cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet needs to change there trusted broadband speed test site!

Jordan2703

Plusnet needs to change there trusted broadband speed test site!

This is a long read but i need to state this as plusnet is breaching the contract i have with them!

Ive been with plusnet for a while now and to be honest i have not had a good time with them, when i first joined i was guaranteed 6mbs minimum download speed but i have never received that, anyway first time i called them i got put through to the tech part of plusnet to see whats going on with my speeds, the guy i was speaking with told me to go to speedtest.btwholesaleso i can test my speeds and he can monitor them, before the call to plusnet i tested my speed using 7 different speed test sites (all trusted ones) including 

speedof.me
speed smart
testmynet

and so on, these are all trusted broadband speed sites with all positive reviews and i know there accurate because all of them were giving me near enough the same results (aprox. 2mps download speed) which as you can see thats 4mbs under the guaranteed speed, anyway so when the tech guy told me to go to btwholesale to check my speed i did, at first google was telling me the sites not secure and then windows security popped up saying the same thing, the tech guy told me to go ahead and do it so i did, i received 7.2mbs download speed which is clearly a false read, i retried it 3 times and it gave me 3 completely different results, 1st was 7.2mbs, 2nd was 5.1mbs and 3rd was 8mbs, and to be honest i think the tech guy knew it was wrong but because plusnet somehow trusts the site they told me they cant do anything because on there system my speed was above my minimum guaranteed speed even though it clearly wasn't.

anyway i did a bit of research about the site and im not the only one with problems with the same issue, a bunch of other people with plusnet and other providers are claiming there receiving a false reading from the site too, so im stuck with speeds so slow it takes me 2 days to download a 20GB game and for some reason downloading games from steam and other legit places i get a download speed of 600-800kbps which isnt even 1mbs!. youtube and netflix buffer every 2mins trying to watch a film even though its set at only 480p resolution, its ridiculous that i pay nearly 20quid a month for internet under my guaranteed speeds and plusnet wont do anything about it, ive tried putting a complaint in 2 months ago but not heard anything back, in total ive made 5 calls to the tech part and they all say the same thing (nothing they can do) plusnet needs to sort it out, there breaching the contract they have with me. 

I also want to state that i use a PC with an Ethernet cable which is suppose to be faster than wireless

does anyone have any solutions please let me know! Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Plusnet needs to change there trusted broadband speed test site!

Different sites have different approaches to measuring DATA speeds which produce different results. Many speed tests are single threading which do not report optimal speeds.

The assured speed is line synch speed not data speed. What do the router stats report?

Is for the down load speed reported are you certain that the units are bits and not bytes?

The Think Broadband site offers a good reference speed test,

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Jordan2703, firstly, I'm really sorry that you have been experiencing issues with the service.

We ask customers to use the BT speedtester as this has the ability to upload the results so we can view them and use this when raising a fault, though it is not vital you use this site. I'm sorry if this wasn't advised when you contacted us.

I have tested your line today and it shows you currently have a sync speed of 7.6mbps and a stable connection for 7 days (you may have just noticed some drops, this is from me testing, I'm sorry if you were doing anything at the time).

Just to check, when running the tests, there were no other programs running in the background such as streaming, browsing or anti virus updating?

If you haven't already, please can you have a run through our troubleshooting guides here and raise a fault here. If you let us know once done we can pick this up and investigate further for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Jordan2703

yes i am sure there measured correctly, i used a site called speedofme which downloads a fake file to monitor the download speed and that came back with the same result as other sites but just an update, i am now on hold again trying to get through to the tech part as i am now getting 200kbps download speed and 0 upload with 721 ping, this has been my speeds for the past 2 days

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Jordan2703 

I can see that you have subsequently spoken to a tech agent who has agreed to send you out a new router. 

Can you please let us know once you have received this? 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

Jordan2703

yes i will update the results of a new router once tested, i did however follow plusnets suggestions from yesterday by changing the ADSL filter with a new one and that did NOT make any changes to my speed, there is an update on my speed today though, its running around the same 150-200kbps download and 0.1kbps upload with 1024 ping, but ive noticed today that the speed has got so slow that google will no longer load (just keeps attempting to load main page) so i am currently using my pc with mobile hotspot as my data is now faster than my wifi, 

Also want to ask what will happen if it turns out to be a technical issue on plusnets side as i have paid every month since i joined and havnt received the speeds as promised?   

Jordan2703

No my speeds is not a result of you checking, i am not getting speed drops i am getting a constant speed of 200kbps and between 3 days ago and when i joined i was getting under 1mbs download speed, i know on your system what it says im getting because they tell me the same result every time i call (strange right) but i am not receiving those speeds, if i was getting those speeds i would be able to stream films with no issue, i would be able to download games with no issue and i would be able to play games without a 1000ping, so whatever it says im getting on your end im not.

and no every program was closed i made sure of that with task manager, and all my games are set to update manually.

The problem is not on my side, as the only thing thats changed since i was with sky is the router and filter that plusnet provided and i was running speeds at 10mbs minimum with sky so its clearly an issue with the product you sent out or something on your side thats not right.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @Jordan2703,

Thanks for getting back to us and I am sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your service.

We need to locate the cause of the issue and get your connection back to where it should be. Once this has been achieved it is at that point we would look at services you have paid for but not received.

Please let us know how you get on with the new router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team