cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Protect

garywood84
Rising Star

Plusnet Protect

Anyone using Plusnet Protect for Internet security?  I currently use Norton Internet Security and have done for years, but I'm wondering whether to switch to Plusnet Protect when my current Norton licence ends, since I've now signed up for Extra Fibre, and so could get Plusnet Protect for "free".
Any thoughts?  I think it's a rebranded version of McAfee Internet Security, and there seem to be mixed reports of this online with some sites saying it has a low virus detection rate, but I'd appreciate comments from anyone who is using it in the real world.
18 REPLIES 18
BRABUS
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Protect

I would also be interested to hear what people think of it as I use Norton as well but fancy using the McAfee on my virtual machines.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am saying nowt  Lips_are_sealed as my views on McAfee are well known and I can get it for free as well now since I had to move to Extra  Sad
BRABUS
Grafter

Cards on the table....I am not a fan of McAfee and would rather save my norton licenses for my laptops etc.  I just figured it may be ok for fiddling with my virtual machines

Maybe I wont bother then  - cheers Jim Wink
garywood84
Rising Star

Jim - I've not seen you comment on McAfee before, but I take it you've had a bad experience with it?
Maybe I should stick with Norton?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Plusnet/BT must have been given a cheap deal on McAfee software.  I find it temperamental, demanding of computer resources, slow and too tolerant of pesterware.  In my opinion the free-to-all Microsoft Security Essentials is much better but if you want to buy security software then Norton is much better too. 
x47c
Grafter

I'd agree totally with "ReedRichards" comments on this one.
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

I've found McAfee to be as good as any for virus-type checking but not so hot for spyware and the like. What eventually caused me to drop it was the ever-increasing load that its autoupdating process placed on machines. Bearable on the fastest ones but brought slower and low-memory ones to their knees for a considerable time after switch-on. There are others around which do just as good a job and load the machine less.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've never understood why people pay for their security? Undecided Fair enough the PN Protect is "free" depending on package. I could use it but choose not to, possibly it's McAfee by another name?
I've used Avast Free antivirus, Comodo Free firewall, Superantispyware Free and Malwarebytes' Free for years and never had any problems with viruses, trojans, malware etc. because they've been picked up and dealt with effectively by the free stuff! Smiley
brokenthumb
Grafter

fwiw ... .. .
Having been with McAfee for 5+ years, I never had a virus until today, that is, I may have had one but that nice pop up thingy told me that all was well and the product I had paid for directly before joining Plusnet, and indirectly since had done it's job.
Today the wheels came off, I managed to acquire a 'ransom' virus through perfectly legitimate surfing, my virus senses tingled, I rebooted to safe mode, ran a scan, took the dog for a walk.
Upon my return McAfee was boasting proudly about eradicating a threat to my system, so I rebooted.
My joy lasted about 30 seconds, before I had even opened Firefox, the virus re-appeared. I went through the whole 'safe mode scan reboot' charade twice more to be sure I was not delusional.
Ever the optimist, I rebooted to safe with network, put on my search googles 😛 and found the McAfee UK helpline. After being connected to someone in the sub continent, after having a lecture about my Flash player should be up to date at 11.2 (more later), after having a lecture about using Site Advisor (more later), after being offered an online technician to fix the problem for a small sum, I declined in the short term.
Another minute or two of safe surfing and one name kept cropping up, Kaspersky, what the hell I thought, click, download, click, click again, 2 minutes later, 'Virus blah has been pwned, reboot, live long and prosper'
It did what it said on the tin. Problem solved, normal playing of Bejewelled and other tat has resumed.
Epilogue ... .. .
Call centre guy told me to get the new Flash 11.2, it's actually 11.4.
Call centre guy told me to use Site Advisor, well um it's supposed to kick in for 'hot' sites, and, he totally forgot they disabled it for weeks because it was crashing the service host.
As for the  fix price for the virus which is catalogued on their own website from 23rd August, only £90, yup only £90, the price of four years domestic licence to fix a virus they have had in their database for a fortnight.
I considered the Kaspersky 30 day trial, it told me three programs had to be removed for it to work, they all began with McAfee, well played.
There are cheaper ISP's out there, if I have to factor in anti virus costs, it could be time to go, hey ho.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you are considering Kaspersky have a look here £11.49 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kaspersky-Internet-Security-2012-License/dp/B004YZRFDW/ref=sr_1_4?s=software... and you can use the key on 2013 with no problem. Just download it from here http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/internet-security-latest-versions
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

All these ISP-supplied "free" antivirus programs come from a time before the launch of Microsoft Security Essentials.  That is absolutely free and entirely effective.  The whole notion that your ISP should supply security software is outmoded.  If you want to buy security software then shop around - don't just go with whatever your ISP could pick up on the cheap.   
brokenthumb
Grafter

Thanks Jim, that looks very tempting, the money I could save by moving to Sky would more than cover it.
RR, I'll also look into the Essentials package, however I had a poor experience about 3-4 years ago with their, I forget the name, something along the lines of 'System Care', which totally hoohah'd my registry requiring a complete reload, not even the Recovery Disk would function. Guess what, it's unsupported now, hey ho.
I don't see McAfee as a free ISP tag on, I see it as part of my monthly subscription to Plusnet, it's out there on the open market, my main beef is they wanted £90 to fix a problem they knew existed a fortnight beforehand, and, Kaspersky fixed in less than a dog walk.
maximod
Grafter

I have used Kaspersky for years now, delighted with it.
Even better when you can get it for £11.99 for 3 users for 12 months, a no brainer !
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: brokenthumb
I don't see McAfee as a free ISP tag on, I see it as part of my monthly subscription to Plusnet

Yes, but it isn't any good.  And AFAIK you pay £2 per month extra to get it!  Cancel.
Quote from: brokenthumb
it's out there on the open market, my main beef is they wanted £90 to fix a problem they knew existed a fortnight beforehand, and, Kaspersky fixed in less than a dog walk.

Which perfectly demonstrates my contention that it isn't any good.