cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Wireless coverage of Plusnet TG 582 Router

TBag
Grafter

Re: Poor Wireless coverage of Plusnet TG 582 Router

Yep. Free router. Can't pin too much on it. I'm about to come on board. My existing modem/router is also the same one supplied by BE, albeit an ADSL one. It is adequate, so I know what to expect from the Plusnet supplied one. I have two WAPs around the house that serve the purpose very well. I'll second the previous poster's suggestion of Asus RT-N66U, good user reviews for that on Amazon.co.uk/Amazon.com. Also this TP-Link TL-WDR4300.
brianwright22
Grafter

Quote from: Bright
Quote from: brianwright22
At £41 /month I expect the wireless modem to do justice to the superb fibre broadband line performance.

I don't disagree with you (although I'm paying £9.99/month for my 80/20 fibre at the moment, so I think you must be bundling quite a lot of other extraneous services into the £41 figure!).
The £41 covers the line rental and unlimited UK. phone calls Plus of course fibre 40mb broadband
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Brian,
Can you confirm if you've tried all of the wirless channels available?
brianwright22
Grafter

Hi Chris, sorry for my delay I don't seem to get email confirmation when people reply to my posts although I have set this up in prefferences!
Yeas I have tried all channels from 1-13 and channel 11 seems to give marginally more signal but id nowhere near enough to give adequate TV streaming.
Regards Brian
dick:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Some customers have found that either storing or mounting the router vertically improves wireless performance, that also might be something worth trying.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Finguz
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Some customers have found that either storing or mounting the router vertically improves wireless performance, that also might be something worth trying.

Odd then that the manufacturers, in their infinite wisdom, didn't think to include a stand?  Crazy
tstaddon
Rising Star

I *think* (though I won't swear blind to this) the issues with this router may be due to the USB port and the way it's been bodged in the firmware. I have a Zyxel media server and a Samsung smart blu-ray and they're both fine when plugged into a wireless router that doesn't have any cut down DLNA functionality or USB device support built in.
I have four routers at home so have been able to play with this extensively. Got to the point where I'm using a "dumb" dual band router with dd-wrt as the wireless access point, connecting via bridge mode to an old Home Hub with the wireless turned off.
I do have a TG-582N sitting idle on my desk which I'm tempted to use instead of the Home Hub but for me to even consider leaving the wireless enabled on it, I'd rather have a firmware that focused entirely on wireless performance and ignored the USB port completely.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Because the TG582n has internal aerials on the PC board.altering the orientation is certainly worth a try - all positions - just make sure the ventilation is not inhibited.
brianwright22
Grafter

Yea I have the HG582n vertically mounted 1 mtr from the floor upstairs.The wireless signal has to pass through two "dry lining walls" over a horizontal  distance of  14 feet with the wireless Laptops, SKy Box & Smart TV on the floor below. If the Talktalk Wireless router worked ok I cannot see why this HG582n is so poor.
Anyway, I am not buying another Wireless Router but have come up with a " cunning " plan to use ONE ethernet cable to run to the re positioned HG582n downstaires and adjacent to the SKY box & Smart TV and to connect these two via  short ethernet cables from the HG582n Lan ports. The wireless signal for my audio streaming and two laptops will be fine.
All that remained for me to do was to connect my PC which is adjacent to the OpenReach Huawei HG612 to its Lan 2 o/p (Lan 1 RED feeds the wireless modem) but I'm stuffed because it doesn't work..I have asked Plusnet Techees if it should .
Anyone any ideas please.
Adie:quote
Anotherone
Champion

I think you've got your HGs and TGs mixed up there Brian  Wink
I cannot see why this HG582n is so poor.

Quote from: Anotherone
Because the TG582n has internal aerials on the PC board.......

Was the TalkTalk router mounted in the same way in the same place? Did it use the same band?
If there is heat reflecting foil in the mounting wall or on route to the devices, or other metal objects eg. wall ties or cables or even certain types of stone at that location, this can all affect wireless performance. Changes of even cm's distance can even make a big difference at these wireless frequencies.
brianwright22
Grafter

I think you've got your HGs and TGs mixed up there Brian  Wink
I cannot see why this HG582n is so poor.

Because the TG582n has internal aerials on the PC board.......

Was the TalkTalk router mounted in the same way in the same place? Did it use the same band?
If there is heat reflecting foil in the mounting wall or on route to the devices, or other metal objects eg. wall ties or cables or even certain types of stone at that location, this can all affect wireless performance. Changes of even cm's distance can even make a big difference at these wireless frequencies.

Yes the TG 582 (sorry I called it the HG582) above, is in the same position and was a b,g  ,&n version prviously the Talktalk b/g wireless router did not have the range in fact similar to this Plusnet bg&n one. I have now connect a Talktalk HUAWEI WS320 wireless repeater  (a device that I trialled for Talktalk during its technical field trials) as a good will they allowed me to keep it. I did not require it when I received Talktalk's, n router but it worked fine when amplifing the b/g wireless signals. At that time I was not on Fibre  Broadband just the "snail mail and I got fed up with just trying to stream simple audio bandwidths on the b/g broadand.
The problem with the repeater is not with the signal strength which is fine all over the house but when streaming the downloads available to the SKY box and the BBC/ITV iplayers the repeater is so slow because it acts as an extra Hub without inteligence!! The speeds I get from the inrange wireless TG582 is about 28mb/s (the best the fibre measures is about 41mb/s) The speeds via the repeater are never better than about 7-9mb/s
I hope this helps to explain my situation
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Odd then that the manufacturers, in their infinite wisdom, didn't think to include a stand

It was actually our products team who found that out from some recent tests we carried out, I'll check if this is something we might be able to feedback. I know the router does have screw-mounts on the back but I'm guessing some might prefer it to stand upright on a horizontal surface.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
brianwright22
Grafter

Its interesting that the TG582n can be mounted on a vertical surface using  two screw heads to locate in the rear holes of the router.This enables the cable entry to be at the bottom but the "Muppets" that drew up the front face silk screen legend got  The Plusnet  & Technicolor" legend upside down .I expect the same team chose to only use half of the wireless aerial feeds available on the mother PCB!!!
dick:quote
Twinsister

Hi, i will join the queue of plusnet customers with useless routers, i am on my second one with no improvement, i might as well have a desktop computer, as soon as i move my laptop a few yards away i lose the signal, support is at a loss to suggest a solution.
Anotherone
Champion

Make sure you have the latest drivers on your laptop. Might also be worth doing a bit of googling in case there's a particular issue with your model.