Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor connection with new router

FIXED
mlc100
Dabbler

Poor connection with new router

I connected a new plusnet router to replace my old plusnet two box router. It's in my sons room and connect ion on the old one has been fine. Now I'm at the point of giving up. He gets a great connection but it's dreadful everywhere else, to the point that even in the next room I can no longer connect most of the time as it says I'm not in range and when I do connect it's slow and laggy. 

We have raised the router up from floor level. I am not techy so anything in layman's terms would help please. 

26 REPLIES 26
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Poor connection with new router

Welcome to the forums @mlc100 

Firstly, have you unsync'd the wifi on your router?
If not, grab the card from the back of the router (if it's in it's default configuration)
Then click this http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9105 (you'll need to enter the admin password from the card or your chosen password it you changed it)
On that page, select no on the sync with 2.4GHz and add either -5GHz or rename it to something of your choice
Click apply

It would also be advisable to use a wifi analyser on a mobile phone or tablet and check the wifi channels in your location. Find one with the least congestion and pick it on the channels selection section, again click apply

Then repeat this for the 2.4GHz - tap the 2.4GHz sub menu tab - also click apply when you've changed it
(note, due to wifi overlap I'd suggest only selecting channels 1, 6 or 11)

Clearly you'd have a new wifi SSID for the 5GHz and thus you'd need to reconnect to it.

Then see how it goes.

Should the problems continue, could you please post up the software version your router is on and the date it was installed.
To find this, click this http://192.168.1.254 and go to the bottom of the page.

If it ends in .263 then you might also be one of the few whom have been having issues since the software was updated.

Also, could you please answer the following questions (copied from Plusnet support):

This will help with our investigations and hopefully allow us to replicate the problem in a lab environment -

1. Exactly how does the problem masquerade itself, what are the symptoms?

2. When did the problem start?

3. What firmware version is customer running and when was it last updated?

4. What devices does the customer have on their network and how are they connected, eg. wired or wireless?

5. How is the customer's network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use?

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment.

7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)?

8. Has the customer tried factory resetting? (if not, please ask them to try this)

9. Would customer be willing to downgrade firmware if we need to in order to help diagnose the issue. Bear in mind this will wipe all of the settings back to factory defaults, and we may need to upgrade/downgrade a second time to further prove that it's the firmware that's the cause of the issue.

(I understand this is asking a lot of you)

Finally, should you still have issues, you could try turning off the 5GHz altogether
http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9105

On the wireless network enable, instead of the default of yes, select no and click apply

(ignore the warning messages, it's normal)

This will turn off the 5GHz and put a red light on the router, ignore this or put tape over it, then see if it works..?

mlc100
Dabbler

My head is already spinning but thank you for the response. OK, the first link you have put up gave me an error message. The link for the software version - i can't seem to see the version. I can see what is running on 2.4 and on 5ghz. The problem started within days of installing the new router.

I will look at the other information

mlc100
Dabbler

It looks like my software ends in 264

DS
Seasoned Champion

Yes, sorry about the reply above, it does look rather mind boggling!!Crazy3

I may have misunderstood you then, being as the first link doesn't work.

You mentioned that you moved from a 2 box setup, so I assumed you used to have a separate Openreach modem and Plusnet router. I took it you moved to a Plusnet Hub One, is this not the case?

DS
Seasoned Champion

@mlc100 wrote:

It looks like my software ends in 264

Ah, so you're using a BT Home Hub 5 ?

mlc100
Dabbler

Yes that is correct. I have moved to the hub one

mlc100
Dabbler

Ok sorry if I'm confusing things. On a wifi analyser it says I have a plusnet hub one

DS
Seasoned Champion

Ok and no, I'm not confused ..... yet!!;)

From any router page, can you post up the full software number?

mlc100
Dabbler

Would it be this?  192.168.1.254

DS
Seasoned Champion

No, that's the address you use to access the router.

So if you click this - http://192.168.1.254 it should open the routers menus. From there all you have to do is scroll to the very bottom of that page. It will tell you what router it is and have Software xxxxxxxxx with a date it was installed

mlc100
Dabbler

Bingo....2505B230-347F-4FFF-8A0D-B240A5F462F4.jpeg

DS
Seasoned Champion

That's the one!!;)

The top detail post I made applies then. As you had an error message when you tried, either try again until it works (as the wifi might be dropping when you try to access it) or use one of the supplied ethernet cables.

We need to try adjusting the wifi first, then see if the issues continue, then it would be time to fill out the answers Smiley

mlc100
Dabbler

Ok. Will try in a couple of hours and report back

DS
Seasoned Champion

Ok, no rush Wink

The page should look like this when you get chance to try:

my settings.PNG

So note the Sync to 2.4Ghz is now set to No, your wifi name has an additional -5ghz and the wifi passkey also has -5ghz, then below that (not on image) is the apply button, you must click apply.

If you get stuck at any point, simply post on here and let me know. Wink