cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet seems to crash an old iMac, IPV6 issue?

Afd

Plusnet seems to crash an old iMac, IPV6 issue?

I recently gave a a friend from work my Dad’s old iMac, it’s a core 2 duo running 10.5, a 2006 one I think. The Mac was working at my Dad’s and at my house (BT and Sky broadband) but wouldn’t run at my friends house. He brought it into work and I tried it using my phones hotspot and it worked with it. Today I had a quick look at the Mac at his house, I tried turning off Wi-fi and connecting via Ethernet, it worked for a bit but the Mac crashed and froze. I’m going back to try and get things working this week.

has anyone here encountered anything like this before? I was wondering if it was an IPV6 thing, if I disabled it on either the router or iMac it might get things working?

thanks

afd 

4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Plusnet seems to crash an old iMac, IPV6 issue?

You should be able to turn off IPv6 networking within the network adaptor properties of the Mac, hopefully that will resolve the issues.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Afd

Thanks for the reply, I’ll try that when I’m over. 

I was wondering if a Mac of that vintage is capable of using IPV6, can it be turned off in the router? It doesn’t just stop internet access it completely freezes it.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

What router are we talking about?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Afd

Sorry, I’m not sure, I’ll have a look when I go over. I know it works fine with his IPhone 5, Apple TV 4 and PS 4 it’s only the old iMac that doesn’t like it.