Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet's Technicolor TG582n Router is OPEN TO HACKERS! - help needed

Cobalt19
Grafter

Plusnet's Technicolor TG582n Router is OPEN TO HACKERS! - help needed

THE SITUATION
Just joined Plusnet three days ago and connected the supplied Router (Technicolor TG582n) and it set itself up fine and I get Broadband OK - this part is good.
Testing the router with the www.grc.com 'Shields Up!' security check service (as suggested on Plusnet's own website) using the 'All Common Ports' test, reveals many ports are visible as 'open' or 'closed' and not stealthed. Consequently my network is open to hacking and it is not good enough. I phoned Plusnet telephone customer service twice and spoke to friendly guys who informed me that they "do not support giving advice on stealthing this router". Not good!
Visible Ports are as follows....
Closed: Port s21, 22, 137, 138, 443
Open: Ports 139, 445, 548
My previous router (and on a different ISP - the very excellent but expensive Eclipse Internet) stealthed everything and that is what I want again with this new router and Plusnet. My previous router is not ADSL2+ as I got it when Broadband in the UK became available 'back in the day' probably 2004 for me. I am not a computer technician - just your average user. The household uses internet for email, surfing, iPlayer, Youtube Skype video calls, and the occasional online gaming (PS3). As I said earlier - all this has been working perfectly before using a stealthed router.
MY OBJECTIVE
To have my new router operating all internet fnctions whilst being completely stealthed.
MY QUESTIONS

• Is it possible to stealth this Technicolor TG582n?
    If so - where can I find the detailed settings?
    If i

t is impossible to stealth this router then what do I do next?
See screen grab below...
68 REPLIES 68
David_W
Rising Star

Re: cant delete tis post - ignore this pls

It should be in stealth naturally due to the firewall on the router, so check if it's on.  If you want extra security though head along to here and turn on the firewall on Plusnets side (remember to reconnect after switching settings though).
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Plusnet's Technicolor TG582n Router is OPEN TO HACKERS! - help needed

dick:green Duplicate post removed and threads merged.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Cobalt19
Grafter

The router firewall has defaulted to Security Level 'Standard' from boot up so it was active during Shields Up! test.
Cobalt19
Grafter

So Plusnet also has a Firewall service which is not on the router itself? How confusing! I have just set it to 'on' as it was 'off'. I will need to reconnect as stated but don't know what that means exactly. Doe sit mean...

• click 'disconnect' on the router homepage, then click 'connect'?
    P

ower off the router then Power on?
Help?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Just do the disconnect then connect on the router's webpage, no need for power off/on.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you got "UPnP" enabled in your TG582n ?
If so try switching "UPnP" off and repeating the 'Shields Up!' test.
mattturner
Grafter

Hi Cobalt,
What version of the firmware are you using? It should look something like 1.2.3.4.AB
You can find this by going to the information page in the router's HTTP interface.
Thanks,
Matt
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The test result in the opening post differs from mine. My firmware is 8.4.4.J.
With the standard settings (including for UPnP) on my TG582n (ADSL), except ping response from WAN is enabled, all common ports show as 'stealth'. The Plusnet firewall is 'off'.
????
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Same as mine - router received 14th Feb 13 -all settings as received
Cobalt19
Grafter

Hi all. OK - I have some specific answers to your respective questions....
@Matt Turner and Spraxyt - my Router firmware is also 8.4.4.J
@purleigh - UPnP is 'on' here on Technicolor - but pls be aware that it has always been on and I had no issues for the last eight years with my other Router and ISP - all Ports were stealthed even with UPnP 'on'! So the differences in behaviour makes no sense to me at all.
I see two of you have All Ports Stealthed on either NO Server-side firewall and with Standard Firewall on the Technicolor (installation default).
How can I get different readings to you then? It makes no sense.
Also - I use VPN from time to time and with my previous router and ISP, a stealthed system did not interfere with VPN connection back to my house. With my current settings (Plusnetss Server-side Firewall on 'High' and Technicolor Firewall on 'Standard' ) - my ability to connect back with VPN is now killed dead.
Help!
w23
Pro

The server-side firewall will block VPN if set to 'high'. Sad
The router firewall appears to be the problem here but I have no idea why, sorry.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Cobalt19
Grafter

Hi.
If I change UPnP to 'off' then what will be the effect? I cant remember why I needed it on - probably something to so with being able to stream videos or photos from my NAS drive, or does the Playstation 3 need to see UPnP on the router? I am not even sure what UPnP isand why anyone needs it...
w23
Pro

As far as I understand (which probably isn't that far), UPnP opens ports 'on demand' or 'when needed', would you have had equipment such as the PS3 running when you did the grc port check?  Could you try the port check with all such devices off?
Call me 'w23'
am77
Grafter

Upnp (universal Plug and Play) in real simple terms means that it will automatically open ports as and when requested.  It reduces the need to manually set ports open when gaming, or using external devices that want internet access through the router.  😃