cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet gateway and DNS problems

avant-guvnor
Grafter

Plusnet gateway and DNS problems

For the past couple of years, I have been very happy with my Plusnet ADSL broadband service, DSL connection has been solid with down speeds over 18,000 kbps.

However, since the beginning of April I have started getting a problem where I am unable to access any web page from any web browser from any LAN device. My TG582n-Pro router has Dynamic DNS enabled and the event log is also showing a DYNDNS error. Web services such as skype and some streaming devices still work, probably because they use a dedicated IP address to connect.

From any LAN device, if I connect to my vpn i.e., bypassing Plusnet, I can browse again.

When the browsing problem occurs, the router shows no other issues with the Broadband LED, Internet LED and WiFi LED all green.

I have also reverted to my original Plusnet TG582n router and after a while, the same browsing problem occurs.

So, it looks to me like an intermittent DNS problem when connected to Plusnet. The issue can often automatically resolve itself after several hours or I can re-connect the internet service via the router gui, and the issue is resolved.

I have logged a fault with Plusnet, but the fault engineers seem to ignore the data and keep banging on about the line, even though I have told them numerous times that there are NO line problems. I have given up with the fault engineers and I am hoping someone in these forums has any ideas and/or suggestions. TIA

49 REPLIES 49
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Plusnet gateway and DNS problems

Thanks for your post @avant-guvnor 

I'm sorry for the issues you're having with your broadband connection.

Looking through the notes on the ticket ref 213389740 I think we can rule out a DNS issue because I can see you've tried other DNS like Google's and Cloudflare's as well as more than one router.  

If there was an issue with our network then this is generally something that would affect loads of people and we'd see a lot more reports of a similar nature which from what it looks like we aren't.

Having said that I'd like to see how things are without your static IP and moving you onto an IP of a dynamic range, so I've made some changes to remove the static IP now which will route your service across our network a little differently, bypassing our BNG's (Broadband Network Gateways).

Can you reboot your router and let me know how it goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
avant-guvnor
Grafter

I have rebooted my router and I now have a different public ip. Web page browsing is currently working.

However, I can't login into my router with my username and password any more.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @avant-guvnor 

Changing your IP wouldn't affect you from logging into your router settings.

Can you do a factory reset of the router and try again using the default username and password for the router? 

For the TG582N we supply the username is admin and the password the serial number beginning with CP

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
avant-guvnor
Grafter

TG582N factory reset and re-configured.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Cool. Keep us posted on how it goes. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Gandalf has @avant-guvnor tried setting DNS servers directly on a device when the problem occurs ?

There was a DNS issue with the TG582N some years ago https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/DNS-problems-with-Technicolor-TG582n/td-p/1181838

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Not by the looks of it, but this comment suggests it could be the same issue:

From any LAN device, if I connect to my vpn i.e., bypassing Plusnet, I can browse again.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That was my first thought but this

Looking through the notes on the ticket ref 213389740 I think we can rule out a DNS issue because I can see you've tried other DNS like Google's and Cloudflare's as well as more than one router.  

muddied the water a bit...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

avant-guvnor
Grafter

FYI, I have 2 Technicolor TG582n routers:

Plusnet supplied TG582n:

Software Release: 10.2.2.B
Software Variant: EH
Boot Loader Version: 1.0.5
Product Code: 3701603C
Board Name: DANT-T

and a TG582n-Pro I purchased in 2018:

Software Release: 10.2.5.2
Software Variant: BM
Boot Loader Version: 1.0.1
Product Code: 3689964B
Board Name: DANT-1

The issue has occurred when using both routers, configured via telnet to use Google DNS servers, WANDownSpoofing = disabled and the custom DYNDNS service was modified to use the nic.ChangeIP.com server. Currently both routers are configured to use Plusnet DNS servers.

I have not tried setting DNS servers directly on any LAN device. When the issue occurs, a DYNDNS error appears in the router event log, as the router cannot contact the nic.ChangeIP.com server.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

he issue has occurred when using both routers, configured via telnet to use Google DNS servers

If its a problem with the routers dns caching then that wont make any difference. When it happens again, if you could try an nslookup  both using the default DNS server ( i.e the router ) and also googles

i.e

nslookup bbc.co.uk

nslookup bbc.co.uk 8.8.8.8

if the first fails and the second succeeds, then its the router dns cache not forwarding DNS requests properly

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@avant-guvnor To rule out an issue with the TG582N are you happy if we send you a newer router of ours? 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
avant-guvnor
Grafter

@MisterW If its a problem with the routers dns caching then that wont make any difference. When it happens again, if you could try an nslookup  both using the default DNS server ( i.e the router ) and also googles

Will do.

avant-guvnor
Grafter

@Gandalf To rule out an issue with the TG582N are you happy if we send you a newer router of ours?

Yes, I'm happy.

What concerns me though, is why the issue would start occurring when the service has been rock solid for over 2 years and why changing my ip from static to dynamic might resolve the issue.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@avant-guvnor Moving from a static to dynamic IP takes out a piece of equipment in our network out of the equation. It's a fairly long shot and I'm not expecting this to actually help but I thought it'd be worth a try. 

Has this change resolved the issue btw or is it too soon to tell?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet