Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Wireless coverage of Plusnet TG 582 Router

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Poor Wireless coverage of Plusnet TG 582 Router

If you only have 2 items to connect downstairs and you are going to run a cable anyway, check out ethernet splitters, they allow you to use one pair of the catv for each of the items, then you split it back to 2 at the hub/items.
You would also need 2 ehternet FF connectors to plug the splitters into and some short cables to run from the splitter to the items/hub.
I did this for a couple of years to feed my STB & freesat boxes, but when the TV got connected as well I added a 5 port hub in their place.
(something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cat-5-Cat5e-RJ45-Network-Voice-Cable-Lead-Economiser-Adapter-Cat-5e-/30086..., make sure you can use BOTH items simultaneously as some just pair the ports up)
brianwright22
Grafter

Plusnet have sent me another Router but it is slightly worse as regards the wireless signal downnstairs feeding the Sky HD box & Smart TV. My upstairs PC is fed via an ethernet cable from the router.
I have tried a setup which utilises TWO Huawei  TG 582n. Routers. My original TG582n connects to my adjacent PC via ethernet. A second ethernet port from this router connects to port1 on the second TG582n.I logged ino the second  TG582n and changed its IP address to 192.168.1.250. Its doesn't matter what its changed too except it must not clash with any other IP addresses on your home network. I also changed and DESELECTED the DHCPon this second router.
I turned the Wireless TX on both routers and set my original one (which feeds the PC) to channel 2 and set the second router (192.168.1.250 to channel 12. These two channels have no transmission channels near to my neighbours routers..
For my trials I just fed the 20 mtr ethernet cable connecting the two routers together down the stairs and into my lounge.The wireless  signal from the upstairs router is useless but the extended 2nd router gives me 100% on my two laptops. The Sky HD box and Smart TV work fine via the wireless but the speed is reduced to about 18mb compared with the ethernet upstairs. With the laptops connected via an ethernet the speed download is 39mb, about the same as upstairs ethernet.
So my next  change is to connect both the Sky HD box & Smart TV via ethernet cables and hope that this setup overcomes the poor perfoming TG582n Routers.
I have just got to find a way to neatly run the 20 mtr cable which is "Wife" acceptable"
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Have you considered Powerline Adaptors?
brianwright22
Grafter

I have considered the Powerline devices but I would still require a modem downstairs. The advantage of the Powerline adaptors is no running of cables.
One snag I have discovered is that the Powerlines running at 500mb actually give you about 50mb if your lucky.also there are stipulations that you need to be aware of  not to connect them via any extention power leads.They should be plugged directly into a 13A wall socket.
The other downside is their cost..I require 2 ethernet outputs downstairs for the Skybox & Smart TV and also a Wireless signal.
Thanks for your suggestion though.
Brian
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I agree with you about the cost. But IIRC there are people that have used them on extension leads and on different ring mains, but they must be on the same phase of course. Whether reliability in such circumstances may depend on the brand, I don't know. I'm sure you may get some feedback from those that have done it with their particular set-ups.  Cat5e would certainly be more reliable and not suffer any speed issues.
markm9
Grafter

brianwright22, i live in a 3 storey house, router/modem on bottom floor, sons bedroom top floor, i bought 2 powerline adaptors, plugged them into extension lead in his bedroom, one for his pc, the other xbox, with noloss of speed at all i.e 50mbps, i currently use 4 adaptors throughout the house with no issues at all Wink
TBag
Grafter

The other downside is their cost..I require 2 ethernet outputs downstairs for the Skybox & Smart TV and also a Wireless signal.

What you need is something like this. Downstairs Powerlink to switch, and you have 4 ports to fulfil your needs.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: brianwright22
also there are stipulations that you need to be aware of  not to connect them via any extention power leads.They should be plugged directly into a 13A wall socket.

The problem is not extension leads, per se, but filtered extension leads filtering out the signals Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
brianwright22
Grafter

Quote from: markm9
brianwright22, i live in a 3 storey house, router/modem on bottom floor, sons bedroom top floor, i bought 2 powerline adaptors, plugged them into extension lead in his bedroom, one for his pc, the other xbox, with noloss of speed at all i.e 50mbps, i currently use 4 adaptors throughout the house with no issues at all Wink

The results certainly look impressive  Mark .
Brian
JohnGalloway
Grafter

we upgraded to PN fibre before christmas, so our old router, TP-Link TD-W8960, was replaced by the PN Technicolour TG582n wireless.
the new router is in the same position as before, so upstairs first floor back room [this is a standard terrace house]
now the wireless signal in the front room is all but useless.
it's not a single device but several:
Kindle
Toshiba laptop
Ipad Mini
Android phone
all find the signal very flaky when not either next to the router in the study or directly beneath it in the kitchen.
PN router is on channel 11 and as no competition.  all our neighbouring routers are on 1 or 6.
tv and sky+ box are fine as I've got some solwise piggys for a wired connection, but not being abel to use wirelss stuff in the same house is lame.
John
York
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Just because other routers aren't using channel 11 doesn't necessarily mean it's the best channel to use. Maybe there's a good reason they're avoiding channel 11. Or maybe there's some non-wifi interference on channel 11 that's blocking your view of any distant routers operating on channel 11.
njay
Grafter

Agreed.
I tried several channels and eventually settled on one that was being used by another neighbours router albeit (a feint 30dB signal) as it gave me a better signal. The channel the PN originallyt selected had no other wireless network detectable on it but still wasn't the best. I can only surmise that other devices (wireless routers not broadcasting SSID's or Dect phones or Microwave ovens, who knows) were present in that channels frequency range?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

-30 dBm is a very strong received wifi signal, unless you meant 30%.
njay
Grafter

I meant -90 and mine was at -30  Grin
JohnGalloway
Grafter

i had a play with Metageek's Inssider wi-fi scanner over the weekend.
best channel does seem to be 11; when I'm in the same room it gets a LInk score in the mid-80's (higher is better) - move to the front of the house, 30ft or so away from the router and that drops to single figures.
unfortunately, I no longer have my old TP-Link router to compare it with, but the wireless signal was much stronger and more reliable than it is now.
John