 minutes for the previous stale session to timeout.
itsfine
Dabbler

Thanks for the heads up on that.
Software Release: 8.C.M.0
Software Variant: DG
Boot Loader Version: 1.0.5
Product Code: 3684778B
Board Name: DANT-T
Anotherone
Champion

That's the current release version of firmware, the same as has been around for a while. As I mentioned before there is some trial firmware around which if you are up to having a play and flashing it with new firmware see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114824.0.html
jimbof
Grafter

I just got a TG-582N configured solely as an access point and I'm intreagued by all the reports of poor range.  There is a lot I don't like about it as a router, and that is why I'm not using it as one, but the wireless range in my case seems to be pretty good.  I have it on a wooden shelf in a cupboard 2 floors away from me (so two ceilings etc) and see real-world transfers of 5.5MB/sec - which is pretty good, and as good as the TPLINK TL1043ND with triple external aerials I was using.
I wonder if it has trouble talking to a particular radio chipset, or whether all the people with poor speeds have it wall mounted, etc...
itsfine
Dabbler

Still having problems with speeds.  Just checked again now:
Router which was showing Actual Speed 74 yesterday now reduced to 52
Direct connection:
download 54796
upload 17631
Wifi next to router:
download 10249
upload 9486
PlusNet Members Centre: