cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet won't lower downstream SNR!!

diggler
Grafter

Re: Plusnet won't lower downstream SNR!!

Let's hope so! Just out of curiosity, would switching to fibre eradicate this problem? Or could a possible fault between the cabinet and my house cause the same issues?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

It could eradicate a fault, but as you state if the possible fault is between the cabinet and your house it would cause the same issues.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Chris how can you tell if the customer had a faulty line card at the exchange?
deathtrap
Grafter

@Goldendsl:"Changing to other isp's will not SOLVED" If from one BTWholesale 21CN based service to another, this would be the case as the same line card at the exchange would be used,
But if the OP migrated  to  say cable & wireless or talk talk wholesale or 02 wholesale , all are partial LLU and the bt line is connected to the ISP's line card as they install their own dslams not bt 21cn kit,  TT consumer  and Sky also use their own equipment in exchanges,but they also require full control of the BTline,
So both voice and dsl , The only times they will use BT kit is if they don't have their LLU kit installed in your exchange, and their BTW 20/21cn based adsl is very poor, lots of congestion relates issues and the like, because they don't want to pay BT for capacity ,
And far as im aware the line card in use on a BTW20/21CN circuit doesn't get swapped unless it develops a fault ,regardless of which ISP your with ,as it belongs to BT openreach not the ISP  And from a conversation with a BTOR SFI engineer  the kit at the exchange is also filtered from the voice part , and just like your normal adsl filter they deteriorate over time , and could cause the same or similar  problems,, i once had a similar problem, where the upstream snr would  hit zero when the phone rang this would cause a instant disconnect, my isp at the time had an engineer  in fact 2 of them, fixing the issue the next day,  the line card  i think got changed a few times as well as a port shift  in the 3yrs i was with them, Was a SMPF LLU ISP  so no stubborn BT to deal with
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: goldenadsl
Chris how can you tell if the customer had a faulty line card at the exchange?

We'd need this rasing with our suppliers, I'm going off more what it sounds like the issue is.
diggler
Grafter

And you still think that it's a line card issue? Multiple disconnects last night and still dropping even with just a dial tone, and my upstream SNR margin seems to be changing with every reboot or disconnect. My worry is that I will be scheduled another BT visit and that the OR engineer's line tests will come back clear and BTW will refuse to do anything about it again.....
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We've got more detailed information now to pass on so this should help.
diggler
Grafter

Just had a phone call from Dayl, Plusnet CSC analyst, and Broadband cut off so many times during our conversation I now have a lovely D/S SNR Margin of 15dB! Have an Engineer coming on Monday the14th, but I don't hold out much hope for swift resolution to this problem....
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Blimey that the worst nightmare for you. And with 15dB snr until 14th October. I don't think I would wait that long. Poor u. Feel for u. Sad 8351K is like going back to old day ADSL 20CN!
diggler
Grafter

Tell me about it, take a look at my latest BT speed test, I wished I'd never complained, my connection is in a worse shape than a month ago!!!!!!
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Something is not right. Look at the ping 61ms. And a snr of 15dB.  And a low sync rate just like the old ADSL 20CN. The fault team will have a look on this. I don't believe in BT Engineer will going to make it any better. But, probably waste your time. Speak to the fault team tomorrow first thing and get that sorted out mate. And tell them that u don't want BT Engineer to come out.
diggler
Grafter

I'm just hoping that some nice person from Plusnet Support can either retrain my line, or at least reset my downstream SNR Margin, so that I don't have to put up with 20CN speeds!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Let us know how your engineer visit goes this Monday.
diggler
Grafter

Will do. Is there any point in me trying to get an SNR reset through you for the time being?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd probably hang fire until the engineer visit if I'm honest.