Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet profile set wrong?

xpcomputers
Grafter

Plusnet profile set wrong?

Hi
I just raised a ticket as my parents connection is jammed at about 7Mb/s... yet they are syncing at 20.4Mb/s and the BT profile is 18Mb/s. Therefore I'm assuming the Plusnet profile just needs resetting (is that right?). However despite giving all the info in the ticket about router stats, BT tester, and Plusnet Profile, I just got a stock copy & paste answer of use the fault finder. Is that the best wayt? Seems a lot of faff and nonsense instead of just correcting the Plusnet Profile. The router sync shows it has been online for 23 days, so doesn't look unstable to me. Since I now live in NZ, it makes visiting my parents house for troubleshooting a bit tricky, so if anyone can shed some light, I'd be most grateful. Happy to use the fault finder if that is the best way, but could be tricky to complete all the steps correctly from here talking my dad through it.
Thanks
Ticket # 47129253
Crucial info from the ticket:
From your website it says:
Telephone number:
019925*******
Phone exchange:
HERTFORD
Estimated line speed:
7Mb (This may vary between 6Mb and 8Mb) - Checked on 2011-09-29 13:31:56
Current line speed:
7.15 Mb

However, the BT Tester shows:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6385 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 18015 Kbps

My Thomson router shows:
Link Information
Uptime: 23 days, 17:19:47
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 20,419
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 1.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.5 / 17.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 32.0 / 4.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,280
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 971
3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Plusnet profile set wrong?

You are right that it is pointless trying to use the faults troubleshooter for this. In fact just about every question is not applicable. I suggest your parents respond to the ticket by pointing out the problem is *not* a BT service fault but an incorrectly set Current line speed in the Plusnet Member Centre. The CSC need to arrange for that to be set to 18000kbps to cure the problem.
This might well have occurred due to IP Profile quantisation trials in your parent's exchange. Delta reports sometimes seem to be missed if trial software is installed while an IP change in under time-based countdown.
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Should be sorted now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

xpcomputers
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
You are right that it is pointless trying to use the faults troubleshooter for this. In fact just about every question is not applicable. I suggest your parents respond to the ticket by pointing out the problem is *not* a BT service fault but an incorrectly set Current line speed in the Plusnet Member Centre. The CSC need to arrange for that to be set to 18000kbps to cure the problem.

I was the person who wrote their ticket for them, and I specifically said I thought the Plusnet profile was set wrongly and asked them to reset it to match the BT one, and then gave them all the evidence to back that up... which is why I surprised I got a cut & paste, "use the fault troubleshooter" type of response. Glad it wasn't just me who thought it an odd way to tackle the ticket.
Fortunately Bob has intervened with a bit of sanity (Thanks Bob) and hopefully it is all sorted now... I have emailed the parents and am waiting to see what they report back, but hopefully it is all sorted now.
Thanks guys...
Mike