cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor choices of router for new signups

m8rk
Dabbler

Poor choices of router for new signups

I'm looking to help a couple of people I know get wireless broadband.
I was shocked at the current router offerings. The wireless router @ £50 is twice the price i'd pay new for hardware of my choice: Netgear or Linksys. I wouldn't seriously use any other brand. The Voyager range  in my experience are pretty poor.
So second option, get the free router as both people are going to sign up for 12 months. Shock horror, the £6.99 postage fee makes these £2.21 more expensive than the buy it now price on ebay currently @ £4.68.
3rd option it is then... provide my own.
Funny - I feel a bit cheated Cry
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Poor choices of router for new signups

You have to remember though that the routers supplied by PN are fully supported by them so for people who are new to broadband this can take away the uncertainty when purchasing new hardware.
Yes, the prices may not be that competitive but they are only so if you leave within 12 months and I suspect the vast majority that take the hardware don't pay anything other than the postage.
Internet / broadband savvy people will supply and set-up there own hardware but that is not the people the hardware offer is aimed at.
scootie
Grafter

ebay buy it now £4.68 how much 4 p&p.
Teds31
Grafter

Ihave setup two voyager 2091's one for myself and one for a relitive,dead simple done in a few mins.They were free (sign up for 12m) Had no trouble since with either.I'm with Peter if people want better ie.more difficult ,then they can buy their own.