cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet speed lower than BT

Sigint
Dabbler

Plusnet speed lower than BT

I moved from BT to Plusnet a few months ago and while my speed is ok at 13mb/s it's still much lower than the over 16mb/s I had with BT's standard BB.
Normally I wouldn't be too bothered but I was trying some UHD streaming from Amazon/Netflix to see my new UHD TV in action but apparently I need over 15mb/s to do this. Sad
My current ip profile is 13.06 mb/s.
Is there a possibility of having my BB speed a little higher, approaching what I had from BT previously as it's over the same line with the same microfilters etc. or I am on a hiding to nothing here?
Thanks in advance
31 REPLIES 31
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Plusnet speed lower than BT

Hi Sigint,
Welcome to the forums.
Can you please read the speed issues thread (link below) and gather all of the information requested there.  There could be a number of reasons for the lower speeds, the information requested might indicate where the issue is.
Are you talking about synch speed or data speed tests?  If the latter, over wifi or wired?
Is there any noise on your phone line?  Dial 17070 option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the master socket.
Is the router plugged into the master socket?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Sigint
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply. I’m using the BT HH4 I had with BT as I wanted to continue to have 2.4GHz and 5GHz support. It connects without problem.
Quiet line test works fine, no noise.
I’m referring to the maximum download speed supported on my line since moving to plusnet.
The router is connected into a built in extension panel –exactly the same one used when with BT.
I’ve previously tried the master socket and the test socket under that and it made no difference.
Details:
DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 3.00 dB downstream
DSL line rate: 1147 Kbps upstream, 14808 Kbps downstream
IP Profile for your line is - 13.06 Mbps
(For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.)
Current line speed: 13 Mb
Before moving from BT I took some details from the HH4 and the BT download speed was showing as 16.27Mbps
Whilst the speed is obviously ‘within range’ just a bit annoying that my speed is just a little below that which is required for UHD streaming.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
I'm not familiar with the HH4 - does it report the line's attenuation?  The SNRM is just 3dB which somewhat suggests that the line is not being managed for any issues.
Note that line synch speed has nothing to do with an ISP using WBC products.
Did you get a router form PlusNet?  If yes, it might be worth while plugging that in to see what line speed that reports.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Sigint
Dabbler

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to see line attenuation in the HH4. I have  Technicolor TG582n from when I was previously with plusnet. I'll give that a go as you suggest and see what it reports but I suspect that Ill get the same speeds as the BT OpenReach street cabinet is just around the corner. Of course it could be a cunning plan from ISPs to get us all to take FTTC!
Sigint
Dabbler

Found the Technicolor router. Here are the details - just a copy/paste:
Link Information:

Uptime: 0 days, 0:12:38

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,135 / 14,607

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 494.59 / 206.15

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.8 / 32.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 3.1

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 19 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 19

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 4
Wrighty11
Grafter

Hi Sigint,
Sorry to hear your having issues with your connection. Done some checks on your line and there is a lot of errors on your download which maybe having an impact on your connection. If you follow some of the checks in the link below it might help with your issues.
https://youtu.be/br8Q3S-fOl4
Once you have done them  let us know and we can do another check to see if the errors have gotten any better.
Sigint
Dabbler

Hi - would the errors you see be caused because I was swapping my BT HH4 for the Technicolor router in order to get some more detailed stats or are these errors from a number of days/weeks ago?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Nope, just error rates on the line - in the 12 and a half minutes of the connection, the router had 90 19 seconds with errors.  20 CRC errors is one nearly ever 30 seconds.  Not ideal!
How have the checks gone?
EDIT: Cheers ejs - no idea where that typo came from!  Huh

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I'm not sure how 19 has become 90. The error rate could be not that surprising for a 3db margin with interleaving off.
Sigint
Dabbler

Hi. Just to make clear that I have had no hardware/cable/microfilter changes since I migrated from BT.
I'm using the same HH4 albeit with my plusnet username/password entered. Despite this my plusnet download speed has never been as fast as I previously had with BT.
These are relatively newbuild homes and the 'extension' socket - as put in by developer - I always had HH4 connected to is the same one I always used without problem before.
Anyway:
Do I have dial-tone? Yes
Has quiet line test passed? Yes
Have I checked microfilters? Yes
Is router plugged in to master socket? Yes it is now.
Details as reported by HH4:
DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 3.00 dB downstream
DSL line rate: 1135 Kbps upstream, 14776 Kbps downstream
I've previously tried the test socket also a few weeks ago and it made no difference. Not too keen to keep having to reboot router as it causes connection to get that little bit slower most times.
As I said the speed is 'in range' just was hoping it would get the same speeds as Plusnet's parent company.
The HH4 isn't too great at supplying details so  maybe a plusnet person can tell me if there are still errors showing. Thanks.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Can you please find your circuit estimated length from here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php please.

Sigint
Dabbler

Hi. The only info. I can see that's related to length is:
Exchange: Redcliffe BT Code: SSRED
Distance:- Direct:    5707.68 km (really?)
  (appx)* By Road: 1.4 km
Is this what you were referring to?
I also put the downstream attenuation of 32db - as reported by the Technicolor router I previously used - into the 'max adsl speed calculator' and it has my 'approximate line length' of 2.3km
thanks.
Wrighty11
Grafter

hey Sigint

Ive done some more checks on your line and some things havnt changed. Ive made a few adjustments on our suppliers end which may help. If not they can be reversed without issue. Let us know if you are still having problems in 24-48 hours.
Sigint
Dabbler

I see that I've moved from Fastpath to Interleaved  - which I've never had on this line before...
My download speed is now showing as : 12.39 Mbps
Cry