cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Broadband stability, even after Openreach visits and SNR profile changes.

john26F14

Poor Broadband stability, even after Openreach visits and SNR profile changes.

Please bear with me, as first time using the forum to post, having only looked through for similar issues (and seeing some having a lot worse problems https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108683.0.html for example). 
I have been with PN for 4 years, past 2 on 21CN WBC, but have been suffering recently with increasing level of disconnects and resyncs.  I'd like some advice from the Community about best thing to do. 
History. 
1. Fault raised with PN 40 days ago, and have been running from master socket since start December, no house extension wiring; tried different microfilters, 2 routers, corded and cordless phones. 
2. Router stats shows stable for some hours, then resync at same time as DS or US SNR drop.   
3. Worse when phone rings, but also has happened overnight when no phone calls made or received,  But then also worse when has rained heavily (2 years ago we had line fault outside house which was cured by Openreach remaking the joint between our direct buried cable and the street cable.
4. Had an Openreach voice engineer visit as we had earth hum - none found when he checked, but he did swap me to an i-plate 4 weeks ago.  Tester was clear of earth faults, bridge taps, high resistances - green for all copper aspects.
5. Had an Openreach broadband engineer visit who cleared my end of things, then went off to check the exchange - PN notes shown No fault at exchange.
6. PN last week change the profile on my line citing errors in profile where it thought I was still DSL max not 21Cn, and also to increase target SNR to 15dB.
Same level of disconnections - RS plots attached for today (though may have got incomplete time plot as can't see whole filename of those already attached when adding more!)
So, feeling pretty depressed that have given up 6M of speed (was syncing at 21M) in the hoep of stability, and not got it.    Do I buy new router and new cordless phone?  Should I push for a change of voice and broadband port at the BT exchange, since that is the only splitter left and hence where voice calls could be causing issues?
Or should I take the plunge and go to Sky or TTG with their own DSLAMs and bypass BT equipment, and hope that the more to MPF will solve the  problem?
Thanks for reading.
7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Poor Broadband stability, even after Openreach visits and SNR profile changes.

Hi John,
Welcome to the forums.
There are some very helpful people around here who will be able to do more than I to assist you.  However, given that I have just spent a month tracking down the cause of intermittent BB I might be able to help a little.
First of all, it would be useful if you can advise of the router / ADSL modem you are using - model and version please.  Then can you post the full stats page here please.
The RouterStats graphs are going to be very useful. On the graph set up page can you set the sample interval to 10 seconds and 720 points per page - this gives about a 2 hour "window" of data.  Set the graphs to auto save.  Leave RouterStats running 24x7.
Have you noticed any consistent time points for problems?  Do these times correspond with anything switching on/ off in the house?  And I mean anything...
With the help of others here, I have just identified that a PSU on my CCTV has been causing my SNRM to drop / rise 9+db at dusk / dawn due to (I believe) the IR LEDs over loading the PSU.  So my suggestion to you is to keep looking.  If there is something in your home that is causing the problem, moving to another provider is not going to cure that problem.
Is your phone line also provided by PN?  If it is, this is going to be easier to fix.  Inbound calls causing BB to drop is. Definite issue which ought to be readily fixable.
In the meantime, the info I have identified will give others something to work with.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

john26F14

Re: Poor Broadband stability, even after Openreach visits and SNR profile changes.

Thanks Kevin - your problem investigation was one of the ones I pored over and prompted me to seek out advice of the Forum good folk!
Plusnet router about 13 months old, this one has been the substitute one since start of Dec as part of fault finding - prior to that was PN D-link 2640B.
No obvious correlations with anything in our house - we only have a PIR front-doorstep light which does come on when folk walk on footpath past house, but as the events happen during day as well as night, doubt it is that.  Heating was 24 hour a day during most Dec, now 0600-2300 and again, nothing on the overnight bursts correlates to heating. 
Phone is via Pn, and we got the voice visit as noted already - clean.  Even after rain, my favourite suspect for correlator, remote check shows clean, despite a few crackles and pops on audio.

Product Name: TG582n
Serial Number: CP<snip>
Software Release: 8.4.4.I
Software Variant: AJ
Boot Loader Version: 1.0.5
Product Code: 36847780
Board Name: DANT-T
RS has been running since 4 Dec, saving 24*7, but 60 second samples and hence 4 hours 10 mins per page.    Could change to 10secs but already have 1200 jpegs and csv files..... so may hold off for a little while!
Stats page via RS summary tab:
xdsl info expand=enabled
Physical Layer Statistics:       
  Modem state:                  up
  Up time (Days hh:mm:ss):      0 days, 4:11:19
  xDSL Standard:                ITU-T G.992.5
  xDSL Annex:                  Annex A
  Channel Mode:                      Interleaved
  Number of reset:              7
  Chipset Vendor info (G.994.1):  Local Remote
    Country code:                  B500  B500
    ID:                            BDCM  IFTN
    Specific:                      0000  8279
  System Vendor info (showtime): Local Remote
    Country code:                0F00  0000
    ID:                          TMMB  ----
    Specific:                    3C61  0000
  Bearers generic info          DS        US     
    Payload rate [Kbps]: 14757    905 
    Attenuation [dB]:    11.0          7.1           
    Margins [dB]:        10.5          5.2           
    Output power [dBm]:  0.0            12.6         
    Number of bearers:          1
    Bearer 0                    DS        US     
      INP [DMT symbols]:    0.20          2.71         
      Delay [ms]:          4.31          7.91         
      Depth []:          32            0.00
      R:                  6        0     
G.997.1 Statistics (Current):       
  Failures:
    Line failures              Near end
      Loss of signal (LOS):  7     
      Loss of frame (LOF):    57     
      Loss of power (LPR):  0     
  Performance monitoring:
    Line PM:          Near end
      Error second (ES):    74     
    Channel PM:        Near end Far end
      Bearer 0:
        Code Violation (CV):    0        0     
        FEC:                    0        208   
    ATM data path PM:            Near end Far end
      Bearer 0:
        HEC violation count (HEC):      0        N/A
G.997.1 Statistics (last 15 minutes):       
  Failures:
      Loss of signal (LOS):  0     
      Loss of frame (LOF):    0     
  Performance monitoring:
      Error second (ES):    0     
      Bearer 0:
      Bearer 0:
G.997.1 Statistics (last 24 hours):       
  Failures:
      Loss of signal (LOS):  7     
      Loss of frame (LOF):    57     
  Performance monitoring:
      Error second (ES):    74     
      Bearer 0:
      Bearer 0:
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi john26F14,
We've got the info that you put on your ticket today, I've got fault agent looking into this and we'll be in-touch soon.
john26F14

Thanks Chris - glad the forum is still up even if the main site and faults.plus.net is down.
john26F14

20 mins with Plusnet CSA - BT visit booked for Friday am, aim is to eliminate exchange equipment as cause.  Here's hoping.  Oh, and I now have loads of graphs at 10 second intervals showing line tests, incoming phone calls, and disturbances when people fast asleep - so some correlation - but not always.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

John,
Good news then.  At least you have your first 'angle-grinder' on the problem.
Mine rolls on - not helped by today's issues - starting to think that I might have some correlation with phone calls too.  A suggestion - as you are with PN, you could download your out going call list and look to correlate that with your disconnections.  As for drops when no one is around to use the phone, do you have a Sky box (or the like - e.g. burglar alarm) attached to the phone line which "calls home" during the night?
Good luck,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

john26F14

Hi Kevin, good evening!  We did have a Sky box till May last year, but ditched in favour of freesat - kids still haven't forgiven me, so may have to go for Sky LLU if PN does not improve.    Burglar alarm is bells-only.  All home sockets dis'd anyway since start Dec, leaving just the master with an iplate.  Outgoing call logs downloaded, but no outgoing today. Yesterday's 2 outgoing calls match drops at 1538 and 1642. 
But no one is calling us or no-one ringing out overnight... and I have quizzed the cat, who denies everything.