Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet's Technicolor TG582n Router is OPEN TO HACKERS! - help needed

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Plusnet's Technicolor TG582n Router is OPEN TO HACKERS! - help needed

The NAS told your router to open them up with uPnP.
The firewall is blocking access to them generally.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which is exactly why it was suggested near the start of this thread to disable uPnP, as the relevant firewall ports can be selectively opened in the router setup ONLY IF external web access is required !    Crazy
Cobalt19
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
The NAS told your router to open them up with uPnP.
The firewall is blocking access to them generally.

Aha that uPnP thing again.
Quote from: purleigh
Which is exactly why it was suggested near the start of this thread to disable uPnP, as the relevant firewall ports can be selectively opened in the router setup ONLY IF external web access is required !    Crazy

Actually I thought I had switched off uPnP but it turns out I had not so I am pleased to say, as you predicted, that the ShieldsUp! Scan has now reported back full stealth . Hurrah! Thanks again.  Smiley
The only problem now is that VPN still doesn't work and I am wondering what else on my network wont work now uPnP is off.
Anonymous
Not applicable

So set the Plusnet firewall to 'Low'.
I don't think VPN uses UPnP to establish connections, I have never used UPnP and my VPN just works as expected.
There are usually separate router VPN settings depending on how you are making the VPN links.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

And don't forget to drop your PPP session and start a new one for the Plusnet Firewall changes to take effect.
Cobalt19
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
So set the Plusnet firewall to 'Low'.
I don't think VPN uses UPnP to establish connections, I have never used UPnP and my VPN just works as expected.
There are usually separate router VPN settings depending on how you are making the VPN links.

Yeah -I did that - look....
"but after I had switched the PN firewall down to Low ( and then disconnected internet via the UI and powered down the router - then a minute later powered up the router and then reconnected internet via the UI"

Cobalt19
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
And don't forget to drop your PPP session and start a new one for the Plusnet Firewall changes to take effect.

Thanks- I did that: "but after I had switched the PN firewall down to Low ( and then disconnected internet via the UI and powered down the router - then a minute later powered up the router and then reconnected internet via the UI"
Many thanks
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You don't need to power down, just to do that, just wait 30seconds between Disconnect and Connect.
If at anytime you are going to power down as well for some reason, stay off for around 10 minutes minimum to be safe, this is so DLM doesn't see it as a dropped connection.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cobalt19, regarding you VPN not connecting, someone else has the same problem with the TG582n in this thread - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,115490.0.html, so that might be worth keeping an eye on ?