cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Wi-fi signal

Wfm71

Poor Wi-fi signal

Hi,

I joined Plusnet in January and have the phone and broadband package that should give me a minimum of 50mbps download speed. Several weeks ago I got in touch as I wasn’t getting anywhere near to this. The person I spoke to helped me to sort it out and basically set up to Wi-fi networks to choose from labelled 2.4 and 5.0. We use the 2.4 one as advised for signal throughout the house and at first the problem seemed to have rectified. However for quite a while now we have noticed that pages aren’t loading or are very slow to load and when using a speed to test to check, we very rarely get higher than 10mbps. I have run the test at various times of the day, being mindful that every man and his dog is on the internet at the moment and still get very similar results each time. 

I have checked all connections and wiring, they are fine, the router is connected to the main socket and obviously was new in January. 

Please can you help to rectify this as I am not happy with the service being provided and my partner is also a key worker who works from home 3 days a week.

I am not receiving the service I am paying for and it is causing problems when my partner is trying to do remote meetings

Regards

Wendy

4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Poor Wi-fi signal

is it possible to try a speed test on a wired connection?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Wfm71

Hi, unfortunately not, only have tablets and smartphones in the house

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Wfm71,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with the connection. Having taken a look into this today I can see that the line is performing as we'd expect, with a current downstream sync rate of 73.6Mbps and a stable connection for the last 8 days. Based on this and what you've posted so far, it's clear to me that the issue lies between the router and the devices connecting to it, in this case the problem being the Wi-Fi connection. First and foremost, if your partner is working from home I would recommend he connect via Ethernet cable to the router if at all possible. If this is not possible, it would be best to ensure that he works as close to the router as possible when connecting over Wi-Fi, preferably in the same room. In addition to this, I would recommend that other user's usage of the broadband service is limited whilst your partner is carrying out remote meetings. Namely, online gaming, streaming and general downloading of large files could be be taking up the bandwidth and adversely affecting the software/network that your partner is using to carry out virtual meetings, especially so if these meetings are being done visually.

In terms of general Wi-Fi usage I would recommend checking out this article on our community site, as it can be quite helpful in making the most out of wireless connections.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Wfm71

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed response. More often than not there is only one or two of us using the internet at any time, we tend to use it for browsing, social media and a bit of streaming of music and tv. We don’t do major downloading or gaming. I can be sat in the same room as the router, the only one in the house using the internet and still find that pages are very slow to load or that I have to try 2 or 3 times to load a page before it loads properly. If you are showing consistent download speeds of 70+, why whenever I do a speed test does it not show anywhere near this speed at my end. 
I was with BT prior to yourselves in the same level of broadband and never had any issues using the internet or speed of use. The only thing we’ve changed when swapping over is the router, so I can’t understand why we aren’t getting the same level of performance 
Regards
Wendy