cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Speeds/Losing Connection after 21CN Switch

rjcleaver

Poor Speeds/Losing Connection after 21CN Switch

I hope I have the right thread.
I have very mixed feelings about 21CN - upload spedds increased by 3X, downloads effectively no change - currently at pre- 21CN speed of just 5.5Mbps. I'm now regularly losing connection. A modem re-boot usually reestablishes connection but not last night which is why I'm posting now.
I raised a licket to query why there was no increase in DL and my line speed was reluctantly increased a couple of time to "just over" 8meg, which probably explains my DL speed. From this forum, I suspect my Profile is not as it could/should be. A forum contributor referred to Kitz and I carried out their test which suggests 9000kbps should be achieveable giving probable DL speed of over 11000kbps.
Any advice or help from Plusnet or other Forum members would be greatfully received to gain the extra speed, but especially to get a reliable connection again.
13 REPLIES 13
scootie
Grafter

Re: Poor Speeds/Losing Connection after 21CN Switch

@rjcleaver
read my first post in this thread here on how to find your profiles out and post both of them.
also login to your router and get your line stats, sync up and down, atten, snr/noise margin,power.
this site will help you get the stats from your router http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Moderator's Note by David (spraxyt): following splitting of thread into its own topic provided URL in place of crossed-through text linking to the cited post.
rjcleaver

Thanks for your very quick pick-up. I did do most of the things you asked, e.g. Kitz stats but as I lost connection, whilst previewing my post, I was fed up and didn't type the message so fully, the second time....  Here they are.
from my modem:-
DSL Status: Connected
DSL Modulation Mode: MultiMode
DSL Path Mode: Interleaved
Downstream Rate: 6907 kbps
Upstream Rate: 1056 kbps
Downstream Margin: 15 db
Upstream Margin: 6 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 36 db
Upstream Line Attenuation: 9.5 db
Downstream Transmit Power: 0
Upstream Transmit Power: 0
Plusnet Profile (not much help:-
Estimated line speed:
    Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
from BTTester
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 6907 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  1056 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 6000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5283 kbps
Hope these are all the stats you were looking for.
Richard
scootie
Grafter

your profiles look right for your current sync speed.
Downstream Margin: 15 db

thats whats limiting your speed at the moment it's been a comon theme in the first 1-2 weeks of going live with most of us on the trial and in fair few cases now the DLM has droped the margins down in timely manner once out of the traing period.
would you mind starting a new thread in adsl2+ titled somthing like (help getting best from line) or somthing like that and then more people will see and be able to help you check a few things to see if your wiring ect is causing the high noise margin
scootie
Grafter

how are you wired from the router to your bt socket.
Are you plugged in to the master socket or are you pluging your router in to an extension socket.
If you can best describe the wiring setup,phones, filters ect that will start us off on path to getting to the bottom of the line drops and high margin.
It may be along path tho so some patience and methodical approach to trying diffrent setups, changing one thing at a time, is needed when trying to get to the bottom of sync problems.
rjcleaver

The router has a standard cable to a solwise 2 port (one ADSL other phone) wall socket with a built-in filter, tthis is fed from the master socket which has a iPlate fitted. Other than a phone there are no other sockets or telepony attached.
rjcleaver

The Linksys router has a standard cable to a solwise 2 port (one ADSL other phone) wall socket with a built-in filter, tthis is fed from the master socket which has a iPlate fitted. Other than a phone there are no other sockets or telepony attached.
As requested I have started a Thread called "Help Getting the Best from Line" in ADSL2+ (21CN) with the above line.
Moderator's Note by David (spraxyt):  Merged topics so that there is only one. I achieved what Asbo suggested by splitting your thread from its original location.
scootie
Grafter

Looking at your description of the wiring you've gone to great lengths to make sure that extension works tip top
I dont own and never have owned any extension wiring so i am not that clued up on them but i have asked man who does to cast there eye over the thread and they may surrgest you try a spare filter or somthing
To get a gd idea off what your SNR is doing and how many drops you're getting is it possable for you to download and install routerstats from here http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm and monitor whats going on for a day or 2
following settings for routerstats courtesy of Anotherone
On the Common Settings tab I suggest "Use dots for grid", Sample every 8 seconds, 900 points per page (2hrs), Ramp mode.
On the Capture Properties tab I suggest Capture Graphs - tick Rx Noise Margin, Rx Sync Speed, Rx Attenuation. You should not need any of the Tx/Up graphs captured unless you are seeing problems there.
Name the folder where you want your logs and graphs to be saved (I suggest its own folder where ever you wish) Date/Time format as default & 'Do not append' left unticked.
In the schedule box tick 'Always' and ' Capture additional graphs when RouterStats closes' and 'Unless there are less than 20 points plotted', untick the others.
In the Overlay box 'current Rx Sync Speed' and 'Current Rx Noise Margin' are the handiest.
On the Extras tab only the Plot average Rx noise margin should need ticking.
In the Captured Image Size box, all the 'Applies to' can remain unticked.
On the Y-axis Limits & Colours tab, choose manual settings to suit the ranges you think you'll likely see rather than leave i

taken from here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,76116.0.html theres a few captures of the menus on there to help you find your way round
rjcleaver

Thanks I shall follow your suggestion.
I've removed the iPlate and will plug the router directly to the master socket with a new filter tomorrow, so that there are minimal variables in the line of the signal.
Cross fingers!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You can try plugging direct into the i-plate plate after that. Whilst you have the front plate removed check that you only have 2 wires connected - blue/w & white/b connected to terminals 2 & 5 and at the Solwise filtered plate. Check the connections are secure.
rjcleaver

Ok sorry for ther delay in doing anything.
I checked the wiring. All was secure and to terminals 2 & 5, but the colours don't match up. The cable entering the house / master socket doesn't have a blue line at all - so orange and white are connected. At the solwise, red and white are connected - when I changed to blue and white although the adsl worked as before there was no phone (it's a std wired one). I have reverted to red and white.
I did the quiet line test and it was ...... quiet!
I am getting even poorer speeds now, but having reinstalled the iPlate hope it will train and I'll get upto the same as before.
Waht puzzles a non-tech like me, is when only two cables are being used, how can the upstream work so well, and the downstream work so badly, I'd have thought either they were both good, or both bad.........
I think I must have have thrown the extension cable and filter away so will need to do some shopping / scrounging, but this may be a few days away as have biz trip in day or two the away at the weekend.
PS what does DLM stand for?Huh
James
Grafter

Dynamic Line Management.
scootie
Grafter

Waht puzzles a non-tech like me, is when only two cables are being used, how can the upstream work so well, and the downstream work so badly, I'd have thought either they were both good, or both bad.........

due to which tones/ frequencies the down and up uses. up uses frequencies that are lower than download and are subject to less interfrence
the green in the graph is upload and blue download. once my longish line gets to tone 209 it finds no useable tones after that due to alot of noise and the limits on higher frequencies traveling a long distances down copper lines.
if my line was abit shorter and started using tones/frequencies above 254 it would then sync on adsl2+ and not just adsl2
you can see the amount of bits carried on tones used start to decrease as well
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: rjcleaver
...............I checked the wiring. All was secure and to terminals 2 & 5, but the colours don't match up. The cable entering the house / master socket doesn't have a blue line at all - so orange and white are connected. At the solwise, red and white are connected - when I changed to blue and white although the adsl worked as before there was no phone (it's a std wired one). I have reverted to red and white............

I suspect you have not explained that very well or things are not connected as they should be.
The BT incoming cable is a different colour from internal wiring. Orange and White going to the Terminals A & B on the back of the rear plate would be correct, but you should not be messing with them, that is the BT side not the customer side. I hope the red and white going to the Solwise are not connected here.
If cable that doesn't meet spec.CW1308 (as used by BT) has been used (not ideal), which sounds like the case here, the colours can be different. So if a red & white are used they should be the wires connected to the rear of the removeable faceplate terminals 2 & 5, no wires should be connected to terminals 3&4.