cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet profile not applied (hooray)

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Plusnet profile not applied (hooray)

I've read the explanation but........
How does that explain when you reconnect at a higher speed than your previous working profile and then this "miracle" happens?
That's the question being asked.
For me that's when this effect happens not the other easily explained away around.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry bnb, at a loss with that one... miracle?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

A few days on and now I'm getting a normal result
Download speed achieved during the test was - 8.63 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 9.41 Mbps
Matt adjusted my current line speed (Plusnet profile) to 9.1 (although it should be 9.4).
I'd still like to see Plusnet offering a "No" add-on for people who just want their full bandwidth (up to the BT IP Profile) without having to continually request Plusnet to catch up at their end.   
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

That would make a lot of sense in households with one PC doing one thing at a time where prioritising traffic is pointless.
An opt out opt in button Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Off the original topic but I noticed that my router dropped the PPP session around the time that Matt adjusted my Current Line Speed to 9.1 and again more recently.  Meanwhile my Current Line Speed made it back to the 9.4 value it should have been about a week ago.  Does a change in your Plusnet profile force a PPP session drop?
As a bit of fun, I started a poll for a "No" option for users who download but don't multi-task http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111019.0.html
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Yes it does - at least it should as without a PPP drop it isn't applied to the connection
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

So does the Radius (?) log record this PPP session drop?  If so, this would mean Plusnet can see exactly how long it takes for the Plusnet profile to catch up after a change of sync speed.
Edit:  And, thanks, Oldjim.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Radius does record PPP session drops, although if they are very brief they can sometimes go unnoticed , but the Radius log does not tell us whether it is just a PPP drop or a sync drop.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Oh, thanks Chris. Rather a pity that the Radius log does not discriminate. 
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not sure we could make it so it does discriminate? It'll depend what (if any) signals are sent in the event of a requested disconnect, but if it's an accidental drop (either of PPP or sync) by its nature it's unexpected, so all we see is the connection from the exchange drop - we won't get any information on why.
Still I'll raise it to those internally with the know.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Matt, I was thinking that a loss of sync will generally be followed by a PPP session drop as the Plusnet profile is adjusted to match the new sync rate - given that it is likely the sync rate will change, if only a little.  So, on a line that is generally stable, events will happen in pairs.  And by pairing events together you could get data that tells you exactly how long it takes for the Plusnet profile to catch up with the BT IP Profile.     
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

It's something to take onboard. finding out how long it can take for our profile to catch up with the BT one it will depend on how quick the delta report is generated and processed through to us too.