cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet offers estimated just 1mbps, TalkTalk provides 3.5mbps - dare I switch?

puzzledoff
Grafter

Plusnet offers estimated just 1mbps, TalkTalk provides 3.5mbps - dare I switch?

I'm on the Welton exchange and get roughly 3.8mbps from TalkTalk, but started the switch from TalkTalk to Plusnet last night, assuming that the estimate of only 1mbps was unduly pessimistic.
I'd assumed that all ISPs were pretty much equal in what they could provide me with down copper lines a couple of miles from the exchange - so assumed that Plusnet would give me roughly what TalkTalk are giving me.
I suspect, though, from mixed responses I've had from Plusnet so far that I was wrong - and that if Plusnet is estimating 1mbps that's what I'm likely to get.  1mbps is no good at all to me, and I think I may have to cancel the order.
Can anyone throw any light on this, please?  I'd very much like to move to Plusnet, but not if the speed's going to be that low.
22 REPLIES 22
joclark
Grafter

Re: Plusnet offers estimated just 1mbps, TalkTalk provides 3.5mbps - dare I switch?

Hey, Can you post me your line stats so I can have look and see what speeds you could expect.
Thanks
Jo
puzzledoff
Grafter

Re: Plusnet offers estimated just 1mbps, TalkTalk provides 3.5mbps - dare I switch?

Thanks - does this make sense?  Apologies for the formatting:
ADSL
  Type Interleave Path
  Status SHOWTIME
  Downstream Upstream
  Data rate(Kbps) 4000Kb 1024Kb
  Noise Margin 6 6
  Output power(dBm) 125 181
  Attenuation(dB) 53 27
joclark
Grafter

Based on your Attenuation its showing you could get between 3.5 and 4 Mbs. However, we do have to advise you of the estimate rather than this Attenuation. simply because you are moving from Talk Talks LLU equipment in the exchange to BT Wholesale equipment in the exchange.
Hope this answers your question
puzzledoff
Grafter

Thanks - so if I go ahead with the switch to Plusnet, I'll continue to get the same sort of speed as I do with TalkTalk (3.5 - 4mbps)?
joclark
Grafter

Hopefully, this is not something that I can guarantee. This is because of the change in equipment.
Thanks
Jo
puzzledoff
Grafter

Interesting - so it may be that TalkTalk are using better, more capable equipment in the Welton exchange than BT (which Plusnet are using) are?  Difficult to read the situation any other way, speaking as a layman, if TalkTalk can provide me with almost 4 times what Plusnet appear to be offering.
The difficulty I have, as a new customer, is that there appears to be no way of knowing what speed I'll get until after the transfer has taken place.  If it's 3.5mbps I'll be happy with that, but if it's only the forecast 1mbps I'll be wanting to leave immediately.  Will I still be locked into the contract if that happens?
mwarby
Grafter

I wouldnt say talktalk or bt whole kit is better or worse
What will effect things
-ADSL 1 vs ADSL2/2+ (your exchange has 21CN so you can get all 3)
-chipsets so modem chipsets work better with some exchange chipsets
-DLM this is what decides what SNR margin and interleaving settings are used based on historic line data, bt DLM can be a pain
-wiring in the exchange, the kit will be in different places, its possible you may have a dodgy joint introduced or removed
I'd say though that
-the plusnet ADSL modem is pretty decent and should get best from line
-apart from DLM the other stuff should make very little difference(id be surprised if speeds changed by much more than 0.5M)
-the DLM may have an adverse effect, if your connection is unstable, if though your modem stays connected for weeks between resyncs it should be a no issue
Plusnet themselves cant commit to anything other than the checkers estimate, but i think in this instance it's being very conservative
Hope this helps
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Physically there is no reason why the speeds you get with TalkTalk equipment should differ from those using BT equipment (since your exchange is 21CN enabled). The speed you currently get from TalkTalk ties in with estimates based on your downstream line attenuation of 53dB which implies a distance from the exchange (line length) of 3.8 km (2.36 miles). Switching your connection to BT equipment should not change the attenuation - but there is always risk that it might because wires are re-patched.
The 1Mbps estimate you've been given seems conservative to me. Perhaps this is due to the service asset for your broadband and phone being held by TalkTalk so BT are guessing based on location. If what you got was that low in my view a fault would be indicated but persistence would likely be needed to get this accepted and progressed by BT. The staff on here couldn't promise this but I would expect them to help.
Unfortunately you are right that there is no way of knowing in advance what speeds you will actually get. Should you take the risk? Your call - if you are entirely happy with TalkTalk probably not. However since something sparked your inclination to switch I wouldn't want to discourage you.
Hope this also helps.
David
David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: puzzledoff
So it may be that TalkTalk are using better, more capable equipment in the Welton exchange than BT (which Plusnet are using) are?

It is not a matter of being better or more capable, but rather just different.
Generally it is perceived that LLU operators are running their kit for speed at the expense of stability.  BT DLMs are configured to run the lines for stability at the expense of speed.  This could lead to a slight reduction of speed under BT 21CN service.
There are a number of threads around here from some irate individuals over a few 100kbps difference between Sky LLU and BT 21CN.  These are exactly what they are - estimates - there are no guarantees in this technology space.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Personally, I'd say give us a try (well, I suppose I would), and if things don't go as well as we'd like, at least you know that you get excellent community support here. We also have a UK only call centre plus many other benefits.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
puzzledoff
Grafter

Thanks for the advice, guys - I've decided to give Plusnet a try.  I've been more than happy with TalkTalk, but the Plusnet deal was unbeatable, and TalkTalk couldn't/wouldn't get anywhere near it.
If it turns out that Plusnet really is able to deliver only the estimated 1mbps, as against TalkTalk's 3.8, I'm going to be a pretty disappointed customer (though Plusnet can justifiably say I was warned!).  I hope in that situation the Plusnet support people would be decent and try to find a mutually satisfactory way out of the problem.  1mbps would be near as dammit unusable for all practical purposes, and I'd have to find some way out.
puzzledoff
Grafter

For what it's worth, the transfer took place today (phone + broadband) and it was faultless.  Hardly any down time with the phone, and just a few hours with the broadband.  All credit to Plusnet, and to the Customer Support guy I spoke to, who was very much on the ball as to what was happening.
And the speed?  3.3 mbps - not quite as good as TalkTalk, but rather better than the predicted 1mbps.  Happy with that, given the pricing difference for the first year.  If the price increases next year, I'll be a new customer to TalkTalk and rather more financially attractive to them than I was as an existing customer!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Can you post your new DSL line stats please?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Hi puxzzledoff, welcome to Plusnet. Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback. Glad to hear your speed has proved similar to that from TalkTalk. Smiley
David