cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Wireless coverage of Plusnet TG 582 Router

brianwright22
Grafter

Poor Wireless coverage of Plusnet TG 582 Router

This may have been covered but I'm posting this on the advice of Plusnet Technical advisers becuase they are unable to sort out why two Plusnet TG 582 Routers do not give very good coverage in my four bedroom house.
There appears to be an issue that I have reported which prevents my Panasonic GT50 plasma Smart TV from actually finding the signal from the TG582 .The wireless adaptor in my SKY HD box also gives very poor signal levels from the TG582.Although it works when downloading the BBC iplayer,the speed is so slow that a 1.5gb HD program takes about 7 hours to download.
My two laptops on the same wirelss  network also have only about 30-60% signal strenght readings and the sownloads are very slow. Uploading a 5mb file takes about 3 minutes. My line speed has been checked and it is very good with typical readings using (Speedcheck.net)  are 41 mb download and 7.7mb upload.
I have reported to Plusnet that the TG582 router has a very poor wireless performance .
The configuration setup menue enables the end user to select "Power Reduction" either on/off. Monitoring the signal levels in real time on my laptop this setting alteration has no affect on the signal strength except for a momentary burst to 100% signal strength when the software changes the mode. It looks as though the Router is always in a reduced power setting whatever the selection is.
If I look at the signal strengths of my nearby  neighbour "Two Doors away" his signal is stronger than my Plusnet . Also when he tries to locate my Plusnet signal it virtually non existent.
Compared with my perious Talktalk non firbre broadband the wireless  coverage of the talktalk from the same positions  was fine.

I have requested to Plusnet to check these TG582' s in relation to the stting of the power configuration bu I am told this is not possible.They have suggest purchase a more upmarket Wireless modem that will do justage to the high speed line performance.
Has anyone else had trouble with this quite useless Router.
Regards Brian Wright
44 REPLIES 44
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Poor Wireless coverage of Plusnet TG 582 Router

I think the Power Reduction setting only applies when no clients are connected to the wireless.
Bright
Grafter

Quote from: brianwright22

LOTS of customers have had problems with the wireless performance of this router - just have a browse round this particular forum and it won't take you long to find other similar opinions.
I think the simple answer is: it's a free router. You shouldn't expect too much for your money!
If you want a router with excellent wireless performance (and a good all rounder) take a look at the Asus RT-N66U (or RT-N56U, it's cheaper "little brother"). Again, there are plenty of threads on these and other decent models.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4
brianwright22
Grafter

Quote from: ejs
I think the Power Reduction setting only applies when no clients are connected to the wireless.

Thanks for that info
brianwright22
Grafter

Quote from: Bright

LOTS of customers have had problems with the wireless performance of this router - just have a browse round this particular forum and it won't take you long to find other similar opinions.
I think the simple answer is: it's a free router. You shouldn't expect too much for your money!
Yes I take note that there are many unhappy users. I thought the TalkTalk modem/ router was fine it knocks the spots off this plusenet scaled down version,if you take a look inside of the plusnet router it actually has four aerial outputs but only two are connected to a part of copper print on the Printed circuit board ,its no wonder the wireless signal is so poor.
brianwright22
Grafter

At £41 /month I expect the wireless modem to do justice to the superb fibre broadband line performance.My ethernet feed to the PC is fine but the wireless is unuseable for video streaming and i player use.
Bright
Grafter

At £41 /month I expect the wireless modem to do justice to the superb fibre broadband line performance.

I don't disagree with you (although I'm paying £9.99/month for my 80/20 fibre at the moment, so I think you must be bundling quite a lot of other extraneous services into the £41 figure!).
Hopefully if enough customers complain about the router for long enough, PN might do something about it. But don't hold your breath. I now have excellent wireless coverage in rooms I've never been able to cover with any router before, but it cost me an extra £110 for my RT-N66U  Smiley
Superted
Dabbler

Your neighbor's wifi is free!  Cheesy
Finguz
Grafter

but it cost me an extra £110 for my RT-N66U  Smiley

Mine is apparently " At the distribution hub "!
Roll on tomorrow  Cheesy
Bright
Grafter

Quote from: Superted
Your neighbor's wifi is free!  Cheesy

You could probably pick up Russian spy satellites with that!!  Grin
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

That is a Russian Spy Satellite!
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I had a similar problem. not with just this router but most previous PN routers. I put it down to some kind of interference and experimenting showed that channel 5 was best so I now switch to manual channel selection and use 5 whenever I set up a router and things work well.
Superted
Dabbler

Quote from: Jaggies
That is a Russian Spy Satellite!

Classic  Grin
tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Same here, im in the process of ordering my Asus N66U...