cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Technicolor Router Issues!

kaspianthelion

Plusnet Technicolor Router Issues!

I'm a new customer to Plusnet Fibre and I've always been a big fan of PlusNet (coming back to you after a 2 year absence with BT).
Since the service has been installed, the speeds have settled at a great rate with good ping so very happy.
HOWEVER!
the range of the Wi-Fi is terrible. I live in a one bedroom flat and the router is in my living room but I do not get Wi-Fi in the bedroom, no more than 15-20 metres away. The HomeHub from BT gave us almost full signal in the bedroom and even in the car outside with phones and whatnot.
I've looked at your pages on improving the Wi-Fi but nothing seems to help.
8 REPLIES 8
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Plusnet Technicolor Router Issues!

Hi Kaspainthelion:  Have you tried changing the channel the wifi is operating on?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If you prefer you can use the existing homehub on the new plusnet service.
Follow the guide below created by me.
The guide works on all hubs not just 2 & 3
http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/using-a-bt-homehub-3-or-2-on-plusnet-adsl-or-fttc/
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

If you do not have it, find and download inSSIDer.  It will show you any near by wifi networks and help you choose a channel which is free / less contested over which you might get a better wifi experience.
I have a PN router upstairs in my pub and it adequately covers most of the building.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kaspianthelion

I can see that most of the routers in my area are on channels 1, 6 and 11.
I've tried changing but seen no improvement so far. Very frustrating.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Have you tried a channel 'in the middle' of the used ones 30e.g. 3/4 or 8/9 or even 13?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

In theory it's worse to partly overlap with other channels, and better to be on the same channel.
There are a few settings that can be changed via telnet which are supposed to improve the wireless: http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#w300
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@ejs - one learns something new each day - do you have any references for this please?  Might explain why one of my laptops does not connect to the otherwise stronger / more logical AP.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25