cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor or no signal from Thomson router

keithscott1

Poor or no signal from Thomson router

Hi
I'm a new convert to Plusnet and up to yet, I've been really pleased with the service in all respects however, I'd like to find out it's just myself that's having problems with my router.
I have a Thomson router recently supplied by Plusnet which is located approximately 8 metres away in the lounge from where my desktop is and which's wi-fi enabled.  I get a very poor signal and more often than not, no signal at all.  I've recently had a new wi-fi card installed.  If I use other PC (my laptop) either in the lounge or upstairs the signal's fine.  The only obstructions are a set of stairs and a set of brick walls between the lounge and where the desktop is.  I acknowledge that walls can seriously degrade signals, but in an 8 metre distance I would have expected a half-decent signal on wi-fi.
Can anyone offer any suggestions to assist me?
Cheers  Wink
4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Poor or no signal from Thomson router

If your laptop is fine then the problem would seem to lie with your desktop wifi card.  If it is of the type where the aerial plugs directly into the back of the card then the metal chassis of the tower may be blocking the wireless signal.  You could try getting an extension cable for the aerial.   
wjclarke98
Dabbler

Wi fi is not a one fix all solution.  Because of the construction of my house I have experienced many problems trying to make wi fi work for me.
For about £8 you can buy a USB range extender.  Plug it into the USB port and it will over ride your internally fitted card and should provide you with a better reception. For an £8 outlay its is worth finding out if that solves the problem.  Most of them are just plug and play so you should not have any installation problems and if you do they all come with a CD to effect the installation. Best of luck.
For about £20 you can buy a pair of mains adapter plugs.  Connect one to the modem/router by etehernet cable and the other also by ethernet cable to your laptop. The signals are sent via your mains electrics and the speed is very good. Shop bought adapter plugs are expensive but you can get them on line much cheaper. Can recommend Faculty-X.com
Two solutions on the cheap. Best of luck
keithscott1

Thank you for all your replies.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and this one is interesting, a reading of signal level on my laptop, just rotating it in the same position on my armchair