cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet service since install (3days)

braduk210

Plusnet service since install (3days)

I have had plusnet fibre unlimited three days now. On the whole its been brilliant, but during the last 3 days i've noticed something that is concerning.
My current line sync in the member centre is 78MB(I guess this is not the actual result from BT yet). Results from BT wholesale speedtest and also speedtest.net have generally been consistant at 52-54Mbps Down, and 8-9Mbps Up. I have been monitoring this every few hours to give me a rough idea of what service to expect in the long term. What i have found though is the throughput drops down to 6-8Mbps down, and 6Mbps up generally around peak-times, and this seems directly related to which plusnet gateway i'm connected through.
For example if i disconnect the pppoe session in the router and reconnect, i check the gateway using the user tools it has changed and my throughput has every single time returned the the former speeds. Is this going to be a regular occurrence with plusnet? Is this something that is an issue others are having?
Edit1, When i say peak-times i generally mean 5pm-22pm.
Edit2, I am almost positive the issue i am suffering is BT backhaul, or Plusnet gateway capacity. An issue of which i have an unsympathetic view of because i pay for a service, i expect the provider to meet that service and ensure their network has the capacity to handle all their customer traffic.
Edit3, The gateway i was having throughput issues with today was PCL-AG03. On pppoe session disconnect/reconnect i was using PCL-AG08 which resolved the issue immediately.
11 REPLIES 11
englishrick
Grafter

Re: Plusnet service since install (3days)

I'm in the same club as you...I thought Fibre would of been better than this!!!! At least my Normal Broadband was always constant with sky no matter what time of the day..
chrisdejongh

And add another one... having been on fibre since tuesday, the BT engineer said I am able to get 80/20, though have never seen speeds above 40/10. It might just be my profile setting, but usertools says I am at 78, so do not understand it all. But there is the 10 day waiting period for retraining etc, so when do I raise a ticket?
braduk210

To be honest in my situation i'm happy with the results i am getting, i guess my line is syncing around 55-60Mbps judging by the results from BT Wholesale and Speedtest.net, what i am disappointed with is that the issue with the slow throughput seems to be Plusnet Gateway/Network capacity rather than any issue with my line or sync speeds.
Edit. (I cannot see my fibre profile because i cannot run the advanced diagnostics on BTW as it says there is an error, and to try again later).
dick:quote
Joopzor
Grafter

I feel the same, i do a lot of streaming and watching streams and peak time i have to turn the quality down and do the disconnect till i get a new gateway!
I shouldn't have to do this to get a good speed all the time
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

FYI see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111170.0.html this is the issue likely to be causing everyone's grief as it's been affecting throughput speeds as well.
@braduk210
Keep plugging away at the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test. Copy and paste the results in a post. Unfortunately it's well known that the test can be borked from time to time.
braduk210

Thanks for the additional information, for some reason i am unable to do further diagnostics however many times i try.
The issue i am having is exactly that as being discussed with the gateways. Which unless i am wrong are under Plusnet control. In which case they need to add additional capacity and load-balance accordingly.
As for obtaining my fibre profile i plan to keep trying the BTW diagnostics. I do think the OR modem being locked down like it is on install is overkill as it would be nice to get my exact sync speed. I know you can JTAG the box to get past the restrictions and get the sync speeds but i don't plan to mess about like that end of day i just want to pay for the service and use it.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

When the Digital Care Team (DCT) are in tomorrow I expect they can post your current DLM profile for you. As I mentioned in the other thread it does not seem to be a Capacity issue. Have a good read of the more recent pages of the Latency thread.
What exchange are you on? Perhaps a DCT member can pursue the issue of the Tester with BTw if you persistently can't get the Diagnostic test to run.
Phileasfrog
Grafter

And another! 
I returned to PN after several years away on 21 Feb.  During the day it is fine (Unlimited Fibre with max IP profile confirmed by Speedtest.net and the BTW test), but during each evening from about 7pm I have to gateway hop to retain any semblance of the daytime performance.  In this location I find that ptw-ag02 is the better although my Tbb monitor still shows latency issues.
An update from PN Support would be useful and an idea as to when the issue will be resolved.
braduk210

Well as-long as this is sorted in the short term i am not to fussed. Does worry me that this has been on-going on the thread in announcements for over a month. Judging by the gateway names, PCL/PTN  i assume these mean Plusnet City Life, and Plusnet Telehouse North. I only seem to get gateways located in City LIfe, and even then over the last 3 days the only one that has caused me problems has been PCL-AG03. I am currently being routed through PCL-AG08 which is brilliant for me at the moment.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Anotherone
FYI see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111170.0.html this is the issue likely to be causing everyone's grief as it's been affecting throughput speeds as well.
@braduk210
Keep plugging away at the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test. Copy and paste the results in a post. Unfortunately it's well known that the test can be borked from time to time.

Yeah, please capture the further diagnostics information.  If you get a speed slower than 15Mbps (I think) it will do additional test which we will find useful.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: braduk210
Well as-long as this is sorted in the short term i am not to fussed. Does worry me that this has been on-going on the thread in announcements for over a month. Judging by the gateway names, PCL/PTN  i assume these mean Plusnet City Life, and Plusnet Telehouse North. I only seem to get gateways located in City LIfe, and even then over the last 3 days the only one that has caused me problems has been PCL-AG03. I am currently being routed through PCL-AG08 which is brilliant for me at the moment.

I'm spending much of my time trying to determine what's going on there, so we are definitely on with it.  Can you confirm that you are only seeing the problem on certain gateways?  Some of the stuff being reported differs in their accounts, in that some way gateway hopping helps, and other say that it it only helps for a short period before the problem returns.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager