cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet failing to get my service up and running

bavtech

Plusnet failing to get my service up and running

Hi.
My service was "activated" on monday 2nd June. So far I have had absolutely no joy in getting a service. In short my DSL light flashes and then goes off and then starts flashing again. I have tried 2 routers (d-link (supplied by PLusnet) and a Vigor 2800), 3 DSL cables and 3 filters.
I raised an ticket on tuesday (ID 25230423) , and have had some esoteric replies (e.g. The next action on your Contact Us Ticket is due on Monday 9th June at 2:00pm. This ticket will remain open with the BOT - DSL Logged Faults - No Syn until this time).
The issue has apparently been raised with BT who are supposed to be investigating it. It would appear that all Plusnet can do is "try again in 3 days" (from the above ticket comment) and are unable to get BT to action any actual remedy. This is not the start to our relationship I would have hoped for.
Maybe I should have signed up with BT broadband so I could have had any connection difficulties resolved by now without this 3rd party deadlock.
Honestly, to be told that it is in the hands of BT and all Plusnet can do is wait 72 hours for a response suggests strongly that they are not in an adequate position to provide such a service. The issue being in BT's hands is one thing, but I would have expected Plusnet to be able to get them to do something in under a week (tues 3rd to what appears is going to be next monday now).
I joined plusnet because of resonable feedback from collegues who are now appalled with the response from Plusnet. Most people say for me to dump them after being shown my fault ticket and lack of service.
Hopefully,
Bav

28 REPLIES 28
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Plusnet failing to get my service up and running

Quote from: bavtech
My service was "activated" on monday 2nd June. So far I have had absolutely no joy in getting a service. In short my DSL light flashes and then goes off and then starts flashing again. I have tried 2 routers (d-link (supplied by PLusnet) and a Vigor 2800), 3 DSL cables and 3 filters.

I'm sorry to hear that.
I raised an ticket on tuesday (ID 25230423) , and have had some esoteric replies (e.g. The next action on your Contact Us Ticket is due on Monday 9th June at 2:00pm. This ticket will remain open with the BOT - DSL Logged Faults - No Syn until this time).

This means that our faults team have placed your ticket on hold to be reviewed next week.
The issue has apparently been raised with BT who are supposed to be investigating it. It would appear that all Plusnet can do is "try again in 3 days" (from the above ticket comment) and are unable to get BT to action any actual remedy. This is not the start to our relationship I would have hoped for.

BT Wholesale can take 2-3 working days to return a fault to us. This is standard practice and will be the same for any IPStream provider.
Maybe I should have signed up with BT broadband so I could have had any connection difficulties resolved by now without this 3rd party deadlock.

BT Broadband have to follow exactly the same escalation paths we do.
Honestly, to be told that it is in the hands of BT and all Plusnet can do is wait 72 hours for a response suggests strongly that they are not in an adequate position to provide such a service. The issue being in BT's hands is one thing, but I would have expected Plusnet to be able to get them to do something in under a week (tues 3rd to what appears is going to be next monday now).

I'll check to see if we've heard anything back yet. If we have we might be able to progress things this side of the weekend.
I joined plusnet because of resonable feedback from collegues who are now appalled with the response from Plusnet. Most people say for me to dump them after being shown my fault ticket and lack of service.

I'm sorry you feel that way. As mentioned, I'll see if there's anything I can do to help.
Edit: BT want to book an engineer appointment although an engineer might not have to physically visit your premises, as they may be able to fix your fault remotely.
You'll need to choose 3 different dates and times you would be available for an engineer visit, (stating AM or PM). The earliest date that will be available will be 2 working days after today.
Give our support centre a call or update your ticket with your preference and that'll minimise the potential for any delays.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bavtech

Thanks
I'll call the support desk shortly. I wont be able to update the ticket until I'm back at work next week now as I'm without any internet access
Bav
bavtech

Having called to attempt to arrange a BT engineer it now appears that the next action on my ticket has been moved back from 2:00pm monday to 8:00pm monday!! (see ticket quote below). Every time I call Plusnet, the horizon appears to move back to 3 days hence. Utter nonsense.
I remain hopeful that BT can sort out my connection, if Plusnet can arrange it.
The appointment to arrange an engineer should have been made by Plusnet last tuesday when the fault was 1st reported and all the automated tests were performed, exhausted and inconclusive. I can see no excuse for this delay.
Bav
Ticket quote:
The next action on your Contact Us Ticket is due on Monday 9th June at 2:00pm. This ticket will remain open with the BOT - DSL Logged Faults - No Syn until this time.

Script User Automated Script Pool 2:53pm, Friday 6th June 2008
The Question 25230423 has been released from hold and sent back to BOT - DSL Logged Faults - No Syn
Your fault Ticket has now been taken off hold.
This has now been forwarded to the relevant support team. We will carry on investigating your problem and your open fault will be updated as soon as more information is available.

[INTERNAL]
Ticket now off hold. Please action.

{snip staff name}
Your support request has been escalated to the correct team for review.

{snip staff name}
CSC Analyst 8:31pm, Friday 6th June 2008
The next action on your Contact Us Ticket is due on Monday 9th June at 8:00pm. This ticket will remain open with the BOT - DSL Logged Faults - No Syn until this time.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Presumably they can't do anything until BT have been and done whatever they do and fed it back to them. So it makes sense to put a marker in a few hours after the scheduled visit to chase in case they don't get that feedback.
I know you're unhappy due to the problems, but having run many a "help desk" that seems entirely logical to me.
bavtech

Presumably they can't do anything until BT have been and done whatever they do ....

Exactly. So why wasn't an apointment requested / arranged with BT on tuesday when it was apparent where the fault lay and Plusnet had performed their tests, instead of waiting until friday night with the weekend  looming and no hope of getting it rectified?
Is it normal, if my service was running, that a line fault would take in excess of a week before Plusnet could persuade an engineer to investigate?
godsell4
Rising Star

Is it normal ... a line fault would take in excess of a week before ... an engineer to investigate?

Afriad so, and that would be with any ISP you care to name.
The checks are there to try to be sure the problem is not with your router or home phone wiring, if BTW turn up and find the issue is of your doing, then face a £150 or so bill.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think you are misinterpreting what having your ticket on hold means - one thing it doesn't mean that your fault is not being worked on. I can only guess since I don't have access to your ticket information but I imagine PlusNet reported your fault to BT on receipt of the ticket, then placed your ticket on hold, potentially until 2pm Monday, awaiting BT response. It appears a response was received today and the ticket manually released at 2:53pm for further action (ie ahead of the designated release schedule). I would guess the BT response requested a site visit and that information should have been added to your ticket.
Assuming you gave them a date (have you?), that will have been booked, then your ticket placed on hold again, potentially until 8pm Monday (24 weekday hours). That doesn't stop it being manually released again, as it was today, if action is possible.
Have you given Plusnet a mobile number so that ticket updates can be sent by text to you? That might help to minimise delays.
David
Heloman
Grafter

Is it normal, if my service was running, that a line fault would take in excess of a week before Plusnet could persuade an engineer to investigate?

My problem with BT was different in that suddenly my 'phone stopped working although ADSL was still fine.
It took them a week before they they even had time to investigate it, and ten days before it was working.
They very kindly gave me free call transfer to my mobile, but not a penny rebate on my line rental.....
My sympathies are with PN!
itsme
Grafter

Did you inquire about a refund. A few years ago lost the use of my phone and it took over a week to fix. I got a rebate but it was not automatic you had to apply for one. At that time it was a month rental for every day the phone was down over the a certain time. Believe this has changed but rebates are available.
MornaMunro
Dabbler

We're in pretty much the same position. This is currently the second time we've tried to get the problem fixed and as yet my mother, who i organised the Broadband for, has been virtually unable to use the internet. We've got a similar ticket which says there in nothing we can do until Saturday. My mother is in the countryside in NE Scotland and it seems unlikely that there will be a problem with the line as our Neighbours have BT Broadband which works fine at the speeds they were told it would. We will wait until the weekend before taking any further action as it would appear that this is how long a line check will take. This is what they said:
The next action on your Contact Us Ticket is due on Saturday 12th July at 6:00pm. This ticket will remain open with the BOT - DSL Logged Faults - No Syn until this time.
Script User Automated Script Pool 6:44pm, Wednesday 9th July 2008
The Question 25592846 has been released from hold and sent back to BOT - DSL Logged Faults - No Syn
Your fault Ticket has now been taken off hold.
This has now been forwarded to the relevant support team. We will carry on investigating your problem and your open fault will be updated as soon as more information is available.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We've got a similar ticket which says there in nothing we can do until Saturday.

Is this a fault ticket that we've passed to BT? If so the ticket is placed on hold for 48-72 hours to await a response from them, it doesn't mean the fault isn't being worked on at their side. If you want to let me know a ticket number from your Mother's account I'll see if I can get an update for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MornaMunro
Dabbler

Is this the ticket number? The Question 25592846
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Yep that's great, thanks.
Looking at the ticket we raised it to BT yesterday as a no sync fault. It was placed on hold for 72 hours in order to await their response, however they have responded faster so the ticket is now off hold with our faults team. Looking at the fault it's been sent back to as saying that no fault could be detected, this doesn't actually mean there isn't a fault and tends to be the first response we get back from BT most times. Our faults team will pick this up and get the fault back to BT for further investigations, they'll contact you each step if they need more informatim.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MornaMunro
Dabbler

Okay Chris thanks for that. FYI I am in Moscow (yes that Moscow) which doesn't help when trying to set-up Broadband for your retired parents!!! I chose Plusnet because of the reviews I'd read about your customer support (and the price of course!) Will the support people be in touch by e-mail or can I expect them to call my parents or both?