cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet won't lower downstream SNR!!

diggler
Grafter

Re: Plusnet won't lower downstream SNR!!

Very interesting, I would never have thought that a change of router could result in a higher sync rate. I'm presently syncing at 11.8 mbps, but used to sync at around 13.5 mbps until a couple of months ago. That 1.5 meg drop caused me to change from my old DG834PN, but alas, no difference...
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Before with snr of 3:
DG834N 13515K
DGN2200v3 15128K
DGND3700v2 17463K
See my screenshot of excellent Netgear DGND3700v2 one of the best router with high performance on ADSL2+
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

diggler if u leave it on for 10 days with snr of 6 with stable then next step try snr of 3.
diggler
Grafter

You read my mind!! I'm hoping for ten days stability!! Thanks for the info goldenadsl, much appreciated!
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

What is your current sync rate at the moment? I had fitted Adslnation faceplate on the master socket with very short high quality adslnation cable from the socket to the router. See photos below:
diggler
Grafter

Current sync rate 11886K at the moment. Alas, I don't have the luxury of an adsl faceplate, my master socket is by the front door with no nearby electricity points, so I have to have a 3M telephone extension to my router. Always used to connect at 13500K, but towards the end of July my connection rate got lowered. After being investigated neither Plusnet nor BT Openreach seemed to know why.  Sad
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

11886K (Sound like your is interleaving on) as you only get 10.4Mb IP Profile rate for line attenuation of 31dB. You should get better sync rate. Maybe a ring wire on your master socket and try get 0.5M telephone extension. and use long power extension leads instead and get your router much closer to the master socket. My mum had the same as you as she get sync rate of 14517K on her line attenuation of 32dB with snr of 6.
diggler
Grafter

After a line drop at 2.41 this morning, my upload speed has been capped at 440K (again!). Could you please take at look at his for me? Is it an interleaving problem? Also, could you tell me if I have a banded profile, as I am not connecting at the speeds I was a couple of months ago, I seem to have hit a downstream connection speed 'ceiling'.
I've just had an email saying that a request to BT Wholesale for interleaving to be placed on my line has occurred!!! I already have an interleaved connection! I'm starting to get really fed up with this!!!! I guess that's what has caused the upstream cap!! How can Plusnet not know that my line is already interleaved!! Thanks Plusnet, I now have a ping of 60ms....... perfect for gaming (not)
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Oh dear me. It's the supplier that messed it up. I am sure the staff here will placed an order to turn off interleaved overnight for you. Don't panic mate.
diggler
Grafter

It just concerns me that Plusnet support don't seem to know what's going on with my connection. How can they not know that my line was already interleaved? I had a perfectly decent connection until a couple of months ago and now all I seem to be doing is chasing up problems.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I know I been through that before as I have to gone through to fault team speaking directly to BTW via echat and BT removed my interleaved but put 448k back on upstream, Again echat to get uncapped and got 1279k on upstream but was interleaved on. Again echat and this time reset everything and put 1279k on upstream and both interleaved switched off. It took BT five times to do this because of mistake upstream capped, interleaved on and snr at 6 should be 3.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

An order has been placed to uncap your upload which will complete tomorrow, however interleaving is still on so I will need to get this removed by placing an order tomorrow.
I presume when a line reset was done last week it has caused your line to revert to these settings.
diggler
Grafter

Thanks Chris, it was yourself who reset my downstream SNR to 6db on Tuesday. I assume the interleaving order was requested by someone else? It happened the day after your reset. And do you know if my profile is banded? Or is it the interleaving causing lower connection speeds? Once again, thanks.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I spoke with our suppliers on Tuesday to get your profile manually adjusted not an SNR reset, the SNR reset placed prior to that hadn't had the desired effect to get you to 6dB.
Anyway, I'll make sure we get the interleaving removed tomorrow after the uncap has completed. It will mean that the interleaving is removed on Monday though.
diggler
Grafter

No problem, thanks for your time and efforts Chris, and apologies for my earlier rants, but this has dragged on and on. Can you not tell if my profile is banded?